Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Northam Resign?
Yes, he clearly has a problem and has lost credibility 98 71.53%
No, Democrat leaders in VA are right, he has a great current track record that speaks more than his past 39 28.47%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 09:59 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
If he resigned it would set an example. He was not a kid. It was not 1950.

well, there is a little bit of white privilege, and male privilege. Sexism is still a little bit of a problem. None of it is as bad as it used to be but we, as a country, can do better. I'm centrist Democrat and this stupid Virginia governor has got to go.
What does a silly dressup 35 years ago have to do with any of his policies or how he has treated people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 10:10 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What does a silly dressup 35 years ago have to do with any of his policies or how he has treated people?
Blackface as "silly dressup"? You make it sound like he dressed up for Halloween as a plain white T.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Ask Blase Ford.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:18 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times
I was in H.S. in '84.

No one would have ever dreamed of that crap. That is just off the charts.

Resign already.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:43 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
This is all being well overplayed. Sure, it is not a good look for him. But the level of outrage over this is excessive to say the least.

The problem here is that his candidacy was not vetted adequately during the primaries or the general election contest for governor. If everyone involved will start doing a better job at that, then if you find yourself presented with a candidate that is regarded by many as distasteful in some way, at least the voters will be given the chance to weigh in and register their preferences at the ballot box. This is when you determine that this sort of behavior is disqualifying, not after he has already spent a year in office.

The much more egregious political blunder by Governor Northam this week was his apparent endorsement of infanticide.

Now if he decides of his own free will that he wants to step down for some reason, fine. But these hysterical lynch mob style purge campaigns have got to stop. The conduct of these campaigns is in almost every case worse than whatever it is that they are purporting to eviscerate and destroy.
I'm all for it... It's not going to stop until democrats are victims as well and it starts to hurt them politically...

Old 02-03-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Many mainstream churches held minstrel shows with performers in blackface. Not once did anyone associate that performance with hate, fear and bigotry.

Never in a million years did anyone think it was degrading to blacks.

So now activists teach people to be offended by every imaginable way they can.

Dare any white person attempt to pretend to be a black performer, they now must 'die'.

Yet dem sen byrd, a member of the KKK became an esteemed member of the democrats.

What we have here is politicized weaponry, filled with lethal shot, giving a death sentence for being alive in cultural transition. Ignore the greater segment of the person's conduct and destroy them for one incident deemed racist by applying today's template against yesterday's behavior. No mercy! forgive felons who committed murder, demand for them voting rights. Destroy anyone who appears in a high school or college year book that by today's standards is unacceptable. Ignore their decades of behavior with no racist evidence.

The internet and instant communication is responsible for the instant daily regulations activists send out to alert to new offenses. Many people alive today have never been without instant communication. Many can't even recognize a hardwired telephone.

Do not forget it wasn't until the late 1990s that instant communication began to spread.

This guv fumbled the accusations but has anyone found any racist or bigoted behavior in his life since college?????

Today, cable, sports, news, weather is all about predictions. As if everyone wants to be the Delphic oracle or a miss cleo with a 900 number. So any single word or act is now used to make an assumption that something deeper and hate filled lurks in the heart of the accused. Likewise if a person were to use a medical term, like oophorectomy, by today's standards, would be thought to be a doctor. Makes no sense, destructive and divisive. Even hate and fear mongering democrats need to be defended in these cases.

Eric holder said we are a nation of cowards for not holding a discourse in race relations. Holder should have mentioned he was baiting people to be charged as racists for being honest and speaking their mind. the more the discussion is suppressed the deeper the divide. The activists, media and idiot legislators conspire intentionally and stupidly to create enemies where there are none.
I know of no mainstream churches that perform in blackface, and if they did, Im I'm sure some blacks would be offended regaudless of how you are the people around you personally feel.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I still could not care less, and I doubt if anyone on this thread really does either. Outrage du jour.
You obviously do being that you were triggered enough to respond to say nothing more than you dont care...

Old 02-03-2019, 10:50 PM

4,583 posts, read 3,410,316 times
What happens if the Lt Gov would also happen to resign soon over another scandal.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:55 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
In case you missed it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.4f09108cca38

Quote:
The reporter who exposed the racist photo on Gov. Ralph Northam’s yearbook page said a “concerned citizen” led him to the story that has prompted widespread outrage and calls for the Democrat’s resignation.

Patrick Howley, editor in chief of the website Big League Politics, first reported Friday the existence of a photo on Northam’s page of his medical school yearbook depicting a figure in blackface standing next to another person in a Ku Klux Klan hood.

“It’s very easy to explain,” Howley, 29, said in an interview Saturday. “A concerned citizen, not a political opponent, came to us and pointed this out. I was very offended [by the photo] because I don’t like racism.”

The tip came after Northam’s comments on Wednesday about late-term abortions, he said. Howley declined to give any further information about his source, citing a confidentiality agreement. But he said it took him just a few hours to confirm that the photo was authentic.

The source of the tip appears to have been a medical school classmate or classmates of Northam who acted as a direct result of the abortion controversy that erupted earlier in the week, according to two people at Big League Politics, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
Yep. It wasn't really about his blackface or KKK outfit, it was because he got caught talking about what the left wants to do, and it really pi$$ed someone off who knew him. (At least that's the story they're telling...I don't know if I really buy the "concerned citizen" angle, but whatever. I knew it wasn't because he was in black face at one point, it was because of his comments about killing born children.)

(By the way, I left in the part about Big League Politics being quoted by the WaPo since so many on the left like to pretend it's not "real news".)

Old 02-03-2019, 11:06 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
What happens if the Lt Gov would also happen to resign soon over another scandal.
I think Nancy Pelosi then becomes governor.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies