Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 06:32 PM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
That's rapidly changing silly goose. I do try to take care and use mass transit and cut my power consumption in half. I CARE about my children and their children after that. That's called being SELFLESS.
If you use mass transit and use any power whatsoever, you are destroying the planet and far from selfless....if you care for the children.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:46 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Whereas Trump blows continually.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:09 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Fossil fuels run the world. Get over it. Fossil fuels are so abundant in the U.S. that we have centuries of supply. They are efficient, inexpensive, and available. Use them without guilt. Worry about helping your fellow man through charity, not about restricting what he does, and controlling others to make yourself FEEL better.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:30 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
It is really pathetic to see the level of ignorance and partisanship this thread.

Wind power is good but it can only be cost efficient in certain areas of the country where reasonably reliable wind is present. Like in the flat lands of Iowa and Nebraska and Kansas. Or as Britain has done it, off shore in the North Sea. But in areas where wind is not consistent it is not cost efficient.Paradoxically when wind is too strong it endangers the wind blades and it needs to be temporarily shut down. And we had people like Ted Kennedy who did not want iff the shores of Cape Cod because it will spoil his view and reduce the value of his home. So he blocked it.

Storing wind and solar power is not easy. Batteries to store such high amounts of electricity is not feasible. Even the huge battery storage that Tesla built for New South Wales in Australia costing millions of dollars could power only for a few minutes and was more used for smoothening the power fluctuations. They are trying the old fashioned way of using the electricity in the day to pump water off a lake up the hill during the day and running it down at night to a turbine to produce electricity in the night. It think that is in WV.

So Trump is both right and wrong. We cannot rely on wind power in all situations but there is a place for wind power in certain areas and to be used in conjunction with Solar, fossil and maybe nuclear power. The right mix and match. All groups will not be fully satisfied but it is the right approach for the country.

As for the Ted Kennedy reference, correct, to an extent:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/u...wind-farm.html

"Over the years, the highly effective opposition included Senator Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts, who died in 2009, and was led by William I. Koch, a billionaire industrialist who made his fortune in fossil fuels and is the brother of Charles G. and David H. Koch, who have underwritten conservative causes.The opposition was so relentless, well funded and determined that in all this time, no turbines were ever anchored to the ocean floor, no blades ever spun, no power was ever generated."

Now, Mr. Trump, I imagine, was venting some frustration at his inability to halt construction of windmills of the coast of Scotland (close to a country club):

https://qz.com/1291269/the-scottish-...-now-complete/

So, Mr. Trump and the late Mr. Kennedy had something in common: they did not want windmills off their coast. Kennedy and his team won, Trump lost.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:33 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
And what kind of pollution is created to both manufacture and dispose of these batteries? I understand what you are saying but the answer is never that simple. Battery disposal will be a huge problem.

Don't ask me for a link because I don't remember where I read it......but I came across something a while back on the subject that not only addresses what you're saying here, but also talks about the return of power used to actually make and erect the windmills.

It stated that one of these huge windmills would take years or even decades to produce enough power to equal the amount of power used to build it.

Not really a smart return on investment.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:38 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Not going to answer a stupid question, and you don’t put a wind GENERATOR where there is NO wind. Are you off your meds again?
Oh OK, you don't want to be taken "literally" for what you have said.

So you admit that taking Trump "literally", so you can go "Orange Man Bad" is stupid. I knew you had it in you.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
People still fighting the inevitable. It's really pathetic and sad to see. Renewable's rising, gasoline cars dying, Cancer-causing Coal lovers crying. We want pollution! We want health epidemics! We want to plunder our resources! Crazy the thought process in some! Screw our children's future, right?!

I would be nice if you could wish something into existence.

Pass all the laws you want, it won't make the technology more feasible.

You can mandate that all cars get 100 mpg in 10 years, but simply passing the law won't make it happen.

Neither will throwing taxpayer's money at it via carbon taxes.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
That's rapidly changing silly goose. I do try to take care and use mass transit and cut my power consumption in half. I CARE about my children and their children after that. That's called being SELFLESS.

Where do you think the power comes from to use mass transit?

Old 03-31-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
When I don't pay the bill there is no electricity. Imagine.
Trump is a brilliant genius if he actually knows that.

When the pipeline has a software error and stops delivering the gas, the plant slows or stops.

This Trump Guy...he's brilliant. 4th Grade level smart!

Sometimes it takes 4th grade level smart to combat 4th grade level stupid.

The technology to rely on wind and solar is no where's near ready for prime time.

When you invent an environmentally friendly battery that will match the power of fossil fuels....

Give Trump a call. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:44 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Don't ask me for a link because I don't remember where I read it......but I came across something a while back on the subject that not only addresses what you're saying here, but also talks about the return of power used to actually make and erect the windmills.

It stated that one of these huge windmills would take years or even decades to produce enough power to equal the amount of power used to build it.

Not really a smart return on investment.
Whatever you read seems to have been a rehash of an old urban legend. The actual answer is 3-6 months.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...6014810900055X
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies