Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Northam Resign?
Yes, he clearly has a problem and has lost credibility 98 71.53%
No, Democrat leaders in VA are right, he has a great current track record that speaks more than his past 39 28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 10:08 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times

Advertisements

If you have a skeleton in the closet, rest assured that somebody, somewhere, has a key.
Especially in politics. They have expert locksmiths. Stupid stupid judgement for this guy to have any involvement in politics ever. He should know better. If anything is out there, sooner or later it will come out.
My advice to future politicians is if you ever did anything stupid in your entire life, ever, then don't get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 10:11 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Another poster said that Democrats would be more forgiving of him than of a Republican out of party loyalty. I refuted that.

If we call for his resignation, it's a "lynch mob." If we are silent, it's a double standard.
I am not a hypocrite, I have consistently defended those who are accused of PC infractions, especially those done decades ago. I will defend this liberal democrat by saying what I have said before. No one should be ruined by youthful foolishness or comments that are many decades old. These infractions pre date by far the era of political correctness. Even if you support the un American principles of PC you should acknowledge that they did not exist in 1984. It is wrong to hold someone accountable for an offense like this that happened long before it was a big deal. We must realize that this was some kind of stupid college joke. I seriously doubt he is a racist, what you see is a college prank or costume party. Just proof of how acceptable it was then is the fact that they put it in the yearbook, no one though twice about it.

This man is about to become a victim of the PC machine, he does not deserve to be ruined by this. Now his political beliefs and his recent statement about abortion are far more serious if you ask me.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:27 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I am not a hypocrite, I have consistently defended those who are accused of PC infractions, especially those done decades ago. I will defend this liberal democrat by saying what I have said before. No one should be ruined by youthful foolishness or comments that are many decades old. These infractions pre date by far the era of political correctness. Even if you support the un American principles of PC you should acknowledge that they did not exist in 1984. It is wrong to hold someone accountable for an offense like this that happened long before it was a big deal. We must realize that this was some kind of stupid college joke. I seriously doubt he is a racist, what you see is a college prank or costume party. Just proof of how acceptable it was then is the fact that they put it in the yearbook, no one though twice about it.

This man is about to become a victim of the PC machine, he does not deserve to be ruined by this. Now his political beliefs and his recent statement about abortion are far more serious if you ask me.
Okay. I'm not sure why you are behaving as if I was speaking of you. I was not. That would be really weird, as this is your first post to this thread.

My point was that Democrats are being just as hard on him as they would be on a Republican.

Also, FWIW, I was in college in 1984, and yes, dressing in KKK robes or wearing blackface would have been a very big deal. No one I knew did such a thing, and our yearbook never would have printed such a picture.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:30 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Another poster said that Democrats would be more forgiving of him than of a Republican out of party loyalty. I refuted that.

If we call for his resignation, it's a "lynch mob." If we are silent, it's a double standard.
I think we can all agree (except for really out there partisans) that both parties are not even handed in these matters unless the offense is "bad enough" that the one party has to agree with the other.

10-20+ years ago, the governor might have survived this as a "youthful indiscretion" or whatnot. I mean holy crap Robert Byrd....ACTUALLY was a real KKK member not a spoof.

I have no answer there, I tend to be forgiving of actions of people taken in their youth that were of poor judgment or immaturity etc. but that's not what we're about these days. I find it sad because I think that sends a powerful message to our country, our youth etc. that you don't forgive and you don't get credit for changing and that message is to never apologize and deny everything. Sound familiar?

Now ironically, we ARE forgiving of people if they're NOT in politics but when it comes to politics mercy is a 4 letter word. I get some of that though, they are supposed to represent their constituency...it's not like you can self boycott like you can a star and not go to their concert or watch their action movie or whatnot.

Oh well, buckle up, we're going to get some absolutely fabulous doxxing and dredged up accusations from highschool on the current crop of candidates eyeing 2020. Pass the popcorn.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 PM

264 posts, read 100,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Still wouldn't work. When I dressed for Halloween, I went as a cat....or a witch....or a clown. I didn't make fun of black people.

As these incidents continue to happen and some are periodically brought to light, it appears that projecting blacks as uneducated, illiterate, overly jovial, inarticulate speech - mispronouncing words, clownish, etc. is institutionalized and endemic in American society at a truly profound level!

The negative images displayed throughout media - newspapers, television, radio, etc. were the order of the day for many many years.

Fast forward to 2019 and the after effects of this insidious racism still exist.

The direct impact of racism for the victims historically as well as currently include additional stress, shorter life spans and negative health consequences.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Okay. I'm not sure why you are behaving as if I was speaking of you. I was not. That would be really weird, as this is your first post to this thread.

My point was that Democrats are being just as hard on him as they would be on a Republican.

Also, FWIW, I was in college in 1984, and yes, dressing in KKK robes or wearing blackface would have been a very big deal. No one I knew did such a thing, and our yearbook never would have printed such a picture.
I am a bit younger than you, in 1984 I was a teenager. I remember plenty of jokes and costumes that would offend the thin skinned today. Maybe you grew up in a urban more liberal area I don’t know. I grew up rural so that may explain our different experiences. Like I said they put it in the yearbook so that says a great deal about its acceptance in that era. It seems to me the political correctness era began in the early 90s. Even then it was mocked and ridiculed as it did not have the teeth it does today. My point is that this is just too long ago to punish this man for this...even if you believe in the ridiculousness of political correctness.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:40 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Disgusting.
Why? Were you there? Were you ever invited to a party in college? I doubt it.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:

He wasn't a kid when this happened, he was 25 years old and in medical school.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
I am a bit younger than you, in 1984 I was a teenager. I remember plenty of jokes and costumes that would offend the thin skinned today. Maybe you grew up in a urban more liberal area I don’t know. I grew up rural so that may explain our different experiences. Like I said they put it in the yearbook so that says a great deal about its acceptance in that era. It seems to me the political correctness era began in the early 90s. Even then it was mocked and ridiculed as it did not have the teeth it does today. My point is that this is just too long ago to punish this man for this...even if you believe in the ridiculousness of political correctness.
Ditto what you said about rural areas. PC'ness is currently mocked and ridiculed, depending on the event and situation.

Just two years ago, a guy came to my small town private social club's Halloween party dressed as a black faced lawn jockey, complete with lantern. The whole place erupted in wild applause and laughter, and he won first prize. A lot of the costumes probably could have been considered blatantly "un-PC" (men in drag, a Confederate soldier). My take is they are thumbing their noses at PC'ness at a venue they know they can get away with it.

Then at another party I attended, there was a lady who came as Michelle Obama, wearing a Michelle Obama mask. She won scariest and ugliest.

Both of them had better rule out running for public office.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 02-01-2019 at 11:04 PM..

Old 02-01-2019, 11:21 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
I was a teenager in South Carolina in 1984 and cannot recall anyone ever dressing in blackface at any party I went to.

Thread fail to anyone comparing this to a movie, Especially a Wayans movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies