Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 06:59 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
IDK... I was in OKC a few months ago and that's a damn fine city. I was very surprised. Reminded me a lot of Ft Worth which has a very vibrant downtown and plenty of big money jobs.

It had plenty of very nice places of entertainment, a large gay community, lots to do, a clean place, few homeless.

OP I think your stereotyping. There's a lot of money in OK and it seems to be fairly progressive.
I know this post can come across as stereotyping, but I'm just choosing states that voted for Trump by large margins. I could easily have chosen Wyoming, Alabama, or elsewhere.

The point is that none of these states are especially high performing nationally in terms of growth. That doesn't make them bad or anything. It just means that when the usual suspects associate red states with high levels of growth, they really mean Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 AM

2,923 posts, read 978,426 times
I would much rather live in those places than California, NY, or IL.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:27 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I know this post can come across as stereotyping, but I'm just choosing states that voted for Trump by large margins. I could easily have chosen Wyoming, Alabama, or elsewhere.

The point is that none of these states are especially high performing nationally in terms of growth. That doesn't make them bad or anything. It just means that when the usual suspects associate red states with high levels of growth, they really mean Texas.
WV voted for Trump for one reason. Hillary promised to put the remaining coal miners out of a job and put them on welfare. Now the vote was one of immediacy. In the long picture the issue with coal mining will have to be addressed but that is the reason Trump won. As I noted, Sanders beat Hillary in WV.

Manchin won re-election and the state voted for a (D) for governor. (The D's made a huge mistake by nominating him to start with but that is another topic).

People love to stereotype and demean people for making choices other than theirs. I don't understand it.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:38 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:

Here is my perspective. If you gave me the choice between Alabama and Wyoming, I'm picking Wyoming. Wyoming is closer to Colorado. Wyoming has a lifestyle more in tune with what I like. Wyoming has a better quality of life than Alabama. I like Wyoming's landscapes.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:29 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
There is very little growth to be had in agriculture. In fact, agriculture tends to be negative-growth. Which is why people are leaving rural areas.

The bigger the tractor, the fewer the farmhands. Almost all growth is in cities. Especially those cities who get the most influx of tax-dollars, or are the first to touch the fresh money created by the Federal Reserve.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Do this yesterday. Find a job tho first. CO might be to your liking.
If I wait on that, I'll never be able to leave. It's extraordinarily difficult to find employment in an areas where you don't have a local address. And Colorado is too far for me to successfully lie. I maybe could pull off Dallas that way.

Speaking of Dallas, it's a red state that people are flocking to, but it's the bluer areas of the state that are booming. You don't see a lot of people flocking to Amarillo or Midland-Odessa.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The libs are flooding "red" states like TN,NC, MT, WY, AZ, TX. The libs have already over-run and ruined CO- it used to be a nice state. FL is like NJ and NY South- try to find an actual Floridian anywhere but the panhandle anymore. I remember when people in FL actually had southern accents.

Libs move away from "unpleasant" areas. The thing they do not realize is that they are what makes those areas undesirable. You can never run away from you.

I don't see how it's remotely possible MT and WY are being flooded by anybody. But I guess when the entire state's population is less than 15% of my metro area. One family of five moving there would count as "flooding".

Let's be real, the area in TX, TN, and NC that are being flooded by transplants are generally liberal blue area: Austin, Houston, Nashville, Durham, etc.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:23 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
I would much rather live in those places than California, NY, or IL.
Not me. I would hate to be landlocked, too claustrophobic. I like living on a Great Lake.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:24 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Good question. I live in Oklahoma and I'm currently getting very close to just quitting my job and packing what I can into my car and getting out. Life is too short to spend it in a place this miserable. The economy isn't bad right now nationally so I'm thinking about doing this while I can.
In your case it's not the location that's miserable. You'll be the same no matter where you go.

In West Virginia's case, it receives a lot of rural pioneers from the DC area. Enough so that several commuter trains (the Brunswick line) run daily.

https://ggwash.org/view/41861/check-...s-commute-from

https://www.mta.maryland.gov/schedule

Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In your case it's not the location that's miserable. You'll be the same no matter where you go.
One of the truest things said. It applies to many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies