Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 07:29 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm not talking about super hero movies, but other movies, tv shows, and ADVERTISEMENTS (commercials). Check out the new Higgins in the Magnum P.I. reboot. Look into that little difference than the original series. So essentially women are being USED not only for their looks, and sexuality now, but also exploitation of their societal insecurities of existing with MEN.
*Yawn*

Nice try, but the old “bait and switch” isn’t going to work on all of us. People said the same things when minorities (non-whites) started getting air time, and this tactic didn’t silence or stop them either. The world isn’t all about straight, white men anymore... get over it, and join the party! They’re just movies, so 100% realism is not required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
HeyGiz, I had to slug a dude one time and broke his tooth.

Folks, real life women can fight if we need too. Nothing to do with SJW.

Wait, OP, are you from a small rural area where you are surrounded by housewives? Maybe you don't know any modern women.
I honestly wouldn’t have thought I had it in me, even though I’m far from a petite or delicate “flower.” But when you’re in a do-or-die situation (I was defending myself), you can find the strength! I didn’t do any real damage, but he did get a good taste of the pavement.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I am absolutely getting sick of it and I love old and new iconic lady fighters such as Princes Leia, Ellen Riply, Xena, Agent Scully, Elektra and Jessica Jones from Marvel comics and the Netflicks Marvel series, and Michone from the Walking dead.

But is is getting absurd. Look at Carol from the Walking Dead--they routinely portray a middle aged, very upper middle-aged woman at this point, besting sometime huge men in hand-to-hand combat. It is idioic at best.

Or the Star Wars series, where now not only is the new Jedi and apparently every admiral that the the good guys have female, but the men are ALL buffoons, hot-heads, cowards, or dinosaurs. Great Disney, we get the message. Men are the past. Good job. Fortunately, the movies are garbage for enterainment value, so I don't have to hang around and find out how the next one turns out.

Now I understand that the marvel Universe is about to be saved by Captain Marvel, although the character is NOT Captain Marvel, but Ms. Marvel, who, for no reason but a vagina, has been given Silver-Surfer-like power. Some of us remember the REAL Captain Mar-vell, and it might have been nice for him to make an appearance. He was a very special character who died a dignified death. Would have been nice for him to have been remembered in this new medium.

You can pretty much say that I have had enough.

You're watching a shows about zombies, super heroes and people from galaxies far far away...but want to install your ideas about reality. Does not compute.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
*Yawn*

Nice try, but the old “bait and switch” isn’t going to work on all of us. People said the same things when minorities (non-whites) started getting air time, and this tactic didn’t silence or stop them either. The world isn’t all about straight, white men anymore... get over it, and join the party! They’re just movies, so 100% realism is not required.
This is the real problem here. Straight, white men are afraid of losing power in a REAL world populated by strong, competent women and people of color.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is the real problem here. Straight, white men are afraid of losing power in a REAL world populated by strong, competent women and people of color.
Bingo. And boy do they hate when we point that out, even though it’s painstakingly obvious and true... most of the SWM I know (in real life) acknowledge that, for which the rest would probably accuse them of being “feminized” or “virtue signaling.” We just can’t win!

Old 01-15-2019, 07:43 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
I always like seeing the bad guy, or gal, get the whipping they deserve. Having said that, it does get unrealistic when most of the women portrayed are obviously not very athletic and yet can hit as hard as a guy. It’s much more entertaining for me if a woman, or smaller guy, dominates in ways that can actually work in the real world, using their lower body, grappling moves, being more clever, etc.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
*Yawn*

You do realize you are being used to feed your own insecurities, right? I have no problem with entertainment doing anything they want to sell stuff, and be popular, but this is an over reaction, and becomes difficult to watch for many. Just my observation.

The nice thing is we can CHOOSE not to watch it, and many are doing that. I cut the cable a long time ago, and do not attend newer movies, so it is hurting them as many people are doing that. It is less a social statement, and more that I just don't find it entertaining, nor relaxing.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:53 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
You do realize you are being used to feed your own insecurities, right? I have no problem with entertainment doing anything they want to sell stuff, and be popular, but this is an over reaction, and becomes difficult to watch for many. Just my observation.

The nice thing is we can CHOOSE not to watch it, and many are doing that. I cut the cable a long time ago, and do not attend newer movies, so it is hurting them as many people are doing that. It is less a social statement, and more that I just don't find it entertaining, nor relaxing.
How is it different than showing smaller, non-athletic men as capable of beating a big bully (or a PI driving a hot car and living in a mansion in Hawaii and successfully catching the bad guy every single time)?Is that pandering to men's insecurities? Or just supporting a fantasy because you know.....entertainment and all.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:11 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How is it different than showing smaller, non-athletic men as capable of beating a big bully (or a PI driving a hot car and living in a mansion in Hawaii and successfully catching the bad guy every single time)?Is that pandering to men's insecurities? Or just supporting a fantasy because you know.....entertainment and all.
I think it is a societal trend to virtue signal to women over men. I don't see a trend in Media to virtue signal to small, weak men. Again, I have a choice to not watch, and I don't, but it is pervasive today, but I don't want to get political in the movie forum so I appreciate your perspective, but just disagree.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:18 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
I think it is a societal trend to virtue signal to women over men. I don't see a trend in Media to virtue signal to small, weak men. Again, I have a choice to not watch, and I don't, but it is pervasive today, but I don't want to get political in the movie forum so I appreciate your perspective, but just disagree.

But you believe that Magnum PI is an example of that? That the original was realistic but the remake, including a strong woman character is just "virtue signaling"? I don't get how a person can look at one, accept it is a complete fantasy, and then see the other and complain about how it's not a realistic portrayal of women. It's not a realistic portrayal of anyone. The only problem is that some folks are so sensitive they can only accept the fantasy if it's THEIR fantasy. Everyone else's must be political maneuvering.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-15-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies