Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2019, 01:07 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,123,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
OK, big deal - so you found a professor who didn't like Lincoln. Am I supposed to start posting all the opinions from historians ranking Lincoln as one of the top three, if not THE top, president of all time? Good way to derail the thread. Would you rather deflect than discuss why a Democrat opened a thread to complain about people sticking up for the Jews?
I'm not derailing the thread. You stated that Lincoln was the best President ever, and I absolutely proved he was one of the worst. Besides, Lincoln is the father of the Republican Party, and his big-government tyranny still influences the GOP to this day.

You deflected by implying that I am only opposed to Israel receiving stolen American income, when in reality no foreign country should get one cent.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:40 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,602,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Which goals? Be specific.

Name one. Actually you can't, because it's a lie. https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...-bernie-sande/

That is in itself a popular antisemitic trope. While Arabs are indeed Semitic, the word antisemitic refers specifically to Jews. Jews didn't make up the term. "It was invented and popularized by anti-Jewish German writers and intellectuals in the closing decades of the 19th century." https://www.adl.org/resources/fact-s...e-anti-semitic

No you don't. You've done nothing but repeat old antisemitic canards. You're not fooling anyone.
the earth goes around the sun...is that anti-semantic trope?...

Zionist terrorism established the modern State of Israel..why is it hard for you to separate Zionism for Judaism which is a wonderful religion?

the "goal" was the establishment of Israel the Zionist HAD to work with Nazis..they were the party in charge of Germany from 1932 till 45

many NEOCONS hold dual citizenship , they hold high positions

Last edited by elvis44102; 02-12-2019 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 01:56 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
the earth goes around the sun...is that anti-semantic trope?...

Zionist terrorism established the modern State of Israel..why is it hard for you to separate Zionism for Judaism which is a wonderful religion?

the "goal" was the establishment of Israel the Zionist HAD to work with Nazis..they were the party in charge of Germany from 1932 till 45
More B.S. instead of answering my questions. All you have is empty memes you cannot defend.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
More B.S. instead of answering my questions. All you have is empty memes you cannot defend.
think whatever you like..but i don't even have a clear idea of what you are asking and calling BS is not much of a reply...

the plain fact is "Jewish People" are not monolithic as I see it there is little differences between the nationalist Likud party and the very Nazis that we say we all abhor..i AM against nationalism in any way shape or form anywhere (people die)

i say the US does have an interest in maintaining Israel as a state...but if i am told i cant say or think a certain way because its against the party line of the nationalist Israel official policy i beg to differ

Old 02-12-2019, 02:29 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
The OP asked a simple question. It wasn't about Jews. It was a political question of why the GOP has beat their cheat on support of the more militant side of Israel (the current projection of the state).

Some folks here are Hammers that see everything as a nail....always the same answer to any and every question.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:30 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They fought a war to free the blacks from southern Democrats, what are you talking about?
This. Not one single Republican owned slaves when that war started.

Also, OP, what is "bending over backwards"? Are you talking about politicians or the people in general? If politicians, I suggest you examine closer because the Dem politicians do, as well. If you mean the people in general, what, exactly, are they doing that you consider "bending over backwards"?

Old 02-12-2019, 02:34 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Because they are viciously attacked and stereotyped.
Great, then I fully expect to see the left stand up for Christians because the same is done to them.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,938,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, duh, it's obvious - most Jewish Americans aren't single issue voters. A majority even took exception to Trump's decision to move the US embassy to Jerusalem.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/.pre...inds-1.6569599

The reason American Jews are liberal is because they tend to sympathize with the less fortunate and with minorities: like many black and Hispanic Americans, 54% of Jews believe government should be bigger, with more services, compared to just 40% of the public at large who believe the same. And 82% of Jews think that homosexuality should be accepted by society, while just 57% of the general public believes so.

Tellingly, Jews sound a lot more like a minority when it comes to discrimination than one might expect from a group of people who are mostly white. Despite problems between Israel and its Arab (and Persian) neighbors, 72% of Jews say Muslims in America are discriminated against, versus just 47% of the public at large who say that. While 64% of Jews say there is discrimination against African Americans, only 47% of all Americans do. This gap extends to attitudes towards Latino Americans, as well.

The roots of these liberal values probably lie in Jews' own understanding of what they went through in their history, with 73% of Jews holding the belieef that remembering the Holocaust is an essential part of being Jewish. Indeed, Jews say it is the most essential part of what it means to be Jewish. Third on the list, though, at 56%, is working for justice and equality.

It's unlikely that outreach by religious Christians, who tend to be very conservative, on the issue of Israel is going to break this pattern. Jews simply don't feel any real affinity towards Evangelical Christians. Jews, for instance, don't buy into the idea that there is a (secularist) war against Christianity, as Rand Paul has argued. Only 16% of Jews agree there is discrimination against Evangelical Christians in the United States (a much larger 30% of all Americans think there is).

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ote-democratic

Very thorough and thought out post. Kudos. you might be attacked though for it. I know this will sound silly but i have a number of jewish friends and you are right, not single issue voters. But the religious tradition of Judaism, well before Christianity, is all about love the neighbor and care for sick and elderly etc. Jesus was taught in that tradition and didn't just poof come up with that as something new.

Jews are liberal because of constant attack and reprisal in Europe and elsewhere. They identify with the underdog. And the Hebrew Bible traditions.

I would says Jews I know in the Philly area have no affinity that I have ever seen with crack pot crazy Christians. They seem far more comfortable around Catholics and mainline Protestants. Quite a lot of intermarriage with those groups as well. I can't see a Jewish person marrying an Evangelical. I just cannot.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:44 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I agree that there is a difference between hating Israel and being critical of some of its actions. But in in most cases, widespread condemnation for Israel (as opposed to criticism of specific policies) and the refusal to recognize the positives of Israel are being driven by Jew-hatred - and the overlap cannot be denied. I would love it if you could reflect on the following questions and share your thoughts:

1) Why did a thread ostensibly begun to criticize Republicans' support for Jews (as if that's a bad thing) quickly devolve into such nasty, hateful talk about Israel? We even have a poster who said he'd like to see Iran get nukes, knowing that they have threatened "Death to Israel! Death to the Jews" repeatedly for years. (Might have been one of the parallel threads....the Jew hatred is hard to keep up with.)

2) Why do we have so many concurrent threads condemning Israel? I've been on this site for months, and I don't recall any threads started to condemn the murderous regime taking place in Syria, or the human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia.

3) On a more global scale, same question: Why has the U.N. delivered more resolutions against Israel than against Syria, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia COMBINED? What about Israel is driving the venom above all other countries?

4) Finally, why do threads condemning Israel (as opposed to this one, which is criticizing support for Jews!?) draw out the anti-Semites? Take a look at some of the discussions on this forum, and it could make your stomach turn.
I think I can answer questions 1, 2, and 4 pretty easily: This is C-D's P&OC forum, and almost any thread brings hateful people out of the woodwork. I'm not sure why there are so many threads like this at this precise moment, except that threads tend to inspire other similar threads on related topics. In a month or two, there might not be any that are currently active. Not excusing it, just pointing out the rather cyclic nature of discussions on here. FWIW, I've wondered for years why the US government is so willing to hop in bed with the Saudis. Oh, wait...oil. That's it.

I do think that sympathy for Palestinians is higher than it once was, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, provided that it doesn't turn into blind hatred for Israel, or for Jewish people in general. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people see that whole situation as a zero-sum game, in which one side must crush the other. I find that tragic.

Lastly, it seems to me that there is growing resentment of foreign aid of any kind, particularly military, being extended to any country. That may play a role, too, as may a certain weariness of involvement in middle eastern conflicts in general. Actually, that is something I can kind of understand. The US has been involved over there for decades, and it doesn't seem to me that the region is any more stable as a result. However, I repeat, I think the main reason is not Israel, but oil. It's always about the money. Always.

I can't address number three, as I honestly don't know enough about the resolutions delivered by the U.N.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The OP asked a simple question. It wasn't about Jews. It was a political question of why the GOP has beat their cheat on support of the more militant side of Israel (the current projection of the state).

Some folks here are Hammers that see everything as a nail....always the same answer to any and every question.
Why do Republicans stand up so hard for Jewish Americans?

is the question? they have a die-hard group of followers that somehow think Israel fulfills some book of prophesy for one...there is a tremendous amount of money in defense contracts for two

harry truman was the FIRST to recognize Israel was he a closet republican?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies