Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 06:00 PM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
You cannot mean that being aware of or expressing concern about Palestinians in refugee camps makes someone antisemitic? There has to be a major disconnect here. I am genuinely confused. Does acknowledging the state of Israel make someone an anti-Muslim sort of racist?
If you read the rest of the conversation, you would not be confused anymore.

Many, but not everyone, on the left that supports the Palestinians is anti Semitic. But (almost) everyone on the left that is anti Semitic pretends it is about the Palestinians.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Repubs stand up for all, w/o special treatment for any-which is discrimination against those not bestowed special treatment.
But what about homosexuals who are bestowed special discrimination because of who they are?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:11 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Did you read the threads in their entirety, or just the one post in each thread that said something about the Palestinians?

And even in those posts, they are not pretending to LIKE the Palestinians the way the leftist antisemites do.

I was surprised, Isreal even got some complements on their wall building skills and their ability to keep illegals out of the country. One guy said that Trump should hire the IDF to do our wall. LOL. Mildly clever...

...for an inbred moron.
Absolutely I read the followups. Forced to choose sides, they choose the Pals every time.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
If you read the rest of the conversation, you would not be confused anymore.

Many, but not everyone, on the left that supports the Palestinians is anti Semitic. But (almost) everyone on the left that is anti Semitic pretends it is about the Palestinians.
I've been following most of the thread. But what you said was not about "supporting" the Palestinians but to "caring about the plight of a bunch of muslims." Even what "support" the Palestinians might entail is subject to context. Support, how? What line might be drawn for that becomes unacceptable?

The larger point is that none of us are at times clear when we're speaking. So this isn't to single out some imprecise phrasing.

Still, antisemitism by definition (quick google) is: hostility to or prejudice against Jews.

When did humanism, a belief that human needs and values are more important than religious beliefs - be they Jewish or Muslim - somehow become "racist."

You've introduced the idea that there might be "pretense" involved. So the racist definition is now to include an assessment of the individual's authenticity?

That could to downhill real fast. Call someone a "racist" and a "liar" simultaneously.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You lost me with "the Jews all agree." No group of people is some sort of monolith, including "the Jews."
I think what he means is that David Duke and Richard Spencer are so blatant about their antisemitism that Jews, for the most part, aren't worried about them. I for one have never discussed them with any of my Jewish friends. They're irrelevant.

But the antisemitism on the left is more concerning to me because it is more insidious. It's what I call "soft antisemitism," which in most cases presents as a tolerance of Jew-hatred or a minimization of its impact when it occurs on the left. How many times have liberals here insisted that Farrakhan, while not good, is a non-issue? What about a Christian progressive who said to me, when I expressed dismay over the blatant anti-Semitism among the leaders of the Women's March, that representing women's rights overrides the negative issues of anti-Semitism? (Her exact words were "let's try to overlook the Jewish stuff.")

And it also shows up when liberals comolain about Israel and start substituting the word "Jew" for Israeli. It happens ALL THE TIME. These two anti-Semitic Congresswoman (yes, they are....Tlaib actually published a piece in Farrakhans's newsletter some years ago, and we all know what was influencing Omar's comments) are dangerous.

OK....I'm starting to ramble.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I've been following most of the thread. But what you said was not about "supporting" the Palestinians but to "caring about the plight of a bunch of muslims." Even what "support" the Palestinians might entail is subject to context. Support, how? What line might be drawn for that becomes unacceptable?

The larger point is that none of us are at times clear when we're speaking. So this isn't to single out some imprecise phrasing.

Still, antisemitism by definition (quick google) is: hostility to or prejudice against Jews.

When did humanism, a belief that human needs and values are more important than religious beliefs - be they Jewish or Muslim - somehow become "racist."

You've introduced the idea that there might be "pretense" involved. So the racist definition is now to include an assessment of the individual's authenticity?

That could to downhill real fast. Call someone a "racist" and a "liar" simultaneously.
When someone says “Israel is opressing the Palestinians.” They might not be anti Semitic. They might be, but I cant tell from that statement alone.

If someone says “THE JEWS are oppressing Palestinians” then I know the person is anti Semitic. They have something against THE JEWS, not just against Israel.

Does that clear it up?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I think what he means is that David Duke and Richard Spencer are so blatant about their antisemitism that Jews, for the most part, aren't worried about them. I for one have never discussed them with any of my Jewish friends. They're irrelevant.

But the antisemitism on the left is more concerning to me because it is more insidious. It's what I call "soft antisemitism," which in most cases presents as a tolerance of Jew-hatred or a minimization of its impact when it occurs on the left. How many times have liberals here insisted that Farrakhan, while not good, is a non-issue? What about a Christian progressive who said to me, when I expressed dismay over the blatant anti-Semitism among the leaders of the Women's March, that representing women's rights overrides the negative issues of anti-Semitism? (Her exact words were "let's try to overlook the Jewish stuff.")

And it also shows up when liberals comolain about Israel and start substituting the word "Jew" for Israeli. It happens ALL THE TIME. These two anti-Semitic Congresswoman (yes, they are....Tlaib actually published a piece in Farrakhans's newsletter some years ago, and we all know what was influencing Omar's comments) are dangerous.

OK....I'm starting to ramble.
But, Rachel, if it happens all the time then maybe it's just semantics. You and I know that Israel does have Palestinian citizens, who may be Muslim or Christian. But many simply view Israel as a "Jewish" state.

Could not some of this be simple word usage. I'm starting to feel like we need of primer of proper language here.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:23 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,281 times
Everyone should stand up for Jewish Americans. Judaic thought was the single greatest influence that brought about the Western Civilization that we all enjoy, and in which we all are comfortably ensconced.

In particular it was Genesis 1:26-27 that allowed the West to transition from a society where life was 'nasty, brutish, and short' (quoth Hobbes), and where slavery, murder and rape were the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judaic thought
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.... So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him; male and female created He them’
This simple tenet had a whole panoply of consequences, for example the end of slavery. Jews were the first in antiquity to recognize that, since man is made in the image of God, one man cannot own another. I say all this as someone who is non-religious, but the history does not lie.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Absolutely I read the followups. Forced to choose sides, they choose the Pals every time.
That’s not true. The guy that liked Israel’s wall sounded like he hated jews slightly less than he hates muslims. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
When someone says “Israel is opressing the Palestinians.” They might not be anti Semitic. They might be, but I cant tell from that statement alone.

If someone says “THE JEWS are oppressing Palestinians” then I know the person is anti Semitic. They have something against THE JEWS, not just against Israel.

Does that clear it up?
You're moving the bar from caring about Palestinians to supporting Palestinians to accusations about Palestinian oppression. See how hard this?

But to answer your question ... if the tone of voice was accusatory with an emphasis on THE JEWS, then sure ... if the tone of voice was unhappy concern then probably not. Someone can be very supportive of a state and a people but express dismay at certain actions ... and use the word "oppression."

Again, it comes down to context. And intent - racist intent, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies