Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I’m sure Trump hopes she's reelected. Maybe it will give him a peaceful easy feeling.
you're not the only one thinking that.

Why Does Rashida Tlaib Keep Campaigning for Donald Trump?
Tlaib's 'calming feeling' about the Holocaust is just the latest gift Democrats in Congress have handed the president on Israel and anti-Semitism

"Just as important is the question: Why are the Democrats allowing themselves to be dragged, again, by Tlaib and her equally controversial colleague Rep. Ilhan Omar into a debate in which their comments are helping to buttress Trump’s arguments that the Democrats have become an anti-Israel party that condones anti-Semitism? "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 11:38 AM

17,597 posts, read 13,372,722 times
She is either a liar or ignorant or both

https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/rep-...fter-holocaust

Quote:
Her remarks were quickly refuted by commentators, including Israeli historian Benny Morris. Morris told Ha’aretz that the Arabs of British Mandatory Palestine “did nothing to alleviate the suffering of the Jews at Nazi hands.”

In prestate Palestine, Muhammad Amin al-Husayni, the grand mufti of Jerusalem, opposed all immigration of Jews into Palestine, and during World War II campaigned against the transfer of Jewish refugees to Palestine. He also reportedly worked with the Nazis to prevent the establishment of a Jewish homeland.

In addition, the Palestinian-Arab residents revolted against the British, which led to restrictions on Jewish immigration to British Mandate Palestine, depriving Jews of a “safe haven.”
But, no, everyone is using her remarks as
Quote:
“for using the tragedy of the Holocaust in a transparent attempt to score political points.”
What a piece of work!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:41 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

What a piece of work!
for the msm the obvious story is 'republicans pounce!' not 'tlaib again says something unbelievably stupid and offensive.'

Old 05-14-2019, 11:46 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
wait.. so now arabs supported the formation of a jewish state?

latest news is she's sticking to her guns.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/13/polit...nts/index.html

https://twitter.com/RashidaTlaib/sta...s%2Findex.html
What is it that you don’t like about her statement? That Palestinians gave sanctuary to Jews during WW II?

Old 05-14-2019, 11:47 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,510,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Prominent Democrats are defending the anti-Semitism of their members like Tlaib. This is literally making me sick to my stomach.

What is next?
It's making me sick too.

And the way they defend it is to go on the attack against anyone who complains about it. I told a Democrat that Tlaib was very misleading with her comments, and he asked me why I'm such an Islamophobe! That's the M.O. - to put anyone with a different opinion on the defensive with accusations of racism or Islamophobia.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Excellent article, with excellent historical background.

It's even worse, though, than Democrats refusing to call out the willful hatred and ignorance. They are actively suppressing the truth! I just posted on a forum moderated by a liberal - a progressive - how Tlaib was inaccurate about Arabs warmly welcoming Jews, and guess what? The post was deleted in less than a minute. When I asked why, the moderator said he didn't have patience for liars like me, and I was blocked.

What I have seen is that leftists are desperate to defend anything a Muslim says, regardless of how incendiary is to Jews, and how false, and how likely it is to perpetuate antisemitism. What I can't figure out is why.
There was nothing hateful about her comment. I love how you twist her words and then fail to comment on the alt-right screaming 6 million more in Arkansas.

What a smoke screen to try and portray Democrats as anti-semitic whilst you ignore the extremely large plank in your own party.

But this is par for the course.

There is simply no rational discourse to be had wit you because your entire purpose is demonizing democrats.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:01 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Frankly I'm voting for her in the Democratic presidential primary.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:10 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
No. Just attempting to limit the garbage.

She implied no such thing. Simply pointed out that to a large degree the victory of the Jews in Israel was paid for by the blood and estate of Palestinian Arabs.

I remain a fan of the Israeli Zionists who successfully overcame impossible odds to found a nation.

But I have no fondest for any religious state...whether Muslim or Jew or Christian. Simply a terrible idea.
If she wasn't implying that her people left their land voluntarily out of the goodness of their hearts to help the Jews, what is it that gives her a calming effect ?

Is it what you claim she did --- " Simply pointed out that to a large degree the victory of the Jews was paid for by Palestinian Arab blood and land" ? That's what calms her down after thinking of the Holocaust ? Strange coping mechanism, imo.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:21 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

What a piece of work!
The Jews and Arabs killed each other over more than 50 years prior to the establishment of Israel. And a large contingent of the Jews were in fact illegal aliens in the English mandate. So we had a contingent of illegal aliens supporting their religious brethren in physically forcing the Arabs out of the area.

The Jews fought for and seized Palestine from the Arabs. They did what they had to do to establish Israel. But the rest of the world allowed the Arabs to be treated awfully and things have never been made right.

I would also note that the Western World placed the Jewish home land in the Middle East not in Europe. Are we all naive enough to think that was not deliberate?

Old 05-14-2019, 12:48 PM

716 posts, read 357,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
There was nothing hateful about her comment. I love how you twist her words and then fail to comment on the alt-right screaming 6 million more in Arkansas.

What a smoke screen to try and portray Democrats as anti-semitic whilst you ignore the extremely large plank in your own party.

But this is par for the course.

There is simply no rational discourse to be had wit you because your entire purpose is demonizing democrats.
The purpose of denouncing Tlaib is not to "demonize" Democrats. Your opinions are tainted because you look at the world through a distortive partisan lens. I would condemn a Republican who made the same outrageous claim as Tlaib did. It's a shame that you have no ability to criticize her because of your extreme political partisanship.

1) First you ignore the primary objection to her comments, which is her absolutely grotesque revisionist version of history. This is FACT, not opinion. Links have been repeatedly cited in this thread to support the FACTs.
It's no wonder you ignored it.

2) Your what aboutism simply won't work here. You should give up that tactic. How the heck can you compare some skinheads in Arkansas to the Democratically-controlled US House of Representives??? The Democratic party has an anti-Semitism problem. The first step in effectively dealing with it is to publicly admit it (I firmly believe that the leadership has done that privately. They fear doing so publicly because it would split the party.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies