Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:57 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,563,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.R.I.O.N View Post
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/201...election-poll/

Wow! The British people are TICKED OFF!

Still far from a majority at only 27%.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Still far from a majority at only 27%.
I'll let you into a secret.
Elections are not about percentage votes but seats won.
To go from zero to leading the polls within a week of launching a party is a stunning achievement.
In any election.
Anywhere.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:08 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,211 times
In an election based on proportional representation within the regions of the UK then seats won will be pretty similar to percentage of the national vote in most cases.

The EU elections in the UK have a much fairer electoral system than the UK General elections.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:19 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To begin with a 're-vote' is a non starter, that is simply NOT Democracy, ultimately that is what all of this is about, don't like the outcome of a vote? Then demand a re-vote until you get your own way. Lets just say for arguments sake that there is another vote and this time 50.01% vote to stay what happens then? People that voted leave 'shrug their shoulders' and go away? I somehow doubt it! A re-vote would be the BIGGEST slap in the face for Democracy this country has ever experienced and it wouldn't end well. I know many people that voted remain that would this time vote leave for this very reason. If nothing else we should DEMAND the government act on the result of the referendum - or ANY referendum for that matter. Democracy is the greatest gift for any nation to have there would be hell to pay if it is taken away from us.
Sorry but I completely disagree with that. The leave campaign last time peddled numerous different versions of leaving, some of which were never realistic, some of which contradicted the others, everything from EEA membership, to a hard Brexit with no deal plus lots of things in between were offered up to the electorate.

Now we have narrowed down those choices much more specifically, the 'have your cake and eat it' options that were always unrealistic have been discarded and there's nothing at all wrong with putting the actual realistic options on the table to the electorate.

Basically if you say to the voters 'Do you want A) the status quo, or B) something else that you might like better' then you will often get a vote for B just because it can mean anything to anybody. But that shouldn't bind the public into having to accept ANYTHING that gets negotiated in the name of B after that, if the 'something else' options that are realistically available are all bad and unpopular then why force that on the public?

If the public are happy to go with the B options that are still available then the leavers will win the second vote anyway so what is there to be scared of from a leaver perspective in asking the British people whether they actually want the specific terms of leaving that are now on offer?

Old 04-24-2019, 03:27 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,563,867 times
Brexit was sold to the Brit without any detailed explanation of what it would really entail and how it would be achieved. It was sold preying on anti immigrant and anti Europe hysteria. No surprise that an exit plan can't be agreed upon as that part of Brexit was never fully worked out.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Brexit was sold to the Brit without any detailed explanation of what it would really entail and how it would be achieved. It was sold preying on anti immigrant and anti Europe hysteria. No surprise that an exit plan can't be agreed upon as that part of Brexit was never fully worked out.
Every household in the UK received a leaflet from the Government promising to enact the outcome of the referendum.
The ONLY people calling for a 2nd vote are those who lost the first.
You're embarrassing yourself by pretending otherwise.
Stay classy.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:14 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
I think since the vote ended p as leaving the EU. They should leave, but I also think that when they eave it should be a hard BREXIT, not British but I have several cousins, aunts and family friends that live in England/Scotland.I love the U.K, they play my favorite sport, Tottenham is my favorite sports team and Grime and U.K Drill are some of my favorite music genres.

But, it has to be a hard Brexit. If their isn't a hard Brexit, the EU might as well rip up it's constitution, because their is no way you should be able to leave with many of the benefits of the EU in the first place still attached. UK can pivot to America and Trump and turn it's back completely on Europe. This is this is the only thing that makes sense as a third party observer, it shouldn't be easy to leave the EU (if it was their would no reason to be in the EU, everyone who wanted would have their own Exit that gives them the most benefit relative to others, if countries don't like the EU laws or follow them, kick them out or let them go), it might hurt but it should be a hard bandage rip, with no pussyfooting done.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:38 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Is any progress toward Brexit occurring at the moment?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Is any progress toward Brexit occurring at the moment?
No.
Which is why the Brexit Party has done so well since its launch just over a week ago.
Just as example 24 hours ago it's Twitter account passed 100,000 followers.
Another 15,000 people have joined it since.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:35 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
My Brexiteer friend stopped by The Brexit Party (TBP) stall in Basingstoke to pick up leaflets for distribution. I don't know if there is a permanent stall or if it was just today. So if you are in the vicinity (I don't know the exact address but can ask if you want) stop by to show support.

Also told me this:
Y’day, the FT: One of the UK Conservative party’s most prominent financial backers has donated £200,000 to Nigel Farage’s Brexit party in a sign of the growing disenchantment among Tory donors over Theresa May’s failure to leave the EU on schedule. Jeremy Hosking, a prominent City of London financier and investor in the Flybe airline, has switched to Mr Farage’s party after expressing an interest in funding a new pro-Brexit group to see through Britain’s exit from the EU.

Last edited by PilgrimsProgress; 05-11-2019 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies