Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 PM

419 posts, read 466,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obama ran the Justice department. Obama and Hillary were running arms out of Benghazi to the terrorists.
Oh yeah, well I'll take gun running over being Putin's puppet committing treason, caging children and denying over 800,000 employees of their paychecks. Seriously?? I apologize, I've been trying to be factual and here you are, way out in the ozone.

So sorry, you clearly need your meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,345,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
No, you're right - whatever Obama did wrong, he got wrong. I would argue that he wasn't helped by having republicans block him at every move (for example, he came up with a great infrastructure bill and they blocked it, saying they didn't want Obama to get credit for anything). However, I was disputing your claim that (what I presumed you meant) that top Democrats have stated that he was a "horrible" president.
We covered that already.

Quote:
I didn't realize, nor did you make clear, that you were merely alluding to some authors who were unhappy with his actions or inactions during his time in office. I also have no idea how you, personally, know that each of those authors are in "the Democratic Party." Honestly, I know Hispanics who are republican, so if one of them didn't like what Obama did in office and wrote about it, that does NOT equal ". . . even some in the Democratic party are now saying it."

You could have simply stated that there were a lot of articles that you found wherein folks had written why they were not happy with the Obama presidency. You would have been factual and spot on.
The elections in 2016 told us (D)'s were not happy. If the DNC makes the same mistake in 2020 (picking a corporate D) the same result will happen.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
The elections in 2016 told us (D)'s were not happy. If the DNC makes the same mistake in 2020 (picking a corporate D) the same result will happen.
Actually, as Hillary Clinton received over 3 million more votes than Trump, you're stating another false narrative. We can go into the whole outdated electoral college issue, but let's not. However, THAT is the reason Trump is president, not that "Democrats were not happy."

Also in play, about 43% of voters didn't bother in 2016, that means folks who could have voted, but chose not to, outnumbered those who cast a vote for Clinton, Trump or a third-party candidate.

You could be right. Democrats might have been "unhappy," you seem to be assigning a lot of emotions to Democrats that, thus far, you've been dead wrong on - but they still voted in larger numbers. Guess that has to mean something.

Then again, with the way the republicans have gerryrigged elections, stolen them (Florida), etc., it's not so much that anyone is unhappy, it's more that republicans have no faith in their voters, ergo they need to rig the votes and elections. The losers are us, all Americans.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,345,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagurl View Post
Actually, as Hillary Clinton received over 3 million more votes than Trump, you're stating another false narrative. We can go into the whole outdated electoral college issue, but let's not. However, THAT is the reason Trump is president, not that "Democrats were not happy."
Take California out of the equation and Trump got more votes also.

Quote:
Also in play, about 43% of voters didn't bother in 2016, that means folks who could have voted, but chose not to, outnumbered those who cast a vote for Clinton, Trump or a third-party candidate.
Indeed. There were many in Michigan and Pennsylvania not interested in another Wall Street Dem and stayed home. Want that to happen again?

Quote:
You could be right. Democrats might have been "unhappy," you seem to be assigning a lot of emotions to Democrats that, thus far, you've been dead wrong on - but they still voted in larger numbers. Guess that has to mean something.

Then again, with the way the republicans have gerryrigged elections, stolen them (Florida), etc., it's not so much that anyone is unhappy, it's more that republicans have no faith in their voters, ergo they need to rig the votes and elections. The losers are us, all Americans.
Gerrymandering has little to do with presidential elections.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Take California out of the equation and Trump got more votes also.

Indeed. There were many in Michigan and Pennsylvania not interested in another Wall Street Dem and stayed home. Want that to happen again?

Gerrymandering has little to do with presidential elections.
First, you can't take California out of the equation and if you truly had a democracy, she would have won, hands down, because she had more votes. But that's water under the bridge.

Secondly, of course not. I never want voters not to vote, but that's on them. What? Are you saying that YOU want this to happen again?

Lastly, OF COURSE gerrymandering has everything to do with presidential elections. I'll give you the Cliff Note version. You have local elections that are gerrymandered to the point that only republicans win. That means all your local politicians are now republicans, for instance the Secretary of State, the Governor, etc., etc. They get to make the rules in the state. If they want to disenfranchise voters, they get to do that. If someone is outright stealing an election, they get to decide whether to prosecute. Those disenfranchised voters or voters who got their votes stolen DO GET TO VOTE FOR PRESIDENTS. How you can possibly state that "gerrymandering has little to do with presidential elections" is beyond me, unless you have such a limited knowledge of how elections work.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:19 PM

13,970 posts, read 8,136,531 times
Doesn't matter if Obama was a crappy president or not.

All that matters is getting the black vote back out again in large numbers. And the only way this will happen is with Kamala Harris at the top of the ticket.

Does anyone seriously think the black vote will turn out in Obama numbers for Elizabeth Warren, "Beto," Joe Biden or any other candidate not black?

Forget it.

So, unless she's got some serious dirt hidden in her closet expect K. Harris to praise the Obama years to the high heavens and win the Dem nomination.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:28 PM
JRR

8,187 posts, read 5,704,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Someone forgot to tell OP that Obama hasn't been President for over two years now. We have our hands full dealing with the walking/golfing/lying disaster infecting the White House right now.
Yeah, I believe that this condition is called ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome). Symptoms are very similar to HDS (Hillary Derangement Syndrome). Medical community is working very hard on a cure, but none in sight, so far.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:32 PM

8,904 posts, read 5,396,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Let me help... since I already know how some, who need to be spoon fed, will respond.

HOPE VS. CHANGE: WHY SOME DEMOCRATS ARE TURNING ON OBAMA’S LEGACY

Opening paragraph...

If no one seems to care that Elizabeth Warren has made her candidacy for president semi-official, let it also be said that no one seems to care that Joe Biden is about to do the same. As the public’s attention starts to focus on the primaries of 2020—God, didn’t we just do this?—many Democrats are acting as if Donald Trump, who’s having a good day when his approval ratings stay in the 40s, would beat most of the field. Maybe that’s because they’re still recovering from the shock of 2016. But maybe it’s more serious than that. If today’s Democrats can’t beat Trump, then maybe Hillary Clinton wasn’t as bad a candidate as her critics claimed. And if Clinton wasn’t the problem, then what was the problem? Such questions are behind a recent spike of debates on the left over Barack Obama’s record. More and more voices seem to be saying, either obliquely or bluntly, that Obama was a bad president.
Well it does say "some Democrats". Besides, we can't seem to get the story straight about Hillary. She was "the most qualified candidate ever", then "she was the most awful candidate ever."

Old 01-17-2019, 09:36 PM

8,904 posts, read 5,396,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
I love that there are still righties out there who think "you didn't build that" was controversial. It says a lot about Obama's class and dignity with which he carried himself that the worst things right wingers can ever come up with that Obama said are "you didn't build that" and "you can keep your plan."

It's pure ****ing comedy.
Yep, it doesn't matter when a president insults business owners and lies about his signature legislation, as long as he does it with class and dignity.

"I'm drawing a line in the sand ......

Old 01-17-2019, 09:37 PM

39,906 posts, read 26,608,779 times
The fundamental difference between Trump and Obama...

Trump sacrificed his wealth for this country

Obama sacrificed this country for his wealth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies