Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 09:29 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
We need full legalization. However, decriminalization is a better first step than continuing status quo. Things unfortunately have to be done the slowest way possible to minimize the "uproars" from the many delusional people who still think we need to continue the blatantly failed war-on-drugs.

People are generally going to do drugs regardless of legality. This has been proven for DECADES now. Cartels aren't just shoving drugs down the public's throats - they're responding to demand with their supply.
this will do nothing to slow the cartels. Neither would full legalization. They would just become the legal suppliers. Full legalization of manufacture and sale of all drugs would be a disaster. Who thinks it's a good idea for people to walk into a store and buy LSD or PCP? You think society has problems now? Clubs would turn into cocaine dens again etc. There would be problems all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 09:31 AM

3,340 posts, read 2,142,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Wouldn’t legitimate drug makers quickly compete the cartel out of business?

In Mexico, exceedingly unlikely. Very different dynamics are in play south of our border.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:33 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Wouldn’t legitimate drug makers quickly compete the cartel out of business?
nope. They would become the legal suppliers by corruption and force. They already have a strangle hold on all the coca fields/producers. Besides it would need to be full legalization of production and sale, not just simple decriminalization of possession.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:45 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
this will do nothing to slow the cartels. Neither would full legalization. They would just become the legal suppliers. Full legalization of manufacture and sale of all drugs would be a disaster. Who thinks it's a good idea for people to walk into a store and buy LSD or PCP? You think society has problems now? Clubs would turn into cocaine dens again etc. There would be problems all over the place.
You're assuming that a massive amount of people are wanting to do drugs currently but will only do so when legal. There'll be a spike in demand for sure, but I doubt it will be as big as you're suggesting. There are still so many people that are anti-drug and will continue to be that way even when legal. And hell, clubs as cocaine dens already exist...they just hide it really well.

Your scenario of walking into a store and buying drugs is already happening, just in a back-alley, Walmart parking lot, drug dealer's hotel room, etc. Becoming legal suppliers at a store would just minimize those other sale efforts.

I don't do drugs, but I acknowledge that it is a complete waste to keep fighting this battle. If other people want to partake in those substances, that's their problem, not mine. Quit wasting my money pursuing this.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
nope. They would become the legal suppliers by corruption and force. They already have a strangle hold on all the coca fields/producers. Besides it would need to be full legalization of production and sale, not just simple decriminalization of possession.
You do understand that US is their one and only customer, and US companies would join the competitions too.

If people can order an oz of cocaine for $20 off Amazon Prime, I doubt the cartels would get any business.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:48 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
To stop cartels or to more directly enrich themselves?

Old 05-10-2019, 09:50 AM

2,923 posts, read 979,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I'd be good with that. Stop wasting tax money on the "war on drugs". Also stop wasting money treating people that are users. Let the herd thin itself out and the "drug problem" will be pretty self-limiting.
I agree overdoses are not really a bad thing

Old 05-10-2019, 09:51 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
To stop cartels or to more directly enrich themselves?
Who cares?

Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Since alcohol is now being demonized as worse than anything, why could they not just do it with drugs like they do with booze?

We are already at the point that a TV doctor is out there touting hallucinogenics as beneficial (despite limited study on health effects), so let's just go for it. I'm sure someone can come out with benefits of meth and PCP and Krokodile.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:07 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Since alcohol is now being demonized as worse than anything, why could they not just do it with drugs like they do with booze?

We are already at the point that a TV doctor is out there touting hallucinogenics as beneficial (despite limited study on health effects), so let's just go for it. I'm sure someone can come out with benefits of meth and PCP and Krokodile.
Meth was developed as a super-drug and is generally agreed to be so.

That's why many modern militaries used it. They still give related drugs to pilots of billion dollar planes (B2, etc.)

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2018/...se-in-wartime/

https://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfa...phetamine.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies