Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Right-to-Work?
Yes 64 56.14%
No 50 43.86%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 05:40 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,867 times

Advertisements

Private sector jobs are now only about 6% union. If you don't want to join a union, go get one of the 94% of jobs that are non-union. There's your 'right to work.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 05:46 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
A person can not be serious when they claim they support strong labor unions while at the same time supporting right-to-work-for-less laws.
I support labor unions and I support right to work. I support choice, not forcing people to do things they don't want to do. I don't support forcing people to join organizations they don't want to join.

And I'm serious.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:47 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Private sector jobs are now only about 6% union. If you don't want to join a union, go get one of the 94% of jobs that are non-union. There's your 'right to work.'
Who made you god and gave you the authority to tell me what organizations I have to join?

Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,013,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Who made you god and gave you the authority to tell me what organizations I have to join?
You in fact don't have to join. You are completely free to turn down the union job, and go get a non-union job. Note that I say this only in connection with private sector work. The public sector is a different kettle of fish, and I fully support the Janus decision which gave public employees the right to opt out of unions.

Again, it's like taking a job at Apple and then demanding the 'right' to use android (google operating system )instead of ios (apple's operating system). Sorry, if you don't want to use ios, don't take a job at Apple.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I support labor unions and I support right to work. I support choice, not forcing people to do things they don't want to do. I don't support forcing people to join organizations they don't want to join.

And I'm serious.
Then you're mighty serious about freeloading. After all, seriously, why should you pay for the benefits of a union when it can easily be had for free in any right to work state by not joining the union and laugh at the suckers who so pay the union out of every paycheck. And your boss or company owner will be cheering you on.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, support 100%. No one should be forced to join a union to get a job.

After being in a union (IBEW), I would never want to be part of such absurdity again.
Since the 1940s it has been against the law to first join a labor union as a condition for being granted a job.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:11 PM

1,406 posts, read 802,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then you're mighty serious about freeloading. After all, seriously, why should you pay for the benefits of a union when it can easily be had for free in any right to work state by not joining the union and laugh at the suckers who so pay the union out of every paycheck. And your boss will be cheering you on.
It's funny, so many Democrats and leftists use the freeloader argument in support of unions but have no problem with 40+% of the population paying no federal income tax or with redistributing money to people who haven't earned it.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
It's funny, so many Democrats and leftists use the freeloader argument in support of unions but have no problem with 40+% of the population paying no federal income tax or with redistributing money to people who haven't earned it.
So Republicans don't want to do a damn thing about it either. When was the last time you heard a Republican running for legislator declare that he supports ending all welfare. Instead, you'll hear the Republican pay lip service toward ending abortion. Saying that seems to be where more votes are.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:30 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
I did until a referendum passed there that created a right-to-work law. I thought right to work was a good idea.

But after seeing that all it really means is Right To Starve after 20 years of right to work, I changed my mind.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:42 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
you act like they are on equal footing. they aren't.
equal footing? probably not... A company will survive without a CEO...……...A dedicated sufficient work force...……….probably not...…...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies