Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 11:41 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times

Advertisements

"Kamala the man mauler Harris" in the opening round.

https://www.bustle.com/p/kamala-harr...riers-15562507
I feel a sense of responsibility to stand up and fight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 10:06 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That's the only thing you can think of? These are companies who plan their marketing with greater care than was afforded to D-Day. What's happening is pretty simple: There's more money in presenting an inclusive image, and if it alienates some potential customers, the balance sheet still comes out in favor. Asian-Americans and African-Americans have money. Non-traditional families do, too. And most of the money is in the cities, where you can't avoid meeting people of other backgrounds.

In short, it's the market economy leaving you behind - that is all.
So you really think all NYC marketing firms know how to connect with your average consumer by portraying and essentially catering to tiny segments of the population?
Yes, yellow and black people have money, as do other races, but I am not sure how depicting them in interracial relationships means more sales of a particular product.

Anyone experienced with trying to promote their business knows there are thousands of marketing firms, all with different approaches. So why assume the ones that push an liberal/leftist agenda are any better than the ones who promote a more traditional approach?

For example, you need to know your audience. If the product is something new, unusual or the like, maybe portraying a wide variety of minority groups all seated at one table makes sense. It might be fairly unrealistic/uncommon, but it might help to sprinkle one of every race in.
However that is a far cry from depicting interracial couples with mixed kids in a commercial for say an investment firm or insurance company.
The same is true of homosexuals, as while they do typically have disposable income, do they really need to see themselves portrayed in a commercial for XYZ to want to buy that product?

In the mean time some people find it either offensive or repulsive to see such things, and they will go out of their way not to buy the product, just because of the commercial.
Another thing that is baffling is how certain companies make decisions that turn off their core customer base. Dick's Sporting Goods is one such company that alienated their hunting and camping customers, and have seen a decline in their sales of those items.
To me, that shows how liberals/leftists in NYC & LA haven't a clue about how many outside of urban living (in middle America) think and believe.

Again, this all might very well tie into this promotion of empowered women, and as a byproduct, portrayal of men being feminized. This commercial is meant to be amusing, but lets see if you can pick out what is being depicted;

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wSTS/sierra-...ight-or-flight

`

Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
So you really think all NYC marketing firms know how to connect with your average consumer by portraying and essentially catering to tiny segments of the population?
Yes, yellow and black people have money, as do other races, but I am not sure how depicting them in interracial relationships means more sales of a particular product.

Anyone experienced with trying to promote their business knows there are thousands of marketing firms, all with different approaches. So why assume the ones that push an liberal/leftist agenda are any better than the ones who promote a more traditional approach?

For example, you need to know your audience. If the product is something new, unusual or the like, maybe portraying a wide variety of minority groups all seated at one table makes sense. It might be fairly unrealistic/uncommon, but it might help to sprinkle one of every race in.
However that is a far cry from depicting interracial couples with mixed kids in a commercial for say an investment firm or insurance company.
The same is true of homosexuals, as while they do typically have disposable income, do they really need to see themselves portrayed in a commercial for XYZ to want to buy that product?

In the mean time some people find it either offensive or repulsive to see such things, and they will go out of their way not to buy the product, just because of the commercial.
Another thing that is baffling is how certain companies make decisions that turn off their core customer base. Dick's Sporting Goods is one such company that alienated their hunting and camping customers, and have seen a decline in their sales of those items.
To me, that shows how liberals/leftists in NYC & LA haven't a clue about how many outside of urban living (in middle America) think and believe.

Again, this all might very well tie into this promotion of empowered women, and as a byproduct, portrayal of men being feminized. This commercial is meant to be amusing, but lets see if you can pick out what is being depicted;

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wSTS/sierra-...ight-or-flight

`
It shows me how big of a group of snowflakes conservatives can be sometimes.

"OH NOES! THEY ARE SHOWING BLACK PEOPLE AND WHITE PEOPLE (or a homosexual couple)..... TOGETHER!!! I'll never shop there again!"

Grow up folks.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
It shows me how big of a group of snowflakes conservatives can be sometimes.

"OH NOES! THEY ARE SHOWING BLACK PEOPLE AND WHITE PEOPLE (or a homosexual couple)..... TOGETHER!!! I'll never shop there again!"

Grow up folks.
Well you didn't answer the question, just deflected from it.

Also, what do you notice about the commercial I linked above?

`

Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Have you considered that perhaps a huge part of the non-black, non-Asian and non-LGBT population is pro-inclusion?
Quote:
There are only so many slots to fill. Your average spot will have one "Dad", for instance.

Quote:
Do you really need to not see them? To a great part of the audience, it signals inclusiveness, and that's considered a positive - even for those who aren't themselves minorities.

Quote:
Sorta my point. Advertisers have run the numbers and decided that the advantages of signaling an inclusive image outweigh the lost sales to bigots. If you have a problem with mixed-race or same-gender couples, capitalism is leaving you behind, and ain't that a kick in the head?

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 02-18-2019 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 10:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There is an AT&T commercial about a baby sitter babysitting for two gay guys who are going out on a date.

When I see it I think of all the right wingers wringing their hands and getting outraged about it..........then I laugh.
Interesting...I saw a commercial for Dawn dishwashing detergent and they showed at least 3 scenes of guys using it to clean different things - counter/stove/wheel hubcaps. And the spokesperson in the commercial was a woman. So just the opposite of most commercials where men are telling women how to do "domestic chores" - I love it!

Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
The white guy ran and the young woman stood firm, you poor victimized thing, you. After decades of hilarious spins on the trope of women being deathly afraid of mice, they flipped the cliche on its head.

You can always go watch some truck commercials or something.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:37 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Well you didn't answer the question, just deflected from it.

`
I wasn't trying to answer any questions or watch a video. I was making a point. If you are so sensitive and thin skinned that seeing a gay couple on TV makes you boycott a place or it "repulses" you.... I mean, my God, how big of a snowflake do you have to be? And to then argue about having interracial couples as well? The snowflakiest of snowflakes... Sounds like you are just a racist homophobe tbh, but I don't know you well enough to make that determination, only know what it sounds like when you complain about interracial couples and gay people being on TV.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:23 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
Yep. I agree. I was dragged to the theater to see "Incredibles 2". The husband was portrayed as an oaf super hero who messed things up and was taken off the job. His superhero wife was called upon to save the day. It was ridiculously and obviously political.

I get so sick of this leftwing vomit.
Ditto! I almost threw up in my popcorn! Incredibles 1 was really a good movie. My wife is a huge animation fan so I get dragged into quite a few of these types. Some are decent.

Incredibles 2 was horrible. Almost walked out for the reasons you state...

Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Sounds like the t.v. show The Bionic Woman better,stronger,faster ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies