Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Right-to-Work?
Yes 64 56.14%
No 50 43.86%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:45 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
In India? Really? come on man get serious. The place filled with deformities because they drink their own poop out of the river
didn't read the link did you? Good example of what happens when you "trust" a corporation to "do the right thing" for its employees...……..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:13 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Marketing.. America is a dream, when all you know about it, is all the movies and shows.
But when people realize that Hollywood movies are NOT the true US, reality sets in right quick.

Appalling healthcare system, poor workers rights, vicious police and sentencing for petty crimes in a for profitt correction system... wage stagnation, and MASSIVe amounts of people who don´t belive in Science.

After wanting to work and live in America almost my entire life.. it was first when I had serious medical issues myself, I realized our system is superior for everyday people!

If you have money in the US, its a great thing... if you are struggling with something, not so much!
There are some places that embrace socialized business ownership, taxpayer funded medical care, have little or no police protection and has no rich CEOs. I would think that those on the left would be flocking to Venezuela in a continuous stream. In fact, I really think we should be working to inform people leaving Central America just how bad the United States is and how much better they are in their own countries. Perhaps we should offer to ship those illegals that are already here in this nation transportation to Europe, where conditions are so much better.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Unions are basically the flip side of corporations. If capital owners can band together under legal privilege in the form of a limited liability company that has its own legal personality, can negotiate on behalf of all the individual owners, protects investors from personal loss beyond the amount invested etc then why not something similar for workers? If every employer was an individual natural person then there wouldn't be the imbalance of power making unions necessary to avoid one side getting screwed over in bargaining
What is this "imbalance of power" of which you speak? Employees have the ultimate power-they can quit and go elsewhere to an employer that compensates them better. Or even better, they can start their own businesses, and be free to reward their employees with as generous a compensation package as they care to. In case you missed it-many corporations have to "build a case" to fire an employee, often offering multiple opportunities to improve their performance. I may have missed it-but are there any laws that restrict an employee's rights to quit a job?

Old 04-09-2019, 07:23 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What is this "imbalance of power" of which you speak? Employees have the ultimate power-they can quit and go elsewhere to an employer that compensates them better. Or even better, they can start their own businesses, and be free to reward their employees with as generous a compensation package as they care to. In case you missed it-many corporations have to "build a case" to fire an employee, often offering multiple opportunities to improve their performance. I may have missed it-but are there any laws that restrict an employee's rights to quit a job?
you missed it...…….

https://www.workplacefairness.org/no...ete-agreements

Old 04-09-2019, 07:26 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,707,417 times
I fully support right to work laws. I've worked in union shops, and quite frankly I prefer non-union. Those talking about how unions make it harder for employers to fire someone? You're right, it does. Even when the person needs to be fired because they stuck at their job it's almost impossible to get them out.

That being said, I don't care if someone else wants to join a union. I have a problem with anyone being forced to join a union simply because they want to be employed by a specific company. Union membership should be at will, with those not joining the union not being allowed to use union reps to negotiate for them and not being forced to go on strike because the negotiations of the union aren't going well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
And? There is more than one place to work, and more than one type of work to engage in. All non-competes do is protect the company from someone in sales taking the customers they developed on company time to another business-or a designer or engineer from taking IP that was developed on the company dime elsewhere. Don't like the terms of a non-compete? Don't sign one.

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Since the 1940s it has been against the law to first join a labor union as a condition for being granted a job.
Lol, yea, hiring halls bypass that one pretty easily, been there, done that.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:39 PM

26,488 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Right-to-work is a right to work for less and will completely destroy the remaining labor unions in this country. Benefiting from strong unions but not be willing to pay is just wrong. Its freeloading. Freeloading is not a basic right.
Uhhh…

Unions freeload.

#1 They resist recertification votes so the workers as a whole don't actually get to choose a union.

#2 If there is an important vote like if you are lucky to have a recertification vote every 25 years then they make the votes PUBLIC so they can intimidate you into voting the correct way.

#3 You must not only join, but you must pay dues.

#4 Many unions own their own health insurance provider, use their status to get their insurance provider a monopoly that then overcharges above fair market prices. Often this means that the government/schools get hammered with large costs above fair market value.

#5 Many unions help manage the pensions to exorbitant fees and in Detroit's case "13th month bonus checks" not called for in the plan (shocking that Detroit's pension has already needed 2 bailouts).

#6 Unions flushed with so much cash that the Michigan Teacher's Union (MEA) donated $ to Abortion PACs despite the majority of teachers opposing the move.

#7 Because of unions I get paid the exact same amount whether or not I work my tail off or if I do just enough not to get fired.

#8 Because of unions it is hard to fire crappy lazy workers.

Who is promoting freeloading?

Wake up.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:41 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I did until a referendum passed there that created a right-to-work law. I thought right to work was a good idea.

But after seeing that all it really means is Right To Starve after 20 years of right to work, I changed my mind.
Right. People in states without Right to Work need to be warned to not to be deceived by Right to Work hucksters. In 2001 they said Oklahoma would become a more attractive state for manufacturing with Right to Work. Voters passed it. No new manufacturing plants came to town. Later on Mercury Marine, the biggest plant that employed up to 1,200 people permanently shut down. Several years later an aerospace company bought the plant and after several years hardly more than 200 people work there now. Other than that, the town continues to have frustration getting new industry to come in. Also a massive printing plant that once printed Rolling Stone magazine and mailed from there to all across the country also shut down. It remains shutdown.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Uhhh…

Unions freeload.

#1 They resist recertification votes so the workers as a whole don't actually get to choose a union.

#2 If there is an important vote like if you are lucky to have a recertification vote every 25 years then they make the votes PUBLIC so they can intimidate you into voting the correct way.

#3 You must not only join, but you must pay dues.

#4 Many unions own their own health insurance provider, use their status to get their insurance provider a monopoly that then overcharges above fair market prices. Often this means that the government/schools get hammered with large costs above fair market value.

#5 Many unions help manage the pensions to exorbitant fees and in Detroit's case "13th month bonus checks" not called for in the plan (shocking that Detroit's pension has already needed 2 bailouts).

#6 Unions flushed with so much cash that the Michigan Teacher's Union (MEA) donated $ to Abortion PACs despite the majority of teachers opposing the move.

#7 Because of unions I get paid the exact same amount whether or not I work my tail off or if I do just enough not to get fired.

#8 Because of unions it is hard to fire crappy lazy workers.

Who is promoting freeloading?

Wake up.
So you would rather people work at a non-unionized workplace with lower pay and fewer benefits? On the other hand, if unionized workers are not getting a better deal than in an equivalent non-unionized workplace, then workers ought to vote the union out and enjoy a raise in pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies