Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Right-to-Work?
Yes 64 56.14%
No 50 43.86%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 03:40 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So you would rather people work at a non-unionized workplace with lower pay and fewer benefits? On the other hand, if unionized workers are not getting a better deal than in an equivalent non-unionized workplace, then workers ought to vote the union out and enjoy a raise in pay.
I would rather people have freedom.

Unions have become anti-Democratic.

Reread my points against Unions in the post you replied to and tell me which one is unreasonable.

If unions are such a great deal they should be able to win over members without coercion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 04:56 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
I do not support it because it is big business using the government to enforce policies across all business to thier benefit.
Pick any other issue a company has that I do not like and the response would be, look for another place to work then. So it should be in this case as well.

If you do not want join the union and pay the dues, look for another place to work.
With only 10% of the workforce unionized, there are thousands of other business to choose from.

What if a company endorses a particular candidate or lobbyists I do not agree with. They are using my voice on something I do not agree with so should we create laws to stop that as well?

Old 04-10-2019, 05:04 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And? There is more than one place to work, and more than one type of work to engage in. All non-competes do is protect the company from someone in sales taking the customers they developed on company time to another business-or a designer or engineer from taking IP that was developed on the company dime elsewhere. Don't like the terms of a non-compete? Don't sign one.
you asked for any "restrictions" don't want answers.... don't ask.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:06 AM

But lets cut to the real meat of the issue.
As always, it has to do with money.
It takes away more power from organized labor allowed under capitalism.
Lets take away the power of organized business from lobbyists to purchasing politicians to corrupt back room deals and crony contracts.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Right-to-work is a right to work for less and will completely destroy the remaining labor unions in this country. Benefiting from strong unions but not be willing to pay is just wrong. Its freeloading. Freeloading is not a basic right.

A person can not be serious when they claim they support strong labor unions while at the same time supporting right-to-work-for-less laws.

No country has every had a strong middle class without strong labor unions. There is a reason why the ruling class always goes for the throat/the labor unions in their war against the working class. There is power in numbers and when capital is highly organized while labor is disorganized, capital always wins. At the expense of Joe Sixpack.

Whats interesting is that people on the far right seek to destroy labor unions which is a huge gift to employers who push for massive illegal immigration. A labor market with no proper labor rights is a massive pull factor for illegal immigration. In labor markets with strong labor rights thats enforced, employers have less incentives to engage in a race-to-the-bottom.
They claim to be against Communism but their policies will mirror Communism in the end.
Instead of the power concentrated at the state, it will be concentrated with Big Business and the state they own.

They claim to be super-patriots but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective toward which all their deceit is directed is to capture political power so that using the power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously they may keep the common man in eternal subjection." VP Wallace on Fascism 1944

Old 04-10-2019, 05:15 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
I'm confused by Right to Work Laws.

In a country where we celebrate freedoms shouldn't workers be able to decide if they want unions or not.

Why should the government be in the business of influencing business?

See they hypocrisy in conservatives who claim smaller govt......they don't want smaller govt...they want a different govt.

And that's fine -- just don't be hypocritical about it.l

Old 04-10-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
yes unions are far more obsolete than the electoral college
So should corporate and banking lobbying then as well.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm confused by Right to Work Laws.

In a country where we celebrate freedoms shouldn't workers be able to decide if they want unions or not.

Why should the government be in the business of influencing business?

See they hypocrisy in conservatives who claim smaller govt......they don't want smaller govt...they want a different govt.

And that's fine -- just don't be hypocritical about it.l
They claim to be super-patriots but they would destroy every liberty guaranteed by the Constitution. They demand free enterprise but are the spokesmen for monopoly and vested interest. Their final objective toward which all their deceit is directed is to capture political power so that using the power of the state and the power of the market simultaneously they may keep the common man in eternal subjection." VP Wallace on Fascism 1944

Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I was a supervisor once. The union did everything it could to protect people who were stealing and committing payroll fraud. That just made the good worker's jobs harder. If a union acts like that people should be able to quit. Then the union would have to act more responsibly.
I was a union steward in the private sector.

I was also a manager in the private sector.

I also worked in the fed public sector.

There are good unions and bad unions.

There are good companies and bad companies.

If people WANT to join a union it is their right. Just as it is also their right to NOT join the union.

I do believe public sector unions should be abolished.

There is a BIG conflict of interest in public unions.

There is a reason why 99% of ALL union campaign "donations" go to dems.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:11 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I was a union steward in the private sector.

I was also a manager in the private sector.

I also worked in the fed public sector.

There are good unions and bad unions.

There are good companies and bad companies.

If people WANT to join a union it is their right. Just as it is also their right to NOT join the union.

I do believe public sector unions should be abolished.

There is a BIG conflict of interest in public unions.

There is a reason why 99% of ALL union campaign "donations" go to dems.
And if a company doesn't want to bargain with a union it should be its right as well, because that is really the reason right to work laws exist at all.
People should be free to form their own relationships without laws to force them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies