Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,720,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I have asked this multiple times in this thread with no answer. Say they do to your satisfaction. Then what? Is it a magic pill that instantly heals you and the disparity that has numerous causes disappears?

How is it that you can vouch for conservatives, but when I make a statement about racism in conservatives, I am making broad generalizations?

Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So are you saying that people who don't agree with you that historical inequality is the root cause of current economic disparities are racist?

There are 66 pages of my argument.....go back and reread. My position is clear.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So how much recognition will satisfy you Indentured Servant? I suspect you'll never be satisfied, that's why you drone on. Hey if it's how you want to live your life, you are free to do so.

If you get stuck in the past you can't move forward.

I have moved forward in my life. Achieved much more than my parents and hope that I am blessed enough to keep moving forward. How about this.....if you forget the past you are doomed to repeat it.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:20 PM

37,956 posts, read 17,896,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
How is it that you can vouch for conservatives, but when I make a statement about racism in conservatives, I am making broad generalizations?
Conservatives are no more and no less racist than others.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Not all conservatives accept the conservative "package deal" of beliefs. They might be more interested in the "small government" aspect of conservatism, but recognize the injustices against African Americans historically and the role it played in making society unequal.
lol That is what a conservative is. From the word conserve, use less of.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
In 2019, the only thing holding back blacks in themselves. As a Chinese American, I don't see the AA culture/community valuing academic achievement, instead they value athletic prowess and musical "talent", and their role models are celebrities. I don't know any AA young person who has Obama or his wife as a role model. Obama doesn't speak or act at all like them. He is just an Uncle Tom. He's not a player or street tough. And the AA community also doesn't practice frugality. They'd rather look cool with their expensive weaves and hair extensions, wear flashy jewelry and drive a leased Escalade, than save money towards buying a house.

In addition, over the years, I've met and worked with a lot of blacks recently immigrated from Haiti and Africa, and they just don't understand what's wrong with the AA community. Recent black immigrants work a lot harder than AA blacks, and they live frugally and save towards having their own business or buying real estate.

Otherwise, of white trash people, they live like ghetto blacks. They don't care about school or getting into the skilled trades. They smoke cigarettes, get drunk every night after work and spend stupid amounts of money on tattoos. Their trash culture is also broken.

What black ghetto culture and white trash culture have in common, is that both groups want instant gratification. They both fail the marshmallow test. They'd rather have that one marshmallow right away, instead of waiting 15 minutes to get two marshmallows.

So my point is, in this day and age, there is a bigger and bigger gap between those who don't care about academics or skilled trades... and those who work hard to gain a valuable work skill, build a good career, and practice financial smarts to build equity in themselves. It's not about skin colour or past history, it's about living in the now and looking forward to the future. Stop dwelling on the past, because that's going to stifle what could have been a brighter future.
What their cultures have in common is that they were at a disadvantage since many are raised in single parent families.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,772,302 times
Originally Posted by redwood66
Nearly every person, including conservatives, recognize historical injustices and historical inequality.

Quote:
But not to the degree that they will admit it is the root cause of the economic disparities between blacks and whites today.
No doubt there have been many negative actions by whites effecting blacks in America. But there have also been positive actions - countless uplift programs, scholarships, preferences, stable government jobs... not to mention the infrastructure and institutions themselves, created mostly by whites, that benefit all, including blacks. So what has been the net effect of all these actions by whites, both negative and positive, on blacks?

There's no way to measure that precisely, but we can look at other places in the world where blacks have their own societies and receive far less influence from whites. What if we compared the lot of blacks in, say, Haiti, a neighbor in the Western Hemisphere where the government and societal institutions have been black run for the past 200 years, with that of blacks in the United States? What would we find out? What conclusions might we draw? Hmmm...

Old 01-12-2019, 08:45 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,366,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Why is it ridiculous? No one has accused me as an individual of anything. That kind of means I have no reason to be annoyed. Like I sort of suggested before, if the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it.

Once again, I ask you, have you saved any of your outrage for the poster who talked about the "thug nation," and said that black people's natural hair looks like a Chia Pet? Or the one who talked about putting blacks, gays, feminists, and liberals "back in their place"? It seems to me that comments like that should make an innocent person feel at least as indignant as alleged accusations that don't even apply to them.
To the first part; why do you demand they show outrage for the ridiculous comments of an extremist? I would offer its because you want them to apologize as if those comments are their own, and your badgering them to do so is a cheap debate tactic. Repeating the request until readers inevitably associate the comments with your target.
They did the same thing to Trump over the williamsburg incident. Demanding he condemn something he had no part of, in time they associated it with him as if he sent them there.
Secondly I remember that put in their place comment and that isnt even close to what they said. It seems you have to fabricate positions never stated to argue a point, thats pretty silly. Pretty sure they used a term which described those engaged in counterproductive, politically self serving race baiting. Dont remember what it was but I do remember it was nothing as you specify and meant something completely different. You can quote them directly if you feel I am in error and if so I will retract this.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:00 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,366,775 times
Quote:
There are 66 pages of my argument.....go back and reread. My position is clear.
What she said summarizes your arguments to me on just that point.
You just didnt call me a racist directly. You did however say that argument or way of thinking was racist and thats a similar argument.
It is a cheap arguement, calling someone a derogatory term because they see a situation differently than you.
Furthermore what do you accomplish by calling someone a racist anyway? EVERYONE has racist tendancies. Its natural to be uncomfortable around people different from you and blacks are as guilty as whites of that. Its only reprehensible when it takes the form of denying them jobs or homes, or treating them with disrespect.
I think blacks have to make a choice, do you want a colorblind america with full equality? Or continue to immerse yourselves in the "black experience" all wrapped up in rhetoric about how whites dont understand, and what happened 200 years ago. I dont think you can have it both ways and its obvious equality will never happen until you stop reminding us you are black.
Whats wrong with just AMERICAN?

Old 01-12-2019, 09:39 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
I have moved forward in my life. Achieved much more than my parents and hope that I am blessed enough to keep moving forward. How about this.....if you forget the past you are doomed to repeat it.
Good, you've moved forward. Now if you could only move forward in your mind. Look, I'm a woman and yes some men are still chauvinistic pigs. Women haven't exactly had it easy. Do I focus on it and look for things to be offended about? No, I ignore them and don't let those types in my life.

I can bring home the bacon,
fry it up in the pan,
and never, never, let you forget your a man,
because I'm a woman

Yep, that tune was called the 24 hour woman lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies