Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
This thread headline is a total distortion of what she said. She clearly did not say the holocaust gave her a calming feeling. The creation of a "safe space" for the Jewish people in the aftermath of the holocaust gave her a calming feel. That is completely different. She isn't in any way endorsing or expressing pleasure about the holocaust.

I don't agree with her left wing politics, but this is just a controvery rooted in distortion.
I'm Jewish, and not any particular fan of Tlaib but this is 100% correct. Cherry picking a few words out of context is BS, but the faux-outrage will continue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 11:18 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
It is not a quote, it's a snippet from a quote. Read the FULL QUOTE in the OP. I don't really like her (Tlaib) either, but it's sick what people are doing to her.

I'm Jewish, and I can tell you that while I am Pro-Israel, and Pro-Israeli state, that the Palistinians in fact got a raw deal out of this. The President is purposely taking her comments and sewing hate for political gain. Don't get me wrong, she was sloppy with HOW she said it, but what she was CLEARLY saying is that it is calming to her that the Palistinians, at their own cost, helped to establish the Israeli State. Anyone with a 6th grade reading level could understand this, which probably explains why Trump and his base are getting it wrong.

To summarize: She said it poorly, and that's on her, but her message was NOT that the Holocaust gives her calm, it's that the Palistinian Response (as described in her actual, full quote) gave her calm.

Disgusting what lengths Trump and his base will go to sew hate and division. Absolutely sickening.
Every single day they live down to their deplorable moniker.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
It is not a quote, it's a snippet from a quote. Read the FULL QUOTE in the OP. I don't really like her (Tlaib) either, but it's sick what people are doing to her.

I'm Jewish, and I can tell you that while I am Pro-Israel, and Pro-Israeli state, that the Palistinians in fact got a raw deal out of this. The President is purposely taking her comments and sewing hate for political gain. Don't get me wrong, she was sloppy with HOW she said it, but what she was CLEARLY saying is that it is calming to her that the Palistinians, at their own cost, helped to establish the Israeli State. Anyone with a 6th grade reading level could understand this, which probably explains why Trump and his base are getting it wrong.

To summarize: She said it poorly, and that's on her, but her message was NOT that the Holocaust gives her calm, it's that the Palistinian Response (as described in her actual, full quote) gave her calm.

Disgusting what lengths Trump and his base will go to sew hate and division. Absolutely sickening.
i gave the full quote. claiming her arab buddies ( who 3-4 years previously were allies with hitler) welcomed jews with open arms is very deserving of scorn and ridicule.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:21 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i gave the full quote. claiming her arab buddies ( who 3-4 years previously were allies with hitler) welcomed jews with open arms is very deserving of scorn and ridicule.
Your obvious distortion of the quote is very deserving of scorn and ridicule.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:23 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Your obvious distortion of the quote is very deserving of scorn and ridicule.
there was no distortion of the quote. your faux outrage over this nondistortion is very deserving of scorn and ridicule.

how does one pretend that something was never said by quoting the supposedly unsaid thing directly? you forgot to address that.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:23 AM

27,657 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Well, its nice that the palestinian is supportive of the jewish state. Good people on both sides? Peace soon?
Side note- I’ve seen the msm use much less to run an explosive sensationalist title for days.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Well, its nice that the palestinian is supportive of the jewish state. Peace soon?
Palestinian WERE supportive of Jewish when the Jewish community needed home. Their generosity has been paid back horribly: been anti-peace. I don't see anything wrong with what Tlaib said

Old 05-13-2019, 11:40 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,289,289 times
Quote:
wrong x2. the headline is not a distortion of what she said. your claim that the headline said that 'the holocaust gave her a calming feeling', however, is just such a distortion.

direct quote.

You cut her quote mid sentence in a way that altered the meaning. Yes, her quote is rambling, but clearly she was not implying it was the holocaust that gave her a calming feeling:
Quote:
"There’s always kind of a calming feeling I tell folks when I think of the Holocaust, and the tragedy of the Holocaust, and the fact that it was my ancestors — Palestinians — who lost their land and some lost their lives, their livelihood, their human dignity, their existence in many ways, have been wiped out, and some people’s passports. And just all of it was in the name of trying to create a safe haven for Jews, post-the Holocaust, post-the tragedy and the horrific persecution of Jews across the world at that time. And I love the fact that it was my ancestors that provided that, right, in many ways. But they did it in a way that took their human dignity away and it was forced on them.".
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...57855136147352

Sure she clearly is biased in favor of the Palestinian viewpoint and apparently favors a one state solution which I think is unworkable. But that's different from being "calmed" by thinking about the genocide of the Jewish people.

The great irony is that she has fairly unpopular positions that cause a lot of divisions within the democrat coalition. Rather than exploit those, conservative media plays up obvious distortions that unify democrats and make conservatives look like a manifestation of the facts be damned social media outrage culture.

Last edited by jpdivola; 05-13-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 11:41 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
I agree with you on that part of what she said. Pure BS on her part.

On the Holocaust itself giving her a calming feeling, I don't think that's what she meant at all, though her incoherent ramble makes it hard to follow and is a perfect gotcha moment..

Old 05-13-2019, 11:47 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Palestinian WERE supportive of Jewish when the Jewish community needed home. Their generosity has been paid back horribly: been anti-peace. I don't see anything wrong with what Tlaib said
Yes, there were super supportive during the 1921 massacre in Jaffo, the 1929 massacre in Hebron, the Arab Revolt 1936-1939, the 1947-1948 war, and all the terror attacks in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies