Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 04:15 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post

To me this debate is about freedom. .
I agree, it is the freedom citizens should have to see restrictions decided on as local a government level as possible.

I do not think one national set of rules is freedom in this case.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:16 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You have every right to your beliefs and every right to form your views based on the Bible. However, those are your views. The U.S. is governed by the Constitution, not the Bible. But evidently some of our lawmakers are having a hard time with that concept.
Geez, you sure said it more concisely than I. I should have read yours before posting!

Old 05-18-2019, 04:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Even those women who are not biologically like the rest of the mammals need to pay more attention. If they have unprotected sex and do not want to give birth, they should be able to figure out how to manage the situation in 6 weeks rather than 20.
Again 51% of women that had abortions were using some form of BC.

So a woman on BC is not going to think she's pregnant, especially if she has an irregular cycle. Even with a clock work cycle 6 weeks pregnant is 2 weeks from a missed period, not very long to get a doctors appointment which can take weeks, and save the money needed to buy the medication prescribed.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I agree, it is the freedom citizens should have to see restrictions decided on as local a government level as possible.

I do not think one national set of rules is freedom in this case.
So you don't believe in the Constitution and following the law? States Rights for you? You know to oppress women?

The Supreme Court, in 1973, affirmed that access to safe and legal abortion is a constitutional right of women. Today, 73% of Americans don’t want to see Roe v. Wade overturned.
The data is clear: Despite attacks on our rights, Americans support Roe v. Wade and the constitutional right to access abortion.

The right to safe and legal abortion has been the law of the land for more than 45 years, and is a part of the fabric of this country. Roe v. Wade is clearly established precedent, and it shouldn’t be up for debate. Yet opponents of abortion have made it increasingly difficult for people to access — and these threats are not slowing down. That is what these unconstitutional and increasingly harsher state laws are about.

What do you think these new laws in the GOP held state houses are about?

Old 05-18-2019, 04:29 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
So you don't believe in the Constitution and following the law? States Rights? You know to oppress women?

The Supreme Court, in 1973, affirmed that access to safe and legal abortion is a constitutional right of women.
Dred Scott was also an SC precedent, until SC ruled in the inverse way. Did you like that "law" they ruled for?

1776-1972 States had right to decide abortion. (196 years)

1973-2019 Feds decide abortion rules. (46 years)

2019-? Who knows?

Heartbeat will reach SC. Will they confirm Roe or create a "new" precedent?

Bring popcorn. Going to be an interesting case or series of cases.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:32 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Again 51% of women that had abortions were using some form of BC.

So a woman on BC is not going to think she's pregnant, especially if she has an irregular cycle. Even with a clock work cycle 6 weeks pregnant is 2 weeks from a missed period, not very long to get a doctors appointment which can take weeks, and save the money needed to buy the medication prescribed.
Women can't have it both ways. Either they alone are responsible for their bodies, or they're not. They are 2 weeks pregnant when they miss a cycle, that gives them another 4 weeks to do something about it. If abortions are only allowed for early pregnancy (up to 6 weeks), there should be no delays in finding an abortion doctor. There is no good reason for women to take 20 weeks to figure out that they are accidentally pregnant or that they want to terminate the pregnancy.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Except I am pro choice, and I wish that there were no reason for a woman to have an abortion. Since I live in reality I know that there are reasons some women choose abortion, and I feel that she is the one to make that decision since it is her life, and not mine. I can not make the determination of how a child or pregnancy will effect their life for another person, and they can not make that determination for me.
An eloquent post!

I vote for you to have this last word!

Old 05-18-2019, 04:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Women can't have it both ways. Either they alone are responsible for their bodies, or they're not. They are 2 weeks pregnant when they miss a cycle, that gives them another 4 weeks to do something about it. If abortions are only allowed for early pregnancy (up to 6 weeks), there should be no delays in finding an abortion doctor. There is no good reason for women to take 20 weeks to figure out that they are accidentally pregnant or that they want to terminate the pregnancy.
The vast majority are already well before 20 weeks. 99% in fact. thise after are medically necessary. Maybe if you tried discussing the reality and not some made up scenario we could get somewhere.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:44 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Even those women who are not biologically like the rest of the mammals need to pay more attention. If they have unprotected sex and do not want to give birth, they should be able to figure out how to manage the situation in 6 weeks rather than 20.
I agree that the sooner the better for sure.

Old 05-18-2019, 04:47 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
But sometimes they don't know that there may be terrible birth defects until after amniocentesis. Or maybe they develop preeclampsia, which some women can die from. It's not a cut and dried situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies