Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 02:15 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I ask again....have you worked in the admissions field?
Worked closely with them, in the financial aid field. And once again, the top schools are choosing among the best of the best. Whatever color, nationality or religion they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 02:21 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Worked closely with them, in the financial aid field. And once again, the top schools are choosing among the best of the best. Whatever color, nationality or religion they are.
Not true. Not where I worked. Blacks and Latinos got in with 3.0 GPAs whereas whites and Asians didn't stand a chance until they neared 3.8.

You're obviously a proponent of affirmative action. At least be honest about the large discrepancy in scores/grades between accepted minority and white applicants. I wouldn't mind a slight advantage to minority students, but the difference in huge.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Not true. Not where I worked. Blacks and Latinos got in with 3.0 GPAs whereas whites and Asians didn't stand a chance until they neared 3.8.

You're obviously a proponent of affirmative action. At least be honest about the large discrepancy in scores/grades between accepted minority and white applicants. I wouldn't mind a slight advantage to minority students, but the difference in huge.
Did you work at one of the top schools DC at the Ridge is referring to?

Old 03-15-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I don't care where you worked, and I'm neutral about affirmative action. The truth is that at the top-tier colleges, where they are accepting less than 10% of applicants, that the minority students still have 4.0+ grade points, and close to perfect college entrance exam scores that are being considered. As well, they have unique backgrounds and perspectives that will add to the educational environment. Harvard has a handful of openings. Why would they consider 3.0 grade-points when they have thousands of minority students with 4.0 grade-points applying?

Old 03-15-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Did you work at one of the top schools DC at the Ridge is referring to?
Without divulging too many details, I worked with a highly competitive and prestigious graduate program. Whites who applied with a 3.2 were not even considered, yet blacks with that score had about a 50-50 chance. It wasn't until whites got to the 3.8 level that they had a decent chance, whereas blacks with that GPA were virtually a shoe-in.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:38 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
I gotta tell ya. When friends of ours son..this boy, who is brilliant...had a meeting with a local Yale representative..the meeting took place at Starbucks..not near their home but in a posh locale of the City.

My first question was...why not meet at the school. School s for Seniors spend most of their senior year preparing for college lot s of on campus pull out and on campus weekend meetings and workshops for parents and students on how to get those best scholarships.

Second question was . did you guys ever hear back from this Rep?
And no they didnt. And..they said at the meeting he had nothing but a steno notebook with him and didnt write anything down.

Now I wonder if it was a set up part of this sting? Or actually someone involved to see if this family was willing to pay to play.

Its funny, but the intimidation and awe factor of actually coming close to getting into Yale..or so they believed..had them sugesting their son drive to the meeting in the parents Mercedes. Instead of the boys older toyota.

The time of the first Family Crime Organizations, Sex Trafficking Rings, and Foreign Lobby ists is coming to an end.
I can just read the classroom US History books of the very near future...

Unit 3- The Era of Corruption

And since it is impossible to get school curriculum passed let alone textbooks published unless you live , like ,in TEXAS, I imagine that chapter would be within this unit as well.

About dang doodle time.
Run em all off the cliff as they run from Justice.
Amen
I ll drink to that.

It's not a sting. Most Ivy League schools (and some other prestigious schools) want you to meet with an alumnus of the school (these are volunteers) who interview the student and write up some kind of evaluation. My oldest daughter did 2 of them. One was in a hotel lobby and the other one was at the guy's office in a neighboring town. They are not conducted at the school.

We were never asked to pay any money, nor were we offered any money.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:43 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
Without divulging too many details, I worked with a highly competitive and prestigious graduate program. Whites who applied with a 3.2 were not even considered, yet blacks with that score had about a 50-50 chance. It wasn't until whites got to the 3.8 level that they had a decent chance, whereas blacks with that GPA were virtually a shoe-in.
Yeah okay. I worked elite undergrad and you’re wrong.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yeah okay. I worked elite undergrad and you’re wrong.
Yeah okay, I worked elite grad and I'm right.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,226,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
That's the way it is with jobs and housing too. I worked in the HR field for a number of years at various companies during my career and one thing I noticed was, years ago to justify bringing onboard a candidate who didn't actually have schooling to a position that required some type of college education/degree, instead of hiring those applicants who actually did have college degrees, they'd say that the person was chosen for hire because even though they don't have an "education" they have, something called , "life experience" or "life experience skills".

Another time I worked for a company where two execs worked at the same organization as I. They had a daughter who took just two years of community college and then got a position within the same company where she held a very prestigious position, of course mom and dad were in the office to actually help her maintain the position since she really just took up office space and didn't actually do anything but look pretty. I kid you not, this 22 year old spent at least three hours a day out of the office for lunch and upon returning, showed off all the crap she just purchased at the local malls during lunch time. Lot's of stuff out there happening that would make your head spin.
Nepotism is WAY less common and prevalent than AA. Only in a few companies is it even possible (mostly only in smaller and privately held organizations), whereas nearly all companies, even private ones are all in on this "diversity hiring" crazy just to meet impossible and irrational arbitrary quotas for "representation".

Quote:
I wonder how many of these Hollywood actors are liberals who defend affirmative action to give a poor kid a leg up over a middle class kid - all while bribing officials to make sure their snowflakes get in.
Are they hypocritical , yes. But you mischaracterize the real crime...its not "poor kids", its unqualified kids let in because of their skin color/ethnicity. Poor kids have ALWAYS had equal opportunity to get INTO college, and now they ALSO get a free ride. The damage done to society through the AA scam, which is far bigger than this "pay for admission" scam, occurs when any people are unqualified, and elevated over the qualified only because of their membership in these imaginary "protected class" groups that the left has coked up through Identity Politics, to undermine and destabilize Western nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And at the elite schools, the protected minorities with stellar scores, transcripts, and abilities are applying. The top schools are picking among the top students, regardless of the color of the skin.
HAHA! That's false. They are not. In fact, I think it was at Harvard, it was shown that if selected on merit only the black enrollment would fall by over 90% and the Hispanic enrollment by close to that percentage.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post

HAHA! That's false. They are not. In fact, I think it was at Harvard, it was shown that if selected on merit only the black enrollment would fall by over 90% and the Hispanic enrollment by close to that percentage.
It's not false. Evidently you believe that all black students are sub-par. While the truth is that thousands of black students with perfect grade-points, with 95-percentile college entrance exam scores apply to the top-tier colleges. The top schools, like Harvard, are picking among the top minority students, and among the top students overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies