Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 11:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The state doesn’t provide homeschool materials. Not in my state anyway.

I think you’d also need to include vaccine mandates for everyone who comes intt the school if you think it should apply to homeschoolers who might on rare occasion set foot in schools. That would include all parents, staff, etc.
Your state (also mine), already requires homeschoolers to be vaccinated (or exempted).
https://www.responsiblehomeschooling...-requirements/

Old 04-17-2019, 11:21 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That is untrue.

False: Suzy Goal Post Mover said side effects aren't really side effects, especially when they are listed on package inserts. You can go find her post.

It's been estimated that doctors receive about 3 hours of training in vaccines during med school.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:22 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Your state (also mine), already requires homeschoolers to be vaccinated (or exempted).
https://www.responsiblehomeschooling...-requirements/
I already stated that. You might want to read the posts leading up to that one.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:23 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
The state doesn’t provide homeschool materials. Not in my state anyway. Unless you mean aon online school via a school district.

I think you’d also need to include vaccine mandates for everyone who comes in the school if you think it should apply to homeschoolers who might on rare occasion set foot in schools. That would include all parents, staff, etc. Want to attend your grandchild’s play? Better show proof of immunizations.
If the state provides no assistance for homeschooling, then homeschoolers both gain and lose nothing with a waiver. Or am I misunderstanding?

Would a parent be denied access to online school materials from a school district due to non vaccination? That wouldn’t be right in my opinion.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:24 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Doesn’t matter how many do or do not go to Bali. According to your logic, if 1 person suffers a consequence of their choice then there is no freedom of choice.

According to my logic, they got to choose and they bear the consequences.
Going to Bali is a choice.

Going to school in any form? A requirement by law.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Going to Bali is a choice.

Going to school in any form? A requirement by law.
Yes and states should provide options for the unvaccinated kids who don’t have a waiver. They should not require vaccines other than for kids who are enrolled in brick and mortar schools.

They should also provide the same level of support for homeschool/online kids regardless of vaccination status.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
If the state provides no assistance for homeschooling, then homeschoolers lose nothing. Or am I misunderstanding?
You’re misunderstanding. Homeschoolers would no longer legally be in compliance with the law unless they vaccinate if exemptions went away or were limited. They could get into big trouble. Maybe CPS would come to their home? They would not be able to homeschool or send their kids to school unless they vaccinated for everything that’s on the schedule.
Quote:
Would a parent be denied access to online school materials from a school district due to non vaccination? That wouldn’t be right in my opinion.
If they are not in compliance with the law then I don’t see how they could do online school. Online school is very much like public school at home so I’m assuming they would have to turn their forms into the online school.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yes and states should provide options for the unvaccinated kids who don’t have a waiver. They should not require vaccines other than for kids who are enrolled in brick and mortar schools.

They should also provide the same level of support for homeschool/online kids regardless of vaccination status.

I agree they should but for the states where homeschoolers are already held to the same standards in terms of vaccines, they aren’t going to roll the law back after they start chipping away at exemptions. One day people won’t have a choice.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You’re misunderstanding. Homeschoolers would no longer legally be in compliance with the law unless they vaccinate if exemptions went away or were limited. They could get into big trouble. Maybe CPS would come to their home? They would not be able to homeschool or send their kids to school unless they vaccinated for everything that’s on the schedule.

If they are not in compliance with the law then I don’t see how they could do online school. Online school is very much like public school at home so I’m assuming they would have to turn their forms into the online school.
Seems illogical to me. Homeschoolers and online students shouldn’t have to show proof of vaccination. If they’re at home, they pose no danger to any student sitting in the classroom of a public school. If they want to participate in a sports team on campus, then yes proof of vaccine is reasonable and no more than is asked of any other student.

Does your state have a particularly poor vaccination rate?

Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
To post #853

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Stop it. She didn't say people weren't afraid of the chicken pox. It's not a "harmless childhood condition". It's a virus. Mild for some people, not so mild for others. That certain people seem to want their children to become ill with a virus, any virus, is a bit strange to me. Fever, misery, itching, scars. And those are the mild/normal symptoms, not the possible complications.
Thank you, TXNGL! Nor did I say it was an "inconvenience" as another posted posited, as if chickenpox was just something that kept me from "doing my thing" while my kids were sick. At best, it IS an inconvenience. The child has to be isolated until the pox are scabbed over. Usually that means a parent has to be isolated with the child. When my kids had cpx between Thanksgiving and Christmas, DH and I would go out one at a time to do some Christmas shopping while the other stayed home with the kids. I was just working very part-time at the time, so I stayed home while he was at work. However, my kids were very sick as well, and it was difficult to watch them and not be able to help much. And now they have the 1 in 3 risk of shingles, while those who got vaccinated have a much lower risk.

Quote:
These 2 statements are why I don’t get the anti vaxxer game plan.

There is no forcible vaccination law. So why get upset?

They should be the biggest proponents of medically eligible folks getting vaccinated. Instead, they’ve spread their unfounded fear far and wide causing vaccine rates to fall and leading to measles outbreaks like the one in NYC. And now they’re upset because their plan worked and public health officials are responding in ways they don’t like. The law of unintended consequences is biting them in the hind quarters.
They're also upset now that measles is spreading in some of their areas, and people they know are getting infected. See Jo48's post #838. This wasn't supposed to happen! They were "hiding in the herd".

Quote:
I think your confusion comes from a lack of understanding of the theory of herd immunity.

People are upset because their kids are at risk of being excluded from schools and society, marginalized, mocked and ridiculed for having legitimate concerns.

There is not another medical product that is quite as untouchable as vaccines. You’re not allowed to even question anything about them without getting attacked, mocked, ridiculed, etc. There’s a lot of misunderstanding. There’s also a lot of propaganda and underhanded tactics involved in the promotion of vaccines and anyone who’s been closely looking at the issue over a long period of time with a critical eye can clearly see this.
I don't think you know what "theory" means, scientifically. And there is nothing in herd immunity theory that says anyone should be mocked or ridiculed.

Vaccine opponents are spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) about vaccines causing all sorts of horrific events up to and including death.

https://www.livescience.com/21491-wh...of-theory.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies