Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 05:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Workers would get their paychecks if Trump would open the government. Dems have passed numerous bills to do just that.

Dems and Reps passed a bill they agreed to weeks ago. Trump was on board, then Ann Coulter called and he walked away. This is his to own. Even he says so.
ah yes ..... weeks ago, weeks and weeks ago. You can blame Mitch McConnell for that one.
He didn't think that Trump would deny the CR and allow the Government to shut down right before Christmas - so he pulled a Voice Vote and thought he had Trump over a barrel.

Mitch was wrong and he is well aware of that now. Point is - Nancy has twice in less than a week had her Democrats vote AGAINST a Paycheck for Furloughed Excepted Federal Employees.

AGAINST a paycheck that all the Republicans voted FOR.
Federal Workers and DACA folks are going to work out that they are nothing more than Cannon Fodder in Nancy's War on Trump for her 2020 Election.

The optics of her breaking almost a 100 years of Tradition in her War on Trump and the people who voted for him are not going to work out well for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 05:26 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

The optics of her breaking almost a 100 years of Tradition in her War on Trump and the people who voted for him are not going to work out well for her.
There is zero years tradition of a State of the Union address being delivered during a government shutdown

Old 01-23-2019, 06:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
So Pelosi issued a warning -- government shutdown -- probably no State of the Union.

Trump tried to called what he thought was her bluff --- meh -- going to give it anyways -- thanks for the invite.

Pelosi -- meh -- the invite is for when the government is opened.

So no State of the Union in The House of Representatives.

Who won that one? LOL

He would have been better to either agree to postpone the speech until the matter is resolved. This would make people think he really is interested in resolving it -- not just playing.

OR -- he could have agreed to give the address from the Oval Office.

If he chooses a rally format -- it is clear -- it isn't about getting the message out -- it is all about the show. That will be a sad statement to those not getting paid -- our President is more interested in a show than anything else.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:05 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So Pelosi issued a warning -- government shutdown -- probably no State of the Union.

Trump tried to called what he thought was her bluff --- meh -- going to give it anyways -- thanks for the invite.

Pelosi -- meh -- the invite is for when the government is opened.

So no State of the Union in The House of Representatives.

Who won that one? LOL

This girl:

https://twitter.com/ConnieM73393626/...32626832490496

Old 01-23-2019, 06:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There is zero years tradition of a State of the Union address being delivered during a government shutdown
It's a partial shutdown that between 65-70% of people in all polls say it has no effect on them.
It's a VERY big deal to Leftists and it's a VERY big deal to those inside the Beltway.
It's Armageddon to the Leftist Media -- for Normal People who work for a living ... MEH!

I got mail from the IRS last week - my PIN # to protect by Tax Return from the illegal alien in California that stole our numbers. I also got mail from Social Security this week - my statement of withholding for the Tax Return I must file by April 15th. I PAY taxes and get no refund - I'm very against this idea of bringing back IRS employees so they can send checks to those who get "credits" checks.

Let them wait -- after all, Queen Nancy says nothing should happened until the Shutdown is over.
Works for me.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:10 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
The government is shut down to only essential services.

Trump delivering another of his Nuremberg rally speeches filled with racist dog whistles, lies, and general BS is not an essential service.

It just is not.

It can wait until things are up and running again.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:13 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Anywhere and it will reflect badly for Pelosi... If it is in the House, she loses... if it is anywhere else, Pelosi still loses...
I don't see it that way. I see it as anywhere other than where presidents always gives State of the Union, is not a win for him.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:14 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
He will do something "alternative" .... and then, at some point - he will give a State of the Union address in the US House. Nancy loses, because she can't stop that forever.
But she can stop it as long as Trump refuses to reopen the government. If Trump does get his address, it will only be because Pelosi won.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:14 PM

He can always do a rally and say the same things. His supporters love them rallies.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I can't wait for the SOTU speech. I'm hoping some of those younger Democrats can yell out YouSuck in unison nice and loud! Or "where's my paycheck Donald?"

Or just you lied, like how they did Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies