Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,007,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm a federal worker, and I missed my last paycheck, and by the looks of it I will miss my next one. Sure, I'll get back pay when the government reopens, but no one knows when that is. I'm one financial burden away from catastrophe. I'm living off of my savings. How is this shutdown fair to me, or the other 800,000 people in my position? Many of them who may be in worse situations. I cannot believe I have co-workers taking out loans to pay for daycare so that they can continue to go to work and not know when they will get paid again. This is a disaster, people are going under water trying to survive.

I am working thru the shutdown...no pay either.....and I hear ya....my office the same. Worry over future bills ..many are OK at this exact moment but we don't know when pay comes....that is very stressful to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
Anyone concerned that a fed employee will do something crazy as this shutdown continues and even more so as it drags even further? Maybe one that has missed a couple of mortgages and about to get a foreclosure notice.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'm a federal worker, and I missed my last paycheck, and by the looks of it I will miss my next one. Sure, I'll get back pay when the government reopens, but no one knows when that is. I'm one financial burden away from catastrophe. I'm living off of my savings. How is this shutdown fair to me, or the other 800,000 people in my position? Many of them who may be in worse situations. I cannot believe I have co-workers taking out loans to pay for daycare so that they can continue to go to work and not know when they will get paid again. This is a disaster, people are going under water trying to survive.
What tRump is doing to federal workers and contract employees is unconscionable.

Everyone deserves to be paid for their work.

I wish you and your family well through this trying time.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:04 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Anyone concerned that a fed employee will do something crazy as this shutdown continues and even more so as it drags even further? Maybe one that has missed a couple of mortgages and about to get a foreclosure notice.
No, because they will still get paid eventually.

Why would creditors or banks start penalizing folks for missed payments, with otherwise excellent credit, when they know its only due to the shutdown?

No one is going to do something stupid over 1 or 2 missed payamnets after they just explained to their creditors what’s going on. If anything they’ll just extend the loan out.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,767 times
  • Trump says he will be proud to own the shutdown.
  • Republicans negotiate with other Republicans to end the shutdown with a bill that is then passed by the Republican-controlled House and Republican-controlled Senate by wide margins.
  • Trump says he will sign the bill.
  • Fox News calls Trump weak for keeping the government open.
  • Trump backs down to appease Fox News, vetoes bill. We enter the new year.
  • Democrats take control of the house. Send the same bill Republicans worked with Republicans to create to the Senate
  • Republican Senator Mitch McConnell blocks the bill Republicans created and he and the other Republican senators near unanimously voted yes on mere weeks ago. His stated reasoning is that he never took a middle-school civics class where the role of Congress was taught and doesn't understand the basics of the American Government.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:24 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
The thing is, he is screwing over a large part of his 2016 base - veterans. I don’t know if people truly understand how many federal employees are veterans. Veterans are 31% of the federal workforce, and growing. And no, that DOESN’T include the military. I’m talking civilians. He has shown by this extended juvenile tantrum that he doesn’t give a crap about them. Talk about shooting oneself in one’s foot. If I was a federal employee and veteran who voted for Trump, I wouldn’t be voting for him again, since he is so proud to be forcing them to work without pay.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:57 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...v0eenBePmqpv9I

Freshman Democrats Turn on Pelosi Over Border Wall, Seek Deal with Trump

Old 01-17-2019, 11:19 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...v0eenBePmqpv9I

Freshman Democrats Turn on Pelosi Over Border Wall, Seek Deal with Trump
Fake Breitfart nonsense

Old 01-17-2019, 11:27 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I have two relatives who work for a government contractor and they have been sitting at home with no pay. They have always been avid Trump supporters but seem to be undergoing a change of heart. They would now swap getting the wall for getting back to work. Funny how the wall is suddenly not as important as it used to be for them.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:23 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
No, because they will still get paid eventually.

Why would creditors or banks start penalizing folks for missed payments, with otherwise excellent credit, when they know its only due to the shutdown?

No one is going to do something stupid over 1 or 2 missed payamnets after they just explained to their creditors what’s going on. If anything they’ll just extend the loan out.
Acts of God not covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies