Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:55 PM

39,206 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
The military pisses away more in post-it notes than they do for transgender folks. That said, I think it's unconscionable that our government doesn't take care of vets and hungry children. The problem is waste, waste and more waste. And I'm not talking about treating the transgendered. This country has plenty of money, it's just squandered on special interests and lining peoples' pockets.
well, this thread is about military paying special operations for the trans. Tax payers can voice a concern.
Many of us don't believe trans should be allowed to join the military because of this. However, I don't want to speak for everybody, but I personally believe for the trans who are currently serving, as long as the doctors deem the operation medically necessary, then the military should be paying for those operations.

Do I think they should be allowed to join in the first place? nope.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-02-2019 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The flaw in that is they will just "come out" after they join.
Then they can be kicked out after they "come out".

The policy should be:

If one had already begun a sex-reassignment course of treatment, cannot join the military
If one had finished sex-reassignment course of treatment and she/he still needs hormone therapy (or whatever it is called), cannot join the military
If one was self-identified as transgender, transsexual, cannot join the military
transgender, transsexual, Gender dysphoria are not service related disabilities

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 03-02-2019 at 04:05 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 04:03 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Lawsuits against military in the future for contributing to trans mental illness by paying for their mutilation.

OH JeeeZ Imagine... I could see someone suing because "they made it to easy for me to have the operation... they actually sort of encouraged it by holding my hand all along the way.... paying for the treatments the operation.... they believed what I believed that I really was a woman inside a mans body and now I miss my junk and I want it back...." BIG UGH..

It is dumb that the military has to pay out for this type of nonsense. If you really believe that you are a woman in a mans body then that is ok but I think people should have to wait until they are out of the military to start treatments and certainly to get the operation.

Imagine if this was happening during war time.
What would Patton say?
What would the Sargent in the movie "Full Metal Jacket" have to say?

Old 03-02-2019, 04:05 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I have no problem with trans serving in the military so long as they meet all of the other requirements for service (the same standard that I have for anyone else joining). I don't even have a problem with the military paying for sexual reassignment surgery. In my view, this is something that a comprehensive medical plan should cover.

Some may have a problem with people who would choose to join primarily to have such surgery paid for, but, even then, I say so what? People join the military for all sorts of reasons (some to get away from home, others to travel, others yet still to take advantage of education benefits, among other reasons). All I care about is that you love America and are good at your job.

Note, the only thing that could make me possibly reconsider is a comparative cost analysis that shows that trans troops considerably cost the military (on average) more than non-trans troops. In such a case, it would make sense, in my view, for the military to go for the cheaper alternative. Note, married individuals cost the military more than unmarried individuals, but the military would not function if it required that everyone be single or didn't compensate for dependents. The same is not true for trans troops.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:07 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It is absurd to let them into the military to begin with, as many in the psychiatric profession believe they have psychological problems.
But to think we'd pay for such things is just absurd.

The military is not a place for social engineering, and the last thing we need are these type of people flocking to the military in the hopes of having the taxpayers pay for their gender change desires.

`

Amen!!!

Old 03-02-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
OH JeeeZ Imagine... I could see someone suing because "they made it to easy for me to have the operation... they actually sort of encouraged it by holding my hand all along the way.... paying for the treatments the operation.... they believed what I believed that I really was a woman inside a mans body and now I miss my junk and I want it back...." BIG UGH..

It is dumb that the military has to pay out for this type of nonsense. If you really believe that you are a woman in a mans body then that is ok but I think people should have to wait until they are out of the military to start treatments and certainly to get the operation.

Imagine if this was happening during war time.
What would Patton say?
What would the Sargent in the movie "Full Metal Jacket" have to say?
well, if this was war time, then the trans who are going through operation obviously cannot be deployed.

Why bother letting them in in the first place? Some folks must act like social justice warriors and make it a civil right issue. Ridiculous. Just make it simple, trans can serve their countries without joining the military. Military is designed to be discriminatory.

Pink is exactly the reason why people with certain pre-existing conditions cannot join the military. It is the liability they (the military) cannot avoid once they allow these people to join. If the doctors deem the operations medically necessary, then of course the military is obligated to pay for it. It is silly to believe they can just sign a waiver of some kind and be done with it.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:15 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, if this was war time, then the trans who are going through operation obviously cannot be deployed.

Why bother letting them in in the first place? Some folks must act like social justice warriors and make it a civil right issue. Ridiculous. Just make it simple, trans can serve their countries without joining the military. Military is designed to be discriminatory.

Pink is exactly the reason why people with certain pre-existing conditions cannot join the military. It is liabilities they cannot avoid. If the doctors deem the operations medically necessary, then of course the military is obligated to pay for it. It is silly to believe they can just sign a waiver of some kind and be done with it.

Exactly!

Old 03-02-2019, 04:19 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Pink is exactly the reason why people with certain pre-existing conditions cannot join the military. It is the liability they (the military) cannot avoid once they allow these people to join. If the doctors deem the operations medically necessary, then of course the military is obligated to pay for it. It is silly to believe they can just sign a waiver of some kind and be done with it.
Just keep in mind that this same argument can be used for women of child-bearing age. Some may think its a valid argument (I tend to differ), but I'd just have you keep in mind that--particularly for the war time argument--there are many, many military occupations where you do not deploy. And given the small number of trans troops that we'd have if the restriction was lifted, I don't see a threat to readiness if things are managed properly.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Just keep in mind that this same argument can be used for women of child-bearing age. Some may think its a valid argument (I tend to differ), but I'd just have you keep in mind that--particularly for the war time argument--there are many, many military occupations where you do not deploy.
If I remember this correctly,

Single parents and military spouses with children can be discharged if they fail to implement and maintain a family care plan, which is one of the terms of remaining in the military after having a baby. Basically, the pregnant servicewoman has to demonstrate that once she has the baby she will be able to fulfill her obligation to the military and provide care for her child.

If the commanding officer is convinced that the member has done everything within his/her power to maintain a proper dependent care plan, the discharge characterization will normally be honorable. Otherwise, it would likely be general.

All these blah blah being said, women of child-bearing age are not the same as people with pre-existing conditions.

When my bro was serving in the Marine Corps, there is a saying, "If Marine Corps wants you to get married, they'd issue you a wife already." None of his team member was married. I don't even think they would select you to do the special operation if your life was full of drama. My brother's CO told his fellow Marines that be careful whom you chose to date, avoid certain type of women lol My bro was a force recon in the Marine Corps. Obviously, there are people who have common sense, there are people just want to be politically correct. There ares zero benefits allowing transgender folks to join the military. Plus, I thought they want the military to be downsized. lol So what is it?

Old 03-02-2019, 04:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Just keep in mind that this same argument can be used for women of child-bearing age. Some may think its a valid argument (I tend to differ), but I'd just have you keep in mind that--particularly for the war time argument--there are many, many military occupations where you do not deploy. And given the small number of trans troops that we'd have if the restriction was lifted, I don't see a threat to readiness if things are managed properly.
It is a valid comparison, a woman getting pregnant leaves the unit short of a body, and someone from somewhere needs to take her place.

Yes, not all positions deploy, and many of those positions are filled by members who have already had a few years assigned to a deploying unit. For example in the Navy, there is a limited number of shore assignments and even a smaller number of ones not having to do with maintenance or training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies