Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider healthcare as a right for every citizen a far left position?
Yes, this is far left and extremism 114 42.07%
No, healthcare should be a right, not a privilege 157 57.93%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 08:49 AM

89,124 posts, read 44,928,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Of course there are, but the prevalence of those unmet needs may well vary don't you think?
Yes. Wait times are much longer in UHC countries. Untreated = unmet need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 08:50 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,355,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
So now you tell me how me and my Mrs were supposed to 'know' about the Muscular Dystrophy exactly?
For the most part, you deserve protection, because genetic predisposition is not a matter of personal choice, but smoking a pack of cigarettes every day is.

I understand the problem here; my father, a farmer, developed multiple myeloma, probably due to overexposure to herbicide. But it's only via research over the long term that threats like this can be identified and mitigated. A system based on equality of result, rather than identification and minimization of risk, has no incentive to do this.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:51 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,179,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
UK National Health Care lets people go blind because of extended wait times for appropriate treatment.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...esearch-shows/
I'm not in the UK, I'm in Canada where health care IS a right. I've had cataract surgery done in a timely manner....Your link talks about incurable eye problems.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:51 AM

1,877 posts, read 679,535 times
Quote:
Your personal anecdote does not negate the oversight board's (BOSU, in this case) data. UK National Health care has unmet needs with the result of hundreds going blind each year instead of receiving timely appropriate treatment that would have saved their eyesight.
Yes, but you also need to put those 250 people per year in the context of the health service treating hundreds of thousands of patients for glaucoma and AMD each year.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:53 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,049,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
For the most part, you deserve protection, because genetic predisposition is not a matter of personal choice, but smoking a pack of cigarettes every day is.

I understand the problem here; my father, a farmer, developed multiple myeloma, probably due to overexposure to herbicide. But it's only via research over the long term that threats like this can be identified and mitigated. A system based on equality of result, rather than identification and minimization of risk, has no incentive to do this.
Only 'for the most part'? What about policing - would you say some people 'deserve' protection from the police force more than others? If so how would you implement that? Should people that live in the city not be assessed as 'at greater risk' and therefore pay more? Are you not paying for the protection of all the 'gangbangers', vagabonds, thieves and illegal immigrants?

Old 04-08-2019, 08:55 AM

13,985 posts, read 5,647,020 times
Quote:
Are you actually making a valid point? We all know what a public service is, I am just wondering why so many Americans are so blind when it comes to healthcare? Its almost like the medical profession want it that way so they can make plenty of profit from the people 'brainwashed' into thinking that public health is some kind of Communist...............................hey wait a minute!
I am not blind about health care. It is one of many things that government and a vast number of people would like to add to the growing list of forced/violent claims on the labor of others.

Obviously, I say no, it should not be added, because I want all forced/violent claims on the labor of others done away with entirely (it's that whole "logical consistency" thing us anarchists are famous for), and I find the immorality of forcing people to labor against their will for a thing greater than any possible immorality of that thing not being done at all. Since you'll likely reply to that statement with a "so you mean..." appeal to ridicule or something, it means this, specific to this topic:

I think people not being able to afford goods and services that can possibly extend their life expectancy is unfortunate, but not immoral; however, I think some percentage of the population being forced to labor on behalf of those who cannot afford those goods and services is unfortunate, tragic, and totally immoral.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
That's certainly not the case most of the time in most countries with such systems. Worst case scenario yes that does happen, but then worst case scenario under the US system is that the waiting list is effectively forever if a person doesn't have insurance to cover the surgery.
It is for the lads in the UK that trash their knees as a flooring fitter. The immediately get put on assistance because they cannot work and given reduced rent in a slum house, because they are going to be on hard times for over a year and a half, before they may be able to go back to work.
I have heard the horror stories about selective specialized surgeries in the UK.
Here you are cut on within the week and back to work in less than 3 months.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:56 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,355,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Children are not capable of "homeschooling themselves" any more than they are capable of driving cars or flying airplanes by themself. Someone needs to notify children's protective services about this kids parents assuming this story is true.

The young man is enrolled in a legitimate homeschooling program endorsed by the state Department of Public Instruction (Education) and we have no problem with that sort of publicly-funded policing. But the fact that you would immediately consider whining to those in a position of authority says a lot about your character and thinking -- or a lack of it.

Quote:
Only 'for the most part'? What about policing - would you say some people 'deserve' protection from the police force more than others? If so how would you implement that? Should people that live in the city not be assessed as 'at greater risk' and therefore pay more? Are you not paying for the protection of all the 'gangbangers', vagabonds, thieves and illegal immigrants?
That we are -- and that's the %^&* in' trouble!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-08-2019 at 09:06 AM..

1,877 posts, read 679,535 times
Quote:
Yes. Wait times are much longer in UHC countries. Untreated = unmet need.
Wait times are longer in average, but far fewer people don't get treatment at all. Not getting treated at all until its so bad you have to show up at emergency room is a much worse case of unmet needs.

12,275 posts, read 7,153,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
So .... money is STILL coming out of the pockets of patients. Sheesh, Can these leftists think at all?
Are you playing dumb, or do you genuinely think paying taxes has the same impact on someone as being slammed with a 5-6 figure medical bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies