Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,120,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I must say though that Tasers are becoming popular as an alternative to a firearm

TASER - Consumers Home (http://www.taser.com/Pages/consumer.aspx - broken link)
Sorry, not allowed to have one in New Jersey! I'm at the mercy of criminals here.

23,860 posts, read 24,186,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I think it's pretty silly to think that the average citizen needs a gun for self protection.
I thank goodness that your thoughts don't translate into law. Perhaps someday you'll face a situation that will change your mind. I hope not, but one never knows for sure - that's why I carry concealed.

Quote:
Suicides by firearm : American Association of Suicidology - Dedicated to the Understanding and Prevention of Suicide (http://www.suicidology.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=21 - broken link)

Murders: Table 1 - Crime in the United States 2006 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_01.html - broken link)

Accidents: Accidental Death -- Do You Know the Risks?
As I said in a more recent post, you were citing a national statistic in response to my post about a local statistic. I used the word "county" twice, in two different posts, and you cited national statistics twice, in response to those two posts.

So where are the 30k gun deaths in Clark County?

5,160 posts, read 9,188,994 times
Quote:
I must say though that Tasers are becoming popular as an alternative to a firearm

TASER - Consumers Home (http://www.taser.com/Pages/consumer.aspx - broken link)
I'd rather have a firearm.

You can make sure they remember what happened the day they messed with you. They'll see that gunshot wound.

13,625 posts, read 21,441,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And you should be able to protect yourself WITHOUT a gun...

End of story.
Let me turn this around.Let's say a person is a black belt and murders someone with this knowledge.They go to jail but will society blame martial arts as the cause of this murder?no they will blame the person.

Do you think society will call for a ban on martial arts because someone used it wrongly?Do you think that banning it would cause someone to possibly not defend themself?

And what's the difference between someone using martial arts,knife or firearm correctly or not correctly?And why determine what choice they should have to any of them?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:57 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,120,396 times
Quote:
Yet - many still own handguns in the District.
Wow, like all the criminals! Someone should tell them it's against the law...

Old 04-09-2008, 11:58 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,760,058 times
Quote:
So you generally walk around waving a gun around?
no, 99.5 % of the people i know have no idea I even own a gun, but I know how to get to it fast if someone breaks into my home, I have every right to protect my family, and if stopping someone from harming them includes myself not making it so be it.

the only time i wave a gun around is during hunting season in AR..

Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 AM

23,860 posts, read 24,186,577 times
Quote:
It doesn't take strength to defend yourself. You can break bones without having to apply large amounts of force. Trust me, I've done it.
Here we go again...

Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 AM

13,625 posts, read 21,441,460 times
Quote:
Take it from him. You certainly can do that if you think you're going to be able to draw and fire your OWN weapon before being shot.
well maybe you are a Billy badass that can do that but there are occassions when even you won't dodge a bullet.

You may have a black belt but I have one belt higher than you........a gun belt.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,084,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Let's stop with the 30,000 a year; over half of those are people who wanted to kill THEMSELF; there are only about 12,500 homicides per year from guns. .
What part of "suicides are deaths" is difficult for you to understand? States with tight gun control laws have much lower suicide rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
You choose to ignore all statistics that states and areas with concealed carry have less crime...that in countries without guns for citizens the home burglary rate while the owner is home are about 50% compared to the USA's rate of about 12%. Criminals are less likely to attempt a crime against someone if they feel that person may be armed.
Data please.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM

290 posts, read 524,679 times
Quote:
It doesn't take strength to defend yourself. You can break bones without having to apply large amounts of force. Trust me, I've done it.
Then why with all of the outcry in today's society for equal rights for women do we not see women fighting men in the very lucrative ultimate fighting industry? Could it be that strength is a very important component of self defense? Or do you think we are all just a bunch of sexists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies