Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:56 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Oh, please, stop the drama. I realize the Right loves the electoral college because it stacks the deck in your favor, but think about this...……...why would not the fairest way to vote be "one person, one vote" ? How is it fair that a certain percentage of ACTUAL VOTERS have their votes cancelled out because of some imaginary line drawn through their State ?

Any other election is run on the basis that if 10,000 actual people vote for one person, and 9,900 actual people vote for another guy, the one who got 10,000 wins. How is that so hard to accept and understand ?

The Right loves the flawed system of counting votes for obvious reasons, and , with Trump declining in popularity, he needs all the help he can get. But the day is coming when this antiquated, unfair system of counting votes will go away, it is inevitable.

Oh, and there won't be this mass succession you are worried about, this isn't 1776 any longer.
The electoral college is in there for one reason: it prevents large population centers from running the whole show by themselves. I don't want California values dictating how the rest of the country is to be run, and I don't care if Trump loses the popular vote next time by 10,000,000 votes (which obviously a good portion of these are illegal votes to begin with). The democrats are going to have to work with flyover country, otherwise they aren't going to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 07:08 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The electoral college is in there for one reason: it prevents large population centers from running the whole show by themselves. I don't want California values dictating how the rest of the country is to be run, and I don't care if Trump loses the popular vote next time by 10,000,000 votes (which obviously a good portion of these are illegal votes to begin with). The democrats are going to have to work with flyover country, otherwise they aren't going to win.
So you're O.K. with some American voters being denied their right to have their vote counted due to the mere happenstance of where they've chosen to live.

How utterly "Republican" of you. OR is it?

The most important core belief of the Republicans:

"The strength of the nation lies within the individuals who live in the country, and therefore feel that the individual’s freedom, dignity, and responsibility must come first and foremost in our government."

UNLESS that "individual" and his vote reside in a highly populated state.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:10 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,404,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
So you're O.K. with some American voters being denied their right to have their vote counted due to the mere happenstance of where they've chosen to live.

"The strength of the nation lies within the individuals who live in the country, and therefore feel that the individual’s freedom, dignity, and responsibility must come first and foremost in our government."

You have to realize, to the Trumper some votes count more than others.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Shows how much you pay attention to my postings. I'm not even close to being a republican.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Shows how much you pay attention to my postings. I'm not even close to being a republican.
We're not talking about you though, are we?

Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Oh Dear me..States Rights advocates going all postal over a state exercising its State's rights. Once again we have sore losing Trumpers going off about Civil War if things don't go their way. Just like Trump himself. Whine, Whine Whine. Threaten. Threaten. Threaten.

What Nevada is doing is what all States should do. We've had two of the worst presidents in history elected because of the electoral college. Time to fix it. The people deserve to elect the president not an anachronistic process meant to protect the slave States.

Hopefully the bill passes.
Yeah... not getting the outrage over this... Nevada, the state, is exercising its right (as a state) to elect a POTUS by popular vote.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
A political action to consolidate power...
That's not what this is at all.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:17 AM

1,199 posts, read 639,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well you’re an insulting inspiration aren’t you? It was a lot of barely literate people who fought for this country and made it into the haven of intellectual snobbery you enjoy so much.
And now those same people are trying to put it back the way it was in 1787, all in the name of our dead “founding fathers.”

Forgive me for not wearing my gratitude on my sleeve.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Where did you see that?

NYC, and L.A. should NOT dictate to the entire U.S. The Electoral College was put in place, and has remained for our entire existence as a Constitutional Republic. There is a good reason it is there, and if people want to get rid of it, they should move to amend the Constitution. The Constitution has been amended many times before. If enough people want it changed it can be changed legally.
Why do you think that's what is happening?

The president serves the people, not the states. I've never seen the logic, in our modern society with much higher population density, of having a POTUS put into office by the electoral college.

Why does the vote of a person in Montana or South Dakota count more than the vote of a person in New York or Texas, simply because there are more people in the latter?

THAT is what should not be constitutional.

The vote of each citizen should be equal.

States get equal representation in the Senate.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The President will sign an EO before the election I would guess and in his 2nd term get a law passed to preserve the EC.
He cannot do that because each state can cast their EC votes however they want to. That has ALWAYS been true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies