Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,571,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What Pelosi is doing to federal workers and contract employees is unconscionable. Heck, she was going to fly off to the other side of the world and put them on hold for ten days.
Trump owns this and he is proud of it. He doesn't care about anyone but himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Do you think those that post lies on this forum are unaware that they are posting lies, or are they misinformed and unable to fact check?

Just wondering, because the trip was not a 10 day trip.
Like Trump, some make it up as they go.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,975,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No, because they will still get paid eventually.

Why would creditors or banks start penalizing folks for missed payments, with otherwise excellent credit, when they know its only due to the shutdown?

No one is going to do something stupid over 1 or 2 missed payamnets after they just explained to their creditors what’s going on. If anything they’ll just extend the loan out.
Eh, depends on the creditor. Some like cell phone providers are waving the fees for now but banks and creditors are not unless they offer account assurance like my Hot Topic card.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
That is not true. The 1.6b was already given to Trump during the first CR of his presidency and is being used to build border infrastructure as we speak. But it’s no where near enough to secure the border. There was ZERO dollars for border infrastructure in any of the subsequent CRs. The democrats are refusing to come to the table, unwilling to give a penny on border infrastructure. Pelosi has said that even if they sign a short term CR she will not even discuss border infrastructure of any kind.
Fake news as you know she didn't say that.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Trump did not issue any such orders. Do people really believe that Trump issued some kind of legal order or EO or veto to shut down government? You do realize that the govt automatically enters shutdown when a spending bill expires and a new one has not passed. Congress has not passed any bill. Congress has all the legal power here.

Pelosi could end the shutdown by simply consenting to wall funding, which is a trivial fraction of a percentage point of the budget and 2x less than what she consented for foreign aid to Central America.
“I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck. … I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I’m not going to blame you for it.” Donald Trump

Old 01-18-2019, 10:33 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,511,741 times
Quote:
Waahhh! Waaahhh! You started it... waahhh!

Grow up.
You should give that advice to Mein Trump.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:23 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,852,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Like Trump, some make it up as they go.
Following the pathological liar in chief like sheep; probably not a great idea.

My hope is that he is ending this nightmare of a shutdown. Too many people are suffering. Trump knows how to take the joy right out of life. He needs to either grow up or leave the Oval Office.

Growing up may be too late for the old geezer. I think he is in way over his head and he may have suddenly realized this. Who knows.

Just give us some good news old man. Put your huge ego and mania aside and give America it's dignity again. Instead of MAGA, you have made it worse; temporarily of course, we will overcome this and come back again.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:59 AM

24,784 posts, read 9,567,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Eh, depends on the creditor. Some like cell phone providers are waving the fees for now but banks and creditors are not unless they offer account assurance like my Hot Topic card.
Source, I find that hard to believe

Literally every credit card website I visited has that, "If the shutdown is affecting you, please contact us so we can help." Same when there is a natural disaster.

Not giving federal customers some slack is the fastest way to lose customers when they get their paychecks back and the government is open.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:40 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,408,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Source, I find that hard to believe

Literally every credit card website I visited has that, "If the shutdown is affecting you, please contact us so we can help." Same when there is a natural disaster.

Not giving federal customers some slack is the fastest way to lose customers when they get their paychecks back and the government is open.

After we had a recent devastating hurricane our bills rolled
in as usual , couple of companies charged late fees.
Spectrum was/is the worst , relentless, even though calls
were made to explain the situation.
Big companies don't care that much to loose a customer or two.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:19 AM

51,678 posts, read 25,934,948 times
Not easy to understand Trump's plays here.

He turns his back on a bill that had the $1.6 billion he'd asked for. This hangs McConnell out to dry, and Mitch disappears

Then Trump insists on reporters being in the room while he claims credit for the shutdown. Seemed odd to me, but Trump is the master of 3D chess moves, so who am I to say?

Pelosi is elected Speaker of the House, and gets bills passed to open the government back up. McConnell refuses to bring the legislation up for a Senate vote until he has Trump's word, whatever that might be worth.

Trump announces that the shutdown could go on for months, years even. Makes no difference to him.

Since Trump clearly has no personal stake in ending the shutdown, Pelosi offers one up. He doesn't get to stand in front of Congress and the country spouting his lies and nonsense until the shutdown is over. He can send in a written report or deliver another lackluster Oval Office speech. Makes no difference to her.

Trump retaliates by not only cancelling a military flight Pelosi and a Congressional delegation were taking to Afghanistan, but then leaking the details of the alternative commercial flight, putting everyone associated with it in danger.

Instead of being seen as the master negotiator making Pelosi stay in DC, he comes off as a **** putting Americans in danger.

Pelosi cancels the trip to Afghanistan and heads off for a three-day holiday with friends and family.

Mrs. Trump takes the military jet to Palm Springs, as she has every weekend throughout the shutdown.

Trump is stuck in DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies