Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider healthcare as a right for every citizen a far left position?
Yes, this is far left and extremism 114 42.07%
No, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege 157 57.93%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 08:56 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Instead of desperately trying to change the subject will you just answer my bloody questions! See post 282 and answer the question, then tell me why you should have to pay for the police when its the bloody gangs that seem to get the most use out of them! lol.
Since you're so into personal anecdotes, I'll share some of mine. Police and fire service aren't free where I've lived. They're funded via a co-pay system. A portion of the cost is funded via the property tax flat rate that everyone (including renters, it's calculated into their rent cost) pays PLUS there's a user co-pay for services. IOW, fees directly paid by the user who calls the fire department or police for help. A 3.5 mile fire department response ambulance ride to the nearest hospital cost us $700 (neighbor called for an ambulance when my daughter had a health issue at her house which turned out to be harmless).

A fire department response to an actual home on fire could cost the homeowner about $50,000 but that cost is usually covered by homeowners insurance. Just make sure that's covered in the policy you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 08:59 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,335 times
I don't consider free healthcare for all to be right. Those who can afford it should pay if they want it.
The big question is deciding who can afford it.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:03 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I see it as a human rights issue separate from any political dogma. The United States, one of the richest countries in the world, is one of the few developed countries in the world that doesn't have universal health care. Having a healthy citizenry who are able to work and thrive is as important as the billions of dollars that this country spends on our military to guard us against foreign enemies.
Actually I think the US is the only developed country that still doesn't have any form of universal healthcare.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:03 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Since you're so into personal anecdotes, I'll share some of mine. Police and fire service aren't free where I've lived. They're funded via a co-pay system. A portion of the cost is funded via the property tax flat rate that everyone (including renters, it's calculated into their rent cost) pays PLUS there's a user co-pay for services. IOW, fees directly paid by the user who calls the fire department or police for help. A 3.5 mile fire department response ambulance ride to the nearest hospital cost us $700 (neighbor called for an ambulance when my daughter had a health issue at her house which turned out to be harmless).

A fire department response to an actual home on fire could cost the homeowner about $50,000 but that cost is usually covered by homeowners insurance. Just make sure that's covered in the policy you buy.
Bloody hell - you are being 'ripped off' big time! You gotta take your head out of the sand.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:04 AM

13,947 posts, read 5,619,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Are you playing dumb, or do you genuinely think paying taxes has the same impact on someone as being slammed with a 5-6 figure medical bill?
Paying taxes is worse because it is a system of taking based on force and violence, and it harms millions, intentionally.

An individual "being slammed" with a 5-6 figure medical bill would be unfortunate if they were not insured and/or had no ability to pay, but unfortunate as it may be, they made use of goods and services provided by others, and therefore should compensate those who provided those goods and services.

"Unfortunate" becomes "tragic and immoral" the minute anyone with power to do so forces others to labor on behalf of that individual's inability to pay their 5-6 figure medical bill.

And yes, I genuinely think that.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:06 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
UK National Health Care lets people go blind because of extended wait times for appropriate treatment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...esearch-shows/
Imagine that! hundreds you say?

Quote:
...1.2 million Americans experience unnecessary vision impairment from cataracts, including approximately 157,000 cases of blindness. To calculate the preventable burden, the committee assumed that 95 percent of all untreated cataracts cases were immediately treatable, at a one-time cost of $2,640 (persons ages 40 to 64) and $3,730 (persons over age 65). If all these individuals (prevalent cases) and all new (incident) cases were treated, about 300,000 QALYs would be saved, at an average net economic savings of more than $20 billion, including direct and indirect costs, over the next 10 years. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK402366/#

Old 04-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm not in the UK, I'm in Canada where health care IS a right. I've had cataract surgery done in a timely manner....Your link talks about incurable eye problems.
It discusses treatable conditions which, if treated appropriately in a timely manner, preserves one's eyesight. AMD, for example, can be successfully treated and may or may not recur.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:08 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:

Where was this?

Old 04-08-2019, 09:09 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
It discusses treatable conditions which, if treated appropriately in a timely manner, preserves one's eyesight. AMD, for example, can be successfully treated and may or may not recur.
How unfortunate that you posted this just after post 329! (by the way you still haven't answered my question).

Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Wait times are longer in average, but far fewer people don't get treatment at all. Not getting treated at all until its so bad you have to show up at emergency room is a much worse case of unmet needs.
Extended wait times can mean the difference between life and death, eyesight and blindness, etc. Untreated, due to extended wait times = unmet need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies