Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 06:15 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Once again, who's diet are we going to make them follow? The one for diabetics? The diet that is gluten-free, grain free? Vegetarians? Vegans? Who's diet are they supposed to follow?

There are also people who think infant formula is unhealthy and women on welfare shouldn't be able to buy it, and should be forced to breastfeed only. Even if they can't.

There is no end to what can be considered potentially unhealthy.

Just whole foods. That's the easiest, accomodates all types of diets, and allergies.

I wouldn't even say the whole amount should be that. Say 60% whole foods, 40% open.

There is no need to complicate things.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 06:48 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
We restrict crap like tobacco, drugs and alcohol that we pay for that goes into their bodies and not necessary to live on.

Is soda, cheeto's and candy any different ?

Old 05-10-2019, 06:51 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Once again, who's diet are we going to make them follow? The one for diabetics? The diet that is gluten-free, grain free? Vegetarians? Vegans? Who's diet are they supposed to follow?

There are also people who think infant formula is unhealthy and women on welfare shouldn't be able to buy it, and should be forced to breastfeed only. Even if they can't.

There is no end to what can be considered potentially unhealthy.

I would be fine with infant formula and diapers being allowed on food stamps while removing junk food.

Who says follow any particular diet? Simply don't allow junk food to be purchased with food stamps.

What are junk foods? Well off the top of my head, Candy, cookies and other high sugar bakery goods, salty snacks, sugary drinks, most frozen meals, ice cream and other frozen deserts. Several other categories I am probably forgetting but you get the point.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:52 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It isn't just parents, it's also the disabled and elderly. They will not be getting off of the program, they have misfortune of being poor and old or sick. They have enough problems, leave them alone.

I am fine with leaving them off of this. Good point.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How about groceries paid for with social security money?

Social Security is not voluntary. When there is check box for me to decide if I want top participate in SS then you can decide how I will spend it.
Quote:

There are a large number of people who receive more in Social Security than they paid in

There is also people that get $0.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:35 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No but while they are why not help them take better care of themselves and their kids?
The WIC program seems to work quite well. Food stamps could too

Old 05-11-2019, 07:38 AM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Let me get this straight.
I ask for a handout. I buy junk food get fat and land in
the hospital with complications only to apply and get
approved for SSI disability?

Gluttony is a sin....................
And Medicaid. Free scooter. Free everything. Yep. You got it.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
A lot of people already feel humiliated when using a food stamp card in a public place. And it doesn't help that other customers in line or the cashiers sometimes make rude remarks. It's not pleasant or easy. And food stamp assistance is not a lot of money, they have to budget carefully.
So... WHY buy a 13 ounce bag of chips for $3.79 instead of 2 one pound bags of baby carrots for $2.98?

Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 AM

19,613 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And Medicaid. Free scooter. Free everything. Yep. You got it.
Medicaid can be better than Medicare in some ways. For instance if you are determined disabled under SSDI you get Medicare, after a two year gap period. If you are poor, disabled and don't have work credits for SSDI, you get SSI and Medicaid with no waiting period. There are higher levels of some forms of assistance for Medicaid recipients.

Benefits for the poor can really add up and they do better than working a low wage job. Those benefits are not always just monetary but also the security of knowing their health insurance and food assistance is always secure.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Medicaid can be better than Medicare in some ways. For instance if you are determined disabled under SSDI you get Medicare, after a two year gap period. If you are poor, disabled and don't have work credits for SSDI, you get SSI and Medicaid with no waiting period. There are higher levels of some forms of assistance for Medicaid recipients.

Benefits for the poor can really add up and they do better than working a low wage job. Those benefits are not always just monetary but also the security of knowing their health insurance and food assistance is always secure.
WHO pays for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies