Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 06:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Who suggested that the violence was a direct result of the PTSD from several generation ago when they would have had to be living and the victim of it to have had that direct impact? I don't understand where you are trying to go as that seems like a straw man. Besides, the black homicide rate is down from the 90's and 80's. Growing up in these environments created from those broken from past trauma results in much contemporary trauma from from poverty and violence....that directly impacts them. How many people have you seen shot, stabbed or killed?
That was the entire point of the first video you posted.

The presenter listed off the symptoms of PTSD, and said when Mom has those symptoms (the former slave) little Johnny or Mary will pick up on those behaviors too, and will parent that way too, even though they weren't slaves themselves. They've learned the behaviors of someone suffering from PTSD.

Violence, hypervigiliance, quickness to anger, etc. She also mentioned sleep problems, but I don't know that the AA community is plagued with sleep problems, which isn't really something you can pass on by example anyway.

I haven't seen any shot, stabbed or killed directly.

If violence in the black community, and poverty and lack of males taking responsibility for their own children is on the decline, maybe this entire conversation is for naught? Maybe the problems are being solved?

I did listen attentively to the argument made in the first video, and I agree with her. The symptoms of PTSD can be passed on to future generations, even though they didn't experience the original cause of trauma.

Because their parents have the maladaptive behaviors associated with PTSD.

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Post traumatic slave syndrome
JC, now I've heard it all. You have GOT to be kidding me.

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's a head scratcher that people want government sponsored cash giveaways for reparations but the minute we talk about government sponsored therapy, it's 'no can do'.

Expecting reparations is an attempt at a cash grab and nothing more. And when people in poverty **** it away, then what? Back for more because that didn't quite do the trick? Like affirmative action and quotas, etc., didn't quite do the trick?

I am all for therapy. It's not going to cost you any less though.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:25 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
Should this post-slavery trauma be taken into consideration when hiring blacks? I mean for jobs like airline pilots, firemen, doctors, nuclear plant technicians? We can't have psychologically damaged people in positions that could pose a danger to people.

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
JC, now I've heard it all. You have GOT to be kidding me.
Now, this label would have more weight if it was someone who was a sex slave. With these slave reparation proposals, my White guilt self occasionally kicks in.

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That was the entire point of the first video you posted.

The presenter listed off the symptoms of PTSD, and said when Mom has those symptoms (the former slave) little Johnny or Mary will pick up on those behaviors too, and will parent that way too, even though they weren't slaves themselves. They've learned the behaviors of someone suffering from PTSD.

Violence, hypervigiliance, quickness to anger, etc.

I haven't seen any shot, stabbed or killed directly.

If violence in the black community, and poverty and lack of males taking responsibility for their own children is on the decline, maybe this entire conversation is for naught? Maybe the problems are being solved?

I did listen attentively to the argument made in the first video, and I agree with her. The symptoms of PTSD can be passed on to future generations, even though they didn't experience the original cause of trauma.

Because their parents have the behaviors associated with PTSD.

Right....but you specifically said "Directly linked". She never said that current generations are experiencing PTSD directly....but then you offered your disagreement with the direct link....but no one ever made a direct link.

Now...I am not advocating this person....but some of what he says is also true and its born from the same transference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBbkCUhvrrE

Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 PM

17,597 posts, read 13,372,722 times
Quote:
The one thing that I have noted, for decades now, is that rarely do you have the field of psychology employed to examine the conditions of blacks in America. You will see experts brought out to give their opinions but rarely will you ever see anyone bring out a psychologist for expert testimony.....which is strange given the growth of psychological therapy...which can only come as a result of growing acceptance and efficacy of the field and profession. Yet.....you will have people used as experts, in all other fields, on the black condition except those trained to be experts in examining human behavior.

Well....here you go: I don't suffer under any illusions that people will be changed by what this person says, but I just want it to be known that when so many things are against your position, like historical facts, like logic, like trained professionals who study human behavior.....that you probably are on the wrong side of understanding.....and there has to be a reason that a person is compelled to stay on the wrong side in spite of all the evidence against their position.

Here is a snippet to understanding how blacks today are impacted by slavery still. Please....don't be guilty of employing the fallacy of division or composition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyOr6kM_pvI

Here is the complete lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGjSday7f_8
Question: Are black descendants of slaves better off than the would be if their ancestors were left in Africa?

I believe that they are. The same as Italians, Chinese, Japanese, Irish, Jewish, etc who came here in the past

Therefore we are all even!!! NO REPARATIONS, PERIOD!!! For any of them

Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:
What would the therapy consist of, except for behavior modification and role-play modeling appropriate middle class behaviors?

No one today has PTSD from slavery in the US. They have learned the behaviors that need to be re-taught.

With PTSD victims, you work on remapping the brain response to trauma. This isn't that.

If the presenter in the videos is correct, what the current generation needs is exposure to middle class behaviors and parenting techniques.

Which, in fact, middle class Black americans could teach them.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Right....but you specifically said "Directly linked". She never said that current generations are experiencing PTSD directly....but then you offered your disagreement with the direct link....but no one ever made a direct link.

Now...I am not advocating this person....but some of what he says is also true and its born from the same transference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBbkCUhvrrE
I didn't state that they have PTSD. The current generation, according to the presenter, only has the behaviors associated with PTSD.

What I am curious about, is why these behaviors have increased, instead of decreased over time.

I think the Black community was much more supportive of each other in the couple generations after slavery than they are now.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
As long as it's not cash, have at it, even though I shouldn't pay a damn dime. NOBODY on either sides of my family were in America until around 1900. They were treated like dirt when they got here, but they rose above it.

And I broke the chain of a long history of mean drunks, including one of my parents.

See? Doesn't take a lot, just a decision to do it differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies