Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 05:26 PM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Most Jews still vote for Democrats. Are they voting against their best interests?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
When I read her quote I didn't get that the Holocaust gave her a calming feeling but it was that during that time Palestinians helped Jews.

Reading comprehension is so underrated these days.

Having said that -- I think there is a healthy debate on HOW much the Palestinians helped.

But the headline of this thread, and Chaney's claims are either purposely false (which is kind of sketchy) or we have serious issues with reading comprehension.
Your 1st paragraph inadvertently points out the underlying falsehood of Tlaib's statements.

Let's say a person with your reading comprehension skill is right, and she meant that Palestinian Arabs 'helped' Jews. You'd agree that normally, 'helped' means a voluntary act done willingly by the helper ?

There can be healthy debates over lots of things between Arabs and Jews, but no way, no how did Arabs voluntarily 'help' in the creation if a 'safe haven' for Jews. The saving grace for Tlaib was at the very end of her comments when she said the 'safe haven' was forced upon her people. But if a person of your reading comprehension skill missed those few words, she succeeded in conveying a fake history to glorify the Arabs.

I agree she didn't mean thoughts of the Holocaust give her a calming feeling.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Most Jews still vote for Democrats. Are they voting against their best interests?
I would say so.

There IS a "JEXIT" (Jewish Exit movement) from the Dem Party ever since the Dem politicians' anti-Semitism has been openly stated, and not only not censured but incredulously actually endorsed by Dem Party leaders.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:44 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Your 1st paragraph inadvertently points out the underlying falsehood of Tlaib's statements.

Let's say a person with your reading comprehension skill is right, and she meant that Palestinian Arabs 'helped' Jews. You'd agree that normally, 'helped' means a voluntary act done willingly by the helper ?

There can be healthy debates over lots of things between Arabs and Jews, but no way, no how did Arabs voluntarily 'help' in the creation if a 'safe haven' for Jews. The saving grace for Tlaib was at the very end of her comments when she said the 'safe haven' was forced upon her people. But if a person of your reading comprehension skill missed those few words, she succeeded in conveying a fake history to glorify the Arabs.

I agree she didn't mean thoughts of the Holocaust give her a calming feeling.
I agree with you -- the actual context of what she said may debatable but she didn't say the Holocaust gave her a calming feeling. I have to admit I don't know enough of the details to argue against or for...but preliminary reading leads me to believe there is room for a healthy debate against her true meaning.

And Chaney (who really was the catalyst of this misleading campaign) chose to just focus on that misinformation because it is simple and basic and feeds the stereotypes. To have a thoughtful debate/discussion of history and what the Palestinians did or didn't do for the Jews during the Holocaust would have been required to much thought and information.

So they go 'basic' and the tired rant.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
A Republican hasn’t represented Tlaib’s district since 1949.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mich...ional_district

Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
A Republican hasn’t represented Tlaib’s district since 1949.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mich...ional_district
Proof that it's a district of bigots. Race bigots. Religion bigots. Like many Dems. How sad.

Here's something eye-opening many don't know about Chicago, which has been run by Dems for decades...

White Democrats in Chicago insisted that Chicago's "Equity Insurance" program be implemented.

Chicago Isn't Just Segregated, It Basically Invented Modern Segregation - Chicago Magazine

VERY important to read the Chicago Magazine article. Much of the info is just simply jaw-dropping. For example, it was White Democrats who in the 1980s insisted the City of Chicago implement "equity insurance" in case they had to sell their homes at a loss because Blacks had moved into the neighborhood and torpedoed property values. The "equity insurance" program is still in place to this day.

The media never mentions it because the City of Chicago equity insurance program benefits White Democrat voters. They're protected from the loss of equity in their homes caused by what they've identified as "minority creep" into their lily White neighborhoods.

More background info on Chicago's "equity insurance" program:

Plan to Insure Chicago Home Value Brings Racial Rift - 1988 - NY Times Archive

1988, the inception of Chicago's "equity insurance" program was fairly recent, not pre-Civil Rights. And, as I said, the "equity insurance" program still exists to this day....

Old 05-15-2019, 08:39 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,948,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I agree with you -- the actual context of what she said may debatable but she didn't say the Holocaust gave her a calming feeling. I have to admit I don't know enough of the details to argue against or for...but preliminary reading leads me to believe there is room for a healthy debate against her true meaning.

And Chaney (who really was the catalyst of this misleading campaign) chose to just focus on that misinformation because it is simple and basic and feeds the stereotypes. To have a thoughtful debate/discussion of history and what the Palestinians did or didn't do for the Jews during the Holocaust would have been required to much thought and information.

So they go 'basic' and the tired rant.

The actual context of Tlaib's revisionist diatribe was the "one-state solution" and how wonderful it would be for the Jews.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:45 AM

230 posts, read 115,172 times
Some people here really need to learn some reading comprehension skills. She never said the holocaust gave her a calming feeling. The creation of a safe space gave her a calming feeling. Learn how to read.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The Jews and the Arabs were engaged in a long term and bloody battle for the territory. The Jews were moving massive number of what were in fact illegal immigrants into Palestine. The Arabs were resisting.

The Jews won and threw out much of the Arabs. Basically the Jews did what they needed to do to establish their home land. And the Arabs involved were victimized in the process.

Nothing since has made any of this right.
The Jewish illegal immigration was about 10% of the legal one. The Brits caught most of the illegals and sent them to camps in Cyprus.
The Arabs were offered a state along with Israel, but they wanted all the land to themselves, and lost. "Palestine" was never an Arab state and the struggle for Jewish state there was a fair game.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:08 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,095,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
I agree. It is what she meant. It's also an ABOMINATION of history.

The massacres of Palestinian Jews by Palestinian Arabs began in the 1920's and continued unabated through the 30's and 40's.
And of course let's not forget the active and enthusiastic Palestinian Arab support for the Nazis. The Palestinian Arab leader of the time, the mufti of Jerusalem, was a staunch Nazi ally, practically slept with Hitler, and repeatedly went to Berlin to beg Hitler to invade Palestine and exterminate the Jews:
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...he-f-uuml-hrer So Tlaib's ancestors not only did not do what she claims they did, the did the exact opposite: THEY ATTEMPTED TO EXTERMINATE THE JEWS.

And today's generation of "Palestinians" ARE NO DIFFERENT:
FactsOfIsrael.com: Poll: Majority of Palestinians support homicide/suicide bombings and wish for the destruction of the State of Israel
The murderous Palestinian terrorism started long, long before 1948.

Tlaib should be condemned based on the FACT of her falsification of history, not based on the OPINION that her Holocaust comment may or may not have been taken out of context.

Tlaib's proclamations, and Omar's egregious and repeated use of anti-Semitic tropes, have created challenges to the Democratic party's moral standards. Challenges that the party has failed miserably. The Democratic party has an anti-Semitism problem. And that is dangerous not only for them, but for the country.
Best answer yet. Now, to be fair, there was the Faisal-Weizmann agreement in 1919 where it could be said that some Arabs were in fact in favor of the Jews creating their own state in what was known as Palestine at the time. But as noted plenty in this thread, that soon dissolved when the Grand Mufti on Jerusalem got the Arabs riled up against them. And yes, they did NOT welcome Jews with open arms after WWII. Remember the Exodus (the boat). The country WAS under British control via the Mandate for Palestine which endorsed the Balfour Agreement of 1917.

And to finish, before someone chimes in and says that the Palestinians were supposed to get their own state as part of the mandate, they DID. Jordan was over 70% of the original Mandate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies