Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:24 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nonsense.

I respect the rights of ALL 3 branches, House to vote as they wish. Senate to vote as they wish. POTUS to veto or sign as he wishes.

Happy 34th Shutdown Day.
Sure, but if POTUS refuses to fund the government to gain leverage for his agenda, then he is essentially a terrorist who has taken hostages. I don't think this is what the Founding Fathers had in mind, and I hope people take note and vote accordingly in the next election.

Taken to the natural extreme, if Dems cave on this, then POTUS will find it useful to cripple govt function and take millions of American families hostage every time he doesn't get his way through Congress.

How do you negotiate with a terrorist? Give in to them and you get more terrorism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:26 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The data Nielsen provided contradicted data that was presented previously by CBP officials.

Therein lies the rub....
Nope, that's not what she said.

She's just pandering to her constituency and willing to go to any length to do it. Border Patrol supports "the wall" btw. Both it's agents and the it's Union President do.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sorry I can’t read it unless I subscribe
Ok, but you can read it with a free subscription for a week. It'll allow you to see the article in it's entirity.

it's there, in print from a reliable source.

You're welcome, again!

Old 01-23-2019, 10:33 PM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Sure, but if POTUS refuses to fund the government to gain leverage for his agenda, then he is essentially a terrorist who has taken hostages. I don't think this is what the Founding Fathers had in mind, and I hope people take note and vote accordingly in the next election.

Taken to the natural extreme, if Dems cave on this, then POTUS will find it useful to cripple govt function and take millions of American families hostage every time he doesn't get his way through Congress.

How do you negotiate with a terrorist? Give in to them and you get more terrorism.
Do you understand the President doesn't fund the government, don't you? Budgets begin in the House of Representatives, then the Senate, then go to the President who can either sign or veto. Then the Congress can either accept the veto and rewrite the language or override the veto, upon which it becomes law.

So the job of either providing a budget to the President OR overriding a veto is completely on Congress.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
You can't really think this 5.7 billion is all it takes to make this country safe. That's the budget of the LA school district for one year.
And you have the true numbers?

For what it's worth, remember when Trump negotiated with Boeing for Air Force One? They wanted an estimated 5+ billion--Trump said "it doesn't cost that much and if you're saying it does we'll get another company to build it", Boeing backed down, came with new calculations and negotiated the deal for 3.9, saving over 1 billion. it's a micocosm of what I think would happen with a project of this size and cost.

Personally, I'm on Trump's side of this--however I think a reasonable compromise would be to ear mark some funding for places deemed to be "high priority" rather than the entire stretch, and see how it works out, and then proceed with more funding as needed based on the results and studies that can give a fair assessment of how effective it is.

Dems won't do that though, they're deathly afraid of Trump claiming "victory" for getting any funding for it. They just want to tell their base of illegal aliens "we said no no matter what--aren't you proud?"

Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Ok, but you can read it with a free subscription for a week. It'll allow you to see the article in it's entirity.

it's there, in print from a reliable source.

You're welcome, again!
No. It won’t let me because I’ve already used up the freebies from the articles I’ve already read

Old 01-23-2019, 10:41 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Do you understand the President doesn't fund the government, don't you? Budgets begin in the House of Representatives, then the Senate, then go to the President who can either sign or veto. Then the Congress can either accept the veto and rewrite the language or override the veto, upon which it becomes law.

So the job of either providing a budget to the President OR overriding a veto is completely on Congress.
But when one of the Chambers of Congress at least partly backs POTUS strategy of inflicting pain via govt shutdown to build leverage, then you won't have a veto, will you? You get what we have now.

The point is that this should not be happening. Basic, ongoing government functioning should not be stoppable for political gamesmanship. Asking FBI agents and air traffic controllers to work without pay is beyond ridiculous as it is obscene. Would be great to see reforms that prevent this from being an option, starting with no pay and increasing financial penalties on Congress and POTUS when they play these games.

Someone should pass a law.... Oh wait. Nevermind.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No. It won’t let me because I’ve already used up the freebies from the articles I’ve already read
Ok, then you have to purchase a subscription. The source was provided to you.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:45 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Trump is going to build The Wall.
That's what he ran on and that's what he is going to do. I think he will declare a national emergency and get it done.
Polls don't count.

He ran on Mexico paying for it.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:04 PM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Either way the media tells the public to blame the Republicans/Trump and the sheeple follow along with what the Democrats and media tell them.
Your idiot-in-chief said "I am proud to shut down the government for border security...I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down." in front of a rolling camera. You're blaming that on the media?

I'm grudgingly impressed that he knew an idiom like "take the mantle" and used it correctly. I mean - most would have said "take on the mantle", but still.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 01-23-2019 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies