Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 07:07 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That made me giggle. The sentiment was not really directed at you, but it still made me giggle.
Yes, I know it was directed at someone else, but I couldn't resist. Sometimes (see....no absolutes) a little levity in a serious discussion is just what the doctor ordered!

Old 02-13-2019, 07:09 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Tone is extremely important. By coincidence, I made that exact same observation to AnesthesiaMD when he asked about whether a statement might be objectionable.

Until these threads, I'm embarrassed to admit that I did not know what the BDS was movement was. My understanding is that it is opposed to a Jewish state and so yes I can envision the scenario you describe.

I don't follow forums much, except for C-D! so I can only defer to your experience. No doubt I'm naive to expect antisemitism to exist only on Daily Stormer.

Also, I cannot begin to appreciate what it must be like to read words directed against your ethnicity, religion - particularly with the experience of the Holocaust so recent in time not to mention the Pittsburgh shootings. There's a trauma to that which is not easily dismissed - nor should it be.

But for someone who loves discussion, I'm starting to get a little spooked by what appears to now to be acceptable to say and what not.

My problem with the bold is that I'm probably in between. I feed off complexity, and how to resolve various "moral" positions (or not) with a tolerance for ambiguity. Here, it's quite possible to support the Israeli state but still to recognize that there are injustices ... but then to end with that's how the world and history rolls. Perhaps because I'm not Jewish is easier for me to deal with the cognitive dissonance.

My daughter needs help with homework so this conversation must end for now ...
Ah, OK.....enjoyed the chat. Have a nice evening.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:09 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Because they are anti-Semite. Am I doing it right libs?
Lib here. You definitely did the joke right at least, cuz I laughed.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:10 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Africa's a big continent. Even West Africa is vast, and I doubt there is/was a single indigenous religious tradition, so that sounds like quite an assumption.
The slaves taken to America come from a very specific area from Africa. Basically from Ghana to Nigeria, and all along there, the original faith practiced was Voodoo/Vodun.

Voodoo as the term is known is even practiced in the Caribbean and parts of Louisiana due to this slave trade.

Regardless, all other African faiths are basically similar in structure (polytheistic, animistic) just with different names. Rituals are similar enough. But he'd not go wrong going back to Benin and learning this religion.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:38 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I pity your (imaginary) black friends. Lol
You and I have gone round and round before, so unless my "imaginary" black friends have been with me for a very long posting history, you can assume I am not telling the truth all you want.
Chances are the ones I'd introduce you to would not be black or militant enough for you to consider them actually black.
So while they are certainly more black than Obama was, they are not walking around blaming whitey for their troubles, or living with a perpetual chip on their shoulder.

So maybe our definition of black folks are much different, as I we would not be friends if they were with NoI, BLM, or BHI racist nutjobs.
The same is true of whites who are members of the KKK, ANP or GAB. Life is too short to waste on harden racist fools whose future is bleak, and are ruled by hate rather than decency.

`

Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah. It’s cool. Like I said, most Jews I know are only observant for ritual purposes and I envy that greatly. They’re almost all atheists like me.

I yearn for that cultural connection to my ancestors, and I’m resentful for not having it. My name, my language...it all comes from Europeans. Not the worst thing in the world but I feel no connection to it.
No connection to what you were born and bred into by your American ancestors, vs. yearning for a completely different culture you have no connection to?
Heck in this day and age of fast and cheap worldwide travel, why have you not headed for the continent you believe your distant ancestors came from, to see what you life could have been

Simple question that I doubt will get a straight answer (knowing your posting history).

If given a choice of your ancestors having never left Africa, or them being brought to this former European colony as slaves, which would you choose?

`

Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
No connection to what you were born and bred into by your American ancestors, vs. yearning for a completely different culture you have no connection to?
Heck in this day and age of fast and cheap worldwide travel, why have you not headed for the continent you believe your distant ancestors came from, to see what you life could have been

Simple question that I doubt will get a straight answer (knowing your posting history).

If given a choice of your ancestors having never left Africa, or them being brought to this former European colony as slaves, which would you choose?

`
LOL I know you really hate America, desertdetroier - in another thread you said the Iranians would have been justified in murdering the CIVILIAN hostages in our embassy so you support radical Islam as well. I'm sure you also dislike Israel and are anti-Semitic.

Though this thread is about Jews not blacks......I'll entertain your question. Obviously I'm not black but if I had to choose.....I would choose the latter because if the former was the case......I would be living in Africa!!!!!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Though this thread is about Jews not blacks......I'll entertain your question. Obviously I'm not black but if I had to choose.....I would choose the latter because if the former was the case......I would be living in Africa!!!!!
I'd love to live in Africa -- with the money I've made in the US. Africa is amazing, but I wouldn't want to be poor there.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,675 times
First, about the thread title. I see at least two parts of this one: the "Lessons of History" part and the Religious (particularly Protestant Fundamentalist one). Mainstream Republicans, aside from religion, see Israel as a close ally in the Middle East. Plus, they see that Israel has a right to exist as a nation, possibly remembering the US's origins. As for practical foreign policy, they don't want to see a humongous refugee crisis and genocide against Jews once again. Whether that's true or not is beside the point. Regardless of whatever final settlement that comes about, it should affirm that Israel has a right to exist in at least its 1967 borders.

Then, there's the protestant evangelical-fundamentalist part of it. They see Israel's reestablishment as New Testament prophesy. Plus everything else in the Book of Revelation. Even outside the book, there's the "Jews are God's chosen people" part.

Now to another thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It's not only a matter of semantics. It's a matter of the tone that is used with the words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Tone is extremely important. By coincidence, I made that exact same observation to AnesthesiaMD when he asked about whether a statement might be objectionable.
Very much so. Tone is at least as important as the actual substance of your message, and I'd argue even more so. Tone has a message all its own - an unspoken but obviously present level of meaning the explicit words don't convey. It's the difference between people at your office telling you "Hey, this is a pretty nice house you have!" and a Mafia enforcer saying saying the exact same thing.

The latter, obviously, is a threat ("Pay up PDQ or we'll burn it down"). The former, depending on the tone it could be taken at face value or in a condescending manner, or even outright sarcastic.

Tone says a lot about how much the person values your essential personhood (the value of your feelings, your thoughts, and how much appreciation as a person you deserve). Furthermore, tone also implicitly invites other people to think the same way you do - for better or worse. Do you deserve or not deserve to be part of their inner social circle - the informal information channels ("grapevines"), helping hands, and personal support you need to make less difficult the everyday burdens of living. Thus, tone can have a subtle but very real effect on your long-run quality of life. Nobody wants to have a severely reduced quality of life, so we should all be very careful about how and when we should use tones.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:17 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
In regards to the poster saying ordinary Jews won't just go along with the Jewish power brokers....those are two separate things, of course the Jewish voting bloc is separate and can come to its own conclusions though no doubt this voting bloc will support Israel. the Jewish voting bloc itself isn't actually that major though given their small numbers and their concentration in states that are already Democrat.

What I mean is that the influential power brokers in Washington and the media are mostly Jewish and will step in when Israel's interests are threatened or when Israel is being attacked. These power brokers determine what agenda gets pushed in Washington and which politicians succeed. For example I'm sure the Jewish power brokers within the Democrat Party quickly put pressure on Ilhan Omar to retract her statements. She is now learning that despite her Islamic passion, she can't insult the biggest Jewish activist organization in the nation.

If she doesn't distnace herself from Louis Farrakhan, the Jewish power brokers in the media may also step in and she will no longer find herself the darling of the national media. AOC, Pocahontas, and Beto more intelligent in that they're probably anti-Israel too but not too vocal about it. Many of CNN's most prominent people like Wolf Blitzer and Dana Bash are Jewish and will use their power in their coverage to cast a negative light on those who are against Israel.

however it seems supporting Israel, like Trump is doing, may not be enough. This may change once the left becomes more radical and pro-Palestinian though. Because supporting illegal Mexicans and Black Lies and Obozocare and supporting Israel, they will choose their own people no doubt about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies