Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 06:39 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,957,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
My point was clear. I don't want to directly call someone a racist because I do not know if they are or are not. I will say, however, that a line of reasoning or believing can be racist. It's not because people see the situation differently from me....it's that there is a DEFINITION for the term RACISM and the line of reasoning, "the way they see the situation", FITS THE DEFINITION of racism.

I think you and others animus is misplaced. You are challenging me when the entities that you really should be challenging are the ones who put the definition of the term racism in the dictionary. If you have a belief or line of reasoning and that line of reasoning or belief is said, based upon the dictionary, to fit the requirements to be considered "racist"....your problem is not with me. Why don't you write a letter to "Webster" or another publisher of dictionaries and tell them that you object to racism being defined as attributing a performance outcome to "race".
Agreed. And blaming white people for holding down minorities, excuse me blacks since you don't care about other races, is racist. That you don't get that with your silly agenda driven blinders is beyond me.

Why was black UE lower than white UE until the 1920's? Are we more racist now?

Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,620,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I agree I don't like the phrase "put back in their place" (you'll notice I said "ratchet it down") but I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt until it is clear that a comment is racist.
Yes, I did notice that. I generally give the benefit of the doubt, too, but that phrase, as well as some of the other comments made in that post, left me feeling less than usually inclined to do so.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,748,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Good, you've moved forward. Now if you could only move forward in your mind. Look, I'm a woman and yes some men are still chauvinistic pigs. Women haven't exactly had it easy. Do I focus on it and look for things to be offended about? No, I ignore them and don't let those types in my life.

I can bring home the bacon,
fry it up in the pan,
and never, never, let you forget your a man,
because I'm a woman

Yep, that tune was called the 24 hour woman lol

So basically you are telling me that I should be like you. Is that inclusive of breast?

Old 01-13-2019, 06:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,620,404 times
Quote:
To Residing Here 2007,

I can't find your original post to quote, but I take great exception to your remark that Jews, after being tortured and killed in Europe, were able to rise above by abandoning their faith and "becoming white."

Your implication of course is that blacks cannot "become white," and that explains why Jews were able to overcome such a horrific past to become so successful - and that is far from the truth. Rather, it is your attempt to rationalize why Jews have not been held back by their history and so many blacks have.

No, Jews rose above their circumstances because:

1) They delayed gratification and emphasized education, even at great sacrifice
2) They did not have children out-of-wedlock

As I've written before, my grandparents lost almost their entire families in the Holocaust, and they certainly did not abandon their faith. They raised my parents in Orthodox homes. Yet, despite starting with nothing, every one of their children (on both sides) went to college.

And it wasn't just my family. They lived in NYC (and in the 1940s antisemitism was rampant), surrounded by other poor, uneducated Jews who would never see their parents or siblings again. Virtually everyone in the next generation went to college, and even those who didn't started small businesses and ended up living comfortable, middle-class lives.

In short, I take offense that Jews were able to succeed because they abandoned their religion and "became white." They succeeded because they have a good value system which places a strong emphasis on education and two-parent families.
FYI. You can use the advanced search feature to find a specific post. Username, keyword, select a forum and time frame.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:59 AM

19,385 posts, read 6,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
FYI. You can use the advanced search feature to find a specific post. Username, keyword, select a forum and time frame.
Thank you. That's good information.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:01 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,548,434 times
The 13th Amendment hasn’t been repealed. What more do black people want?

Old 01-13-2019, 07:03 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,748,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
This is a garbage argument. I did not vote for Obama but I did vote for Tim Scott and Ben Carson. In fact Tim Scott won in a landslide over his white challenger here in South Carolina a state I’m sure you believe to be racist. People vote for people based on their ideas, not their skin color. You sound like a very vengeful individual I pray that you, or anyone that thinks like you, never gets anywhere near power.

You took my statement to a whole "nother" universe.

I said that conservatives like to use the facts of what white LIBERALS had done in voting in the first black president to caste America in a "good light" in regards to race and to debunk claims that America is still basically a racist nation.

Here are the FACTS. Republicans did NOT choose a black person to be president. You had a choice and opportunity to do so, in Ben Carson, but did not, and have had others, such as Herman Cain....but did not do it. Yet, you like to use what Liberals did to caste white America in a good light in regards to race. Is that not "welfare"....someone else doing the work and you taking credit for it? The people that I hear throwing the election of a black president, to debunk claims of racism in America, are THE PEOPLE WHO DID NOT VOTE FOR A BLACK PRESIDENT. Those are the FACTS. Would have....could have....should have....DID'NT!!! lol.

That having been said. While its true that a vote against Obama did not necessarily mean that one is racist, a vote for Obama did not necessarily mean that one was not. Hence, his election does not prove conclusively, in either direction, in regards to whether America is still a generally racist nation. Besides, the way racism works is that racist WILL front a black person to WORK AGAINST the masses of black people and have them do the dirty work. Thus, one cannot simply look at the color of the candidate, but how their platform and polices REPRESENT black interest, in this representative republic of ours.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:06 AM

15,363 posts, read 12,701,523 times
Everyone likes to point out how other cultures come to
America and prosper. It’s not true but even if it was.. do you think African americans who move overseas end up on welfare and bum around?

Anyone who takes the time to immigrate to a country to better themselves will work hard and do it.

However I bet all the money in the world that in the countries they left there are people in poverty who look just like them.

The history of redlining, racism, etc in America is unique and it’s only been 60 years since Jim Crow ended. Black Americans have probably made more gains in 60 years than any other “race” in America.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Thank you. That's good information.
Here is some good info on Jewish folks who use and abuse the system.

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...923-story.html

Old 01-13-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Hear, hear!

I was accused (online, not IRL) of being a racist because I did not vote for Obama, yet I did vote for the black conservative running in my district. It's about POLICIES, not skin color.

BTW, my district is very liberal and thus the black guy for Congress lost. Should I have accused the liberals in my district of being racist because they didn't vote for him?
So what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies