Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 10:25 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times

Advertisements

There is a common theme on this thread by those who are opposed to ownership or carry.

"I don't need one".........."I don't see why anyone else would need one"

"I don't need a gun,I can defend myself with my hands"......"others don't need a gun,they can defend themselves with their hands"

"More people carrying a gun means more people will shoot each other"

see,it's all about "me" and a attitude of thinking of "my" decision in "my" life should pertain to other people also.

And,the thought of that most people aren't capable of being responsible for themself.

What that comes down to with them is not about promoting peace in society but about control of people,that 'I" am so advanced and that people should be like "me" but they can't because most people just aren't as capable as me therefore I must guide them.There's the guts of Liberalism.It's a attitude of pessimism toward fellow mankind's ability to think and act for themself reasonably.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
I want to make a comment about those that think the military or even national guard are the only ones due the right to have a weapon.

The military is a agent of government.While most personel are standup Americans the military doesn't teach recruits political,social law or history of the Consitution to what they are swearing a oath to defend.Many in the military do not give much thought to what the Consitution is,they only know they are to follow orders to defend it.

With America engaged in military actions around the world over the years it could be questionable to how much of it was done Consitutionally,but the military doesn't question why they go or if it's Constitutional that they go,they are ordered to go so they go.

If you were deemed a enemy of America tommorrow,how many officers or soldiers do you think are gonna stop and ask why you have been deemed so?,no they are going to follow orders.Now given time there might be questions but a officer or soldiers place is not to question why you have been declared a threat it's just their job to secure the threat.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
when the good guys have guns, it makes the job of the bad guys much much more difficult.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:04 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Cant do it yourself?
Its not an organized militia. Thats up to the states to organize should they choose. The second provides for that ability. Congress formed the general militia & its guidelines & every able bodied man is in it.

I'll dig it up for you. You'll say its old & outdated but no more so than gun control. Arms control is as old as civilization & its always solt to the sheep as being for their own good. Then after the abuses get too much to bear good men fight & die restoring the rights of free men & soon after new liars start telling new sheep they will be safer if the new liars control their acess to arms & so on & so on & so on & so on.

I'll go find that law for you now.

Here you go,

Heres the link. Of Arms and the Law: militia Archives
Interesting. Thanks. All sort of obscure things lying on the dusty shelves in the law library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
So, how can you be expected to obey the law if called upon to defend the country if you live in a communist municipality that forbids common sense gun ownership? Damned if you do & damned if you dont eh? I dont know your allegiance but my US citizenship & the responsibilities it entails outweigh by a large margin my allegiance to a corrupt municipality.
No a capitalist society here in Washington that has evolved beyond the mind set of the wild west, though as I recall even in Dodge City you had to check your guns with the sheriff when you arrived in town. We don't of course rely on the unorganized militia to defend the country. Even during the American Revolution, most militias were an undisciplined rag tag bunch of unreliable yahoos.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
There is a common theme on this thread by those who are opposed to ownership or carry.

"I don't need one".........."I don't see why anyone else would need one"

"I don't need a gun,I can defend myself with my hands"......"others don't need a gun,they can defend themselves with their hands"

"More people carrying a gun means more people will shoot each other"

see,it's all about "me" and a attitude of thinking of "my" decision in "my" life should pertain to other people also.

And,the thought of that most people aren't capable of being responsible for themself.

What that comes down to with them is not about promoting peace in society but about control of people,that 'I" am so advanced and that people should be like "me" but they can't because most people just aren't as capable as me therefore I must guide them.There's the guts of Liberalism.It's a attitude of pessimism toward fellow mankind's ability to think and act for themself reasonably.
It's elitism at best...liberals are typically the ones who look down upon the masses with disdain; see how they call "right-wingers" rednecks and neanderthals...liberals don't believe that others have reached their enlightened conclusions so they should decide things for you.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
It's elitism at best...liberals are typically the ones who look down upon the masses with disdain; see how they call "right-wingers" rednecks and neanderthals...liberals don't believe that others have reached their enlightened conclusions so they should decide things for you.
No you RW neanderthals (LOL, good phase thanks) can do what you want in your neck of the woods. Local conditions vary and laws need to be flexible enough in most cases to reflect the local conditions. We place reasonable restriction on virtually all personal rights, gun ownership included.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 AM

488 posts, read 1,176,412 times
This thread, like most, is interesting to read. I am amused by some of the arguements. I doubt one side will convince the other side they are correct. I support those who wish not to own a gun to not own a gun. I also support those law abiding citizens who wish to own a gun to own a gun.

I, personally, would rather have a gun in my hand rather than a phone with a 911 speed dial if somebody were breaking into my house. The response time of police departments has much to be desired.

Ya'll have a nice day and keep the dicussion going.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
No you RW neanderthals (LOL, good phase thanks) can do what you want in your neck of the woods. Local conditions vary and laws need to be flexible enough in most cases to reflect the local conditions. We place reasonable restriction on virtually all personal rights, gun ownership included.
Hmmm, in "our" neck of the woods...where can I find a map that indicates such boundaries? Or can I spot the liberal areas by the presence of too many starbucks and wineries?

The issue is when the government unreasonably restricts a right to self-protection...the higher the crime the greater the need for self-protection (such as an area like Washington, DC)...which is the foundation of the Heller case.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Let me turn this around.Let's say a person is a black belt and murders someone with this knowledge.They go to jail but will society blame martial arts as the cause of this murder?no they will blame the person.

Do you think society will call for a ban on martial arts because someone used it wrongly?Do you think that banning it would cause someone to possibly not defend themself?

And what's the difference between someone using martial arts,knife or firearm correctly or not correctly?And why determine what choice they should have to any of them?
Everyone is capable of becoming SKILLED in physical self-defense. Guns take away that necessity for skill. As has been demonstrated, a six year old kid could kill you with a gun...he's not going to kill you with a punch or kick.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagz View Post
Then why with all of the outcry in today's society for equal rights for women do we not see women fighting men in the very lucrative ultimate fighting industry? Could it be that strength is a very important component of self defense? Or do you think we are all just a bunch of sexists.
You're sexist. A woman is absolutely capable of defending herself with her hands. Laila Ali, Cynthia Rothrock, Michelle Rodriguez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies