Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 02:10 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,371,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No. I can’t prove that black inequality is the result of external causes, but I can prove that if one argues that it is not, that they are arguing that it is internal. I can then prove, via a dictionary, that believing the latter fits the definition of racism.

Internal and external are two sides of a coin, like heads and tail. You can cast aspersions upon the external side and call it the “victim” side or the “blame” side in order to obfuscate and or attempt to shame people into not choosing that side, however, there is no escaping the FACT that if you reject that side of the coin...that you are selecting the other side (internal) which is the side of black innate inferiority. Racist choose that side, whether by intent or effect.
This is a real hoot. Someone points out the inherently self defeating nature of the attitudes and actions of many in the black community and you think that merely crying "racist" could negate that.
I didnt wake up today with the idea of oppressing blacks but if I believed a lot of them thought like you I could come around to it.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:14 PM

39,904 posts, read 26,600,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
This is a real hoot. Someone points out the inherently self defeating nature of the attitudes and actions of many in the black community and you think that merely crying "racist" could negate that.
I didnt wake up today with the idea of oppressing blacks but if I believed a lot of them thought like you I could come around to it.
You wouldn't need to. Those that believe the racist, blame someone else tripe that OP is selling is already "oppressing" themselves far more than any other race ever will.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:15 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,609,298 times
I guess I have just one question at this point.

Why do so many people who do not believe themselves to be in any way racist get so defensive whenever the topic of racism is broached? I seriously don't get that. I mean, it's sort of like complaining about the fit of a shoe that doesn't pinch your foot, isn't it?

Old 01-12-2019, 02:38 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,820,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I guess I have just one question at this point.

Why do so many people who do not believe themselves to be in any way racist get so defensive whenever the topic of racism is broached? I seriously don't get that. I mean, it's sort of like complaining about the fit of a shoe that doesn't pinch your foot, isn't it?
Because applying an -ism to a whole group, in this case conservatives, is offensive no matter what the -ism or group happens to be. Especially since they could and should be applied to individuals on a case by case basis. You don't like being called something you are not especially when it is a particularly offensive thing such as racism. That and it is a canard used to shut down any meaningful discussion.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:46 PM

22,023 posts, read 9,599,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And how many years ago was this said?

Segregation in schools has been abolished for DECADES.

The Equal Rights act was passed DECADES ago.

Affirmative Action has been around for DECADES.

Were you alive back then?

How many of today's blacks were alive back then?

What excuses do yo have NOW?
Equal Rights AMENDMENT never passed. But I get your drift.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:53 PM

22,023 posts, read 9,599,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Black people do not have an advantage in employment, housing or education. Affirmative action primarily helps white women, not us.

Will note, as well that all black people are not of similar beliefs/ideology as the OP. I am black and don't expect anything of the government and don't care about apologies and don't care about what white people think of me at all. I expect people to be prejudiced/racists because people are and I cannot "cure" anyone's racism. That is an issue for that individual and for "the white community" to cure of themselves - not me and not black people.

However, I do agree with the OP that the legacy of overt racial oppression does have a continued impact on the black demographic of this nation. Thinking it doesn't, as stated above, is actually a ridiculous belief to have. Things actually have gotten bettter for black people. I credit black people and our ancestors/activists for the continuous "beautiful struggle" they endured through my mother's lifetime whereas they fought and died and made alliances with other Americans for the betterment of not only our demographic but all American citizens in this nation. I am awed and inspired by them.

Will note on "movement" I don't think the OP is talking about a "movement" he is speaking in regards to history and the legacy of our nation's cultural history (this culture was built upon a white supremacy ideology).

Again to believe that recent history doesn't have an impact on the present is ridiculous to believe. That is like saying that when an earthquake ends or a hurricane its, that nothing will need to be rebuilt because "the event" ended so every negative associated with that event ended. That is also a ridiculous idea to have.

However, I am more focused on black people than white people. White people are not important IMO for black Americans to be trying to get apologies from. It is better to focus on ourselves and most of us focus on ourselves and our communities. Contrary to what many on this thread seem to believe, black people are actually much more socially conscious and aware in regards to the conditions of our people than whites are. We also are more likely to volunteer, mentor/support, and to use our money to support businesses/entrepreneurs who are socially in lined to what we support today.

IMO the OPs view on apologies and reparations is pretty old school. I can respect that view and the person who holds it because I understand where he/she is coming from. But as a "new" school sort of person, I understand that our ancestors struggled and won and that we need to take advantage of what was won for us and that these side conversations about "gaps" and studies that white people do on us, just serves to take our focus away from ourselves and taking advantage of what we have been gifted by our ancestors.
You are awesome, even for a black person. JUST KIDDING. You are just awesome.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:18 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Because applying an -ism to a whole group, in this case conservatives, is offensive no matter what the -ism or group happens to be. Especially since they could and should be applied to individuals on a case by case basis. You don't like being called something you are not especially when it is a particularly offensive thing such as racism. That and it is a canard used to shut down any meaningful discussion.
That is my whole point. If it doesn't apply to you, don't worry about it.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:38 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,820,913 times
Quote:
IOW keep your mouth shut instead of countering the OP's ridiculous broad brush canard. No thanks. Who's worried btw? Not me. Not my problem.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:42 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,345,316 times
Quote:
That’s not how CD works it’s a public forum people are going to respond to what they please...no matter how WRONG their opinion is.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:42 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,734,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
You post threads like this in order to call people racist. Plain and simple. You see yourself as some fountain of wisdom regarding conservatism when you have no idea what you are talking about. Keep up the mantra for reparations. I guarantee that the people just trying to make a living don't want more of their $ taken for generations past transgressions.

I have never ASKED for reparation and only a FOOL would expect reparations while simultaneously arguing how racist the nation is that is expected to pay reparations.

The conservative mantra (parts of it) is that "individual will" and "personal responsibility" accounts for success or the lack of it in America today. They see it in a Darwinian survival of the fittest contest. This is a GENERAL mantra of conservatism that has no color. They believe this regardless of the race of people. Yet, we have the FACT that black poverty rates are nearly 3 times the rate of whites. The conservative labels any attempt to use outside forces (except liberalism) to explain as the "victim mentality" or "race card"...ie...an EXCUSE. Since there is not outside force to explain why blacks are worse off, its implicitly a claim of it being an inside force. Something in the nature of blacks, in other words, makes the black poverty rate nearly three times the rate of whites.

Like I said before. People are mostly followers and parrots. People might not be racist, but when they adapt and follow these conservative mantras, the effect, if not intent, is racist. Like the Dave Chappelle skit about women sending confusing messages....

Conservatives might not be racist......but you are wearing the rhetoric of a racist. You send confusing signals....saying you are not racist....but making arguments that are implicitly racist. If you do not want to be seen as racist....modify your reasoning and or mantras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL-1kHxsavI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies