Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 05:31 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
You would never see them bend over backwards for blacks, Mexican Americans or gays. When they get up on their soapboxes, they look hypocritical when you consider how they’ve put Trump on a pedestal.
I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

Old 02-14-2019, 05:37 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The bold is not what I said but what was written in post #191. I am glad that you disagree. Post #191 was at best a troll post. My only response was to reframe the thread topic and write:

So the question is not Why Do Republicans stand up so hard for Jewish Americans? but instead Why the Left purportedly does not?

The question was rhetorical. It had already been answered, at least by that poster.

If you're on the left, anti-semitism is not what is said but what is left unsaid.

With the judgment applied to a free-flowing discussion like this thread.

With the left pretty much labelled as anti-semitic haters.

Or perhaps I misunderstood.

In that case, my apologies to that poster.
Ah, I see. You were paraphrasing another poster. (Gets confusing sometimes here in Internet Land.) Thanks for clearing it up.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:40 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
The problem with that is that you are quoting the Bible, and most people don't take it literally. So telling anti-Semites not to curse the nation of Israel because that's what G-d instructed will sway no-one.

Same thing with the argument that G-d gave the land to Jews. Unless you are an Evangelical Christian (which it sounds as if you might be), that argument will hold no water.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:14 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Certainly (the first bold) has been my experience. Here, I can only point to social interactions with those who are culturally Jewish or members of reform synagogues. One friend was a Conservative rabbi. There is vocal support for Israel.

Among non-Jewish friends the subject simply does not come up. There's so much going on the world these days that Israel and the Palestinian situation is pretty much taken as a given. Some might have a negative take on that last sentence, others no doubt not.

That said, another poster mentioned encountering anti-Israeli sentiment or anti-Semitism on sites more mainstream than Daily Stormer. Not frequenting ME discussion sites, I can only defer to her assessment.
Why the "subject simply does not come up" among your non-Jewish friends might also be because it's something of a "third-rail" topic rife with risk of being wrongly accused of anti-Semitism, along with and/or also because most people know as much about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict as they do about the Ming Dynasty. That or because people like to avoid talking politics just like they avoid talking religion, and this topic is loaded on both counts.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
The amendment added through the motion to recommit says “it is in the national security interest of the United States to combat anti-Semitism around the world because,” and then lists a few reasons. One of the reasons is “there has been a significant amount of anti-Semitic and anti-Israel hatred that must be most strongly condemned.”

Anti-Semitism is a national security interest, one that the House of Representatives need address?
Good question, though the answer is obvious (except here in the United States and Israel it seems)...

If a tenth of the attention where given to what happened to the American Indian, we'd never stop hearing about that history too, but American Indians don't have that sort of influence in America today, starting with Hollywood for example, never mind politics.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:25 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Why? because democrats refuse to stand up for Israel, they even have gone so far as to place an anti-Semitic congresswoman to a security committee and hob nob with Farrakhan another anti-semite

Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I'm the other poster to which EveryLady referred, and yes indeed....I have encountered the most blistering anti-Israeli sentiment (as well as anti-Semitism) on mainstream discussion sites. (I don't go to what I am assuming is a bigoted site like Storm Front. Never would have heard of it except that it's referred to negatively in "normal" forums.)
I've experienced some similarly disappointing "sentiment" from the other side too, a uniquely separatist perspective, again for the same old reasons that tend to separate people in general, into their various camps of religion or color or ethnic background. Them vs us. Some more contentious than others. Debate that hardly gets more contentious than this one...

Old 02-15-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Apparently they agreed.

I mean, Dems would never agree to something they don't believe in would they? Nawwwwww.

I'm very much aware of how hateful Omar is. She's from Somalia. A refugee. And this is what she does the first time she gets any type of "power". Maybe we should be rethinking our "refugee" acceptance. What she said to Trump today would never have been accepted in Somalia had she said that to the President of that country. Miss "I love Sharia law" seems to be able to say that in a country where she's not going to be subject to such things.

As for the Dems, I agree that their "outrage" at what she said is all lies. But, the beauty of that Motion to Recommit was that the Dems lost face either way. They don't sign it - whew boy, there goes all of the Jews who vote for Dems. They do sign it, it shows everyone else that they will sign things they don't agree with - even if it's against what the voters and their constituents want. Makes you wonder what else they've passed that they don't agree with and are going against what those who voted for them want. They "bent over backwards" for this - but the OP wanted to say it was 'only Republicans'. Oh no, that game gets played by both sides.
This significant point you make, I've put in bold. Again politics, and it's about a lot more than just the loss of votes BTW. There are only about 4 million adherents of Judaism in the United States after all, total! Even if you include those who don't vote, there are not enough lost votes for either party to worry about. Talk about the significant influence of small special interest parties in our political system. Not too many compare to the clout of AIPAC despite the insignificant vote count. Doesn't matter which R or D you ask...

Old 02-15-2019, 11:41 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Why the "subject simply does not come up" among your non-Jewish friends might also be because it's something of a "third-rail" topic rife with risk of being wrongly accused of anti-Semitism, along with and/or also because most people know as much about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict as they do about the Ming Dynasty. That or because people like to avoid talking politics just like they avoid talking religion, and this topic is loaded on both counts.
My guess is that Palestinians do not come up in conversation because the current refugee-related topics are more likely to be about Syrian refugees or Central American asylum seekers. But if the Palestinian situation did arise the Jewish movements from Arab countries that took place throughout the late 1940s and 50s into the 60s may well not be mentioned. Most non-Jews just aren't that knowledgable and with those refugees now settled into the Israel, that would be "lost to time." This conversational omission would have little to nothing to do with anti-semitism.

This then goes to your other point about being accused of anti-semitism. That risk appears to be increasing as the definition morphs from the emphasis on Jews as individuals or as a ethnic group to the country of Israel and now, apparently, to the national security of the United States.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, given that you are swift to condemn anti-Semitism in any public figure, it's fair to say that you may be a bit disappointed with Trump if you support him...or is there a double standard operating here?

A number of instances documenting words and actions from DJT - that you are likely to denounce if it came from other public figures:

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/1400...-semitic-dance

Trump

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...134121614.html

https://www.ajc.com/news/trump-vigor...TEWhQVfWOyjGP/
Thank you. They say "balance is key."

Everybody loves to pick out the easiest targets to make their arguments rather than consider the more reasonable and objective facts of these matters, regardless the showmen sheet-stirrers like Trump, Anne Coulter, Omar and the rest from all ends of extremism. Maybe instead we should bring Bernie Sanders back into this discussion for example...

Bernie Sanders has described the entrenched conflict between Israel and the Palestinians as both depressing and difficult, and considers the conflict one of the most important issues in the Middle East. He acknowledges that there is no magic solution to the problem, but Bernie believes in a two-state solution, where “Israel has a right to exist in security, and at the same time the Palestinians have a state of their own.” Finally, Bernie sees many other conflicts in the Middle East as exacerbating the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Bernie Sanders on Israel and the Palestinians
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies