Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider healthcare as a right for every citizen a far left position?
Yes, this is far left and extremism 114 42.07%
No, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege 157 57.93%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 AM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
People voluntarily cooperating? It goes on all the time and every minute of the day, why would the creation roads be exempt from such cooperation?
And if one neighbor doesn't want to cooperate, or can't afford to pay their share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 AM

89,239 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
That's bull crap, and I think you know it.
UK National Health Care lets people go blind because of extended wait times for appropriate treatment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...esearch-shows/

Old 04-08-2019, 08:13 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,673,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yes, you can Pursue Happiness. BUT, there is no guarantee that you will ever catch it.
In the era in which it was written, "Pursuit" was more commonly used to mean "occupation" as in the following:

"What is your pursuit?" "I am a Smithy" or "I am a Cooper" or "I am a Doctor."

The phrase "Pursuit of Happiness" was another way of saying self-determination. If you want to be a blacksmith (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blacksmith), no government should tell you you must instead become Cooper (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_(profession)).

Old 04-08-2019, 08:14 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,518,797 times
US will have UHC just not with current old generation in place today protecting the status quo.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:17 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,982,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
No one denies them cancer treatment. It is available for purchase... just like a Porsche 911.

All of us one day will die. Until then, we're free to purchase the goods and services we wish.
If you dont have the money for the cancer treatment, you die. Whats so great about that?

Old 04-08-2019, 08:18 AM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
My mom is currently will be 92 on May 1. A life-long RN in a county hospital medical/surgical unit, her view is much of the time people get well despite their medical care.

Aside from childbirth and cataract surgery, she's seen a doctor maybe 5 times in her entire life. She's never had a mammogram or colonoscopy. She shakes her head at seniors who schedule their life around thrice-weekly doctors visits that do little except provide for the mortgage payments of the practice's employees.
Do this for me, ask Mom how a type 1 diabetic gets better without insulin, ask her how many cancerous tumors go away on their own, and how someone walks with an untreated compound fracture of their tibia. I think you heard her wrong for Mom is getting confused in her old age

Old 04-08-2019, 08:19 AM

45,259 posts, read 26,514,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
That's certainly not the case most of the time in most countries with such systems. Worst case scenario yes that does happen, but then worst case scenario under the US system is that the waiting list is effectively forever if a person doesn't have insurance to cover the surgery.
Surgeries can be financed. What hasnt helped is govt meddling, controls, edicts, etc. in pretty much every sector of healthcare that have made surgery (and everything else) exorbitantly expensive. Why people want the state to meddle more or take it over entirely is beyond me. And I dont really care how its done on the other side of planet in a country with a fraction of the US population in a country that doesnt have its military spread all over the globe fighting numerous wars, while at the same time also funding a ginormous welfare state.
The US is full of dreamers and naive economic children who are for the most part too lazy to look behind the curtain to see how things really work.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,982,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
US will have UHC just not with current old generation in place today protecting the status quo.
The reality is that it has nothing to do with the age of voters and everything to do with the corrupt system of campaign finance and the destruction of the labor union movements. If other developed countries had our system of campaign finance and extremely weak labor unions, they wouldnt have universal health care either.

Workers being dependent on employment for the health of their families is a strong weapon for the employer in the relentless struggle between worker and employer. Workers are rightly terrified of losing their job when the consequence could be the death of their family members or themselves and will be obedient and submissive as a result. The ruling class will not give up this weapon of control without a fight. Thats why we see their puppets in Congress and the White House and their media arm (basically all corporate mainstream media) fighting tooth and nail to convince ordinary people that we can not have it.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:22 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,058,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
UK National Health Care lets people go blind because of extended wait times for appropriate treatment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...esearch-shows/
That's bollox, you could always try asking somebody who actually lives in the UK about their actual real experience concerning the NHS? I know how about asking me!! I AM the horses mouth. I can tell you now the NHS has saved me for sure, you tell me - what 'system' is better for me and my Mrs 1) a system where she gets free x-rays, CT scans, heart checks, physio, councilling etc or 2) a system that wouldn't give us these things because it would cost us too much money.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:22 AM

45,259 posts, read 26,514,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But your taxes pay for schools, the fire brigade and roads, what has a Porsche got to do with it!!?? Surely even you can see that!
And people here think they can wish free healthcare into existence same as a Porsche!!! Surely you see that mindset at work!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies