Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 07:32 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
This is nothing more than an attempt to stop Trump from winning in 2020. Its irresponsible, dangerous and It will eventually lead to succession. Our founding fathers knew what they were doing “leave it alone”.
So what? Since you're so sure Trump can't stop winning and Americans love him so much, this shouldn't concern you. Trump will win the 2020 election no matter what. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 07:37 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Where did you see that?

NYC, and L.A. should NOT dictate to the entire U.S. The Electoral College was put in place, and has remained for our entire existence as a Constitutional Republic. There is a good reason it is there, and if people want to get rid of it, they should move to amend the Constitution. The Constitution has been amended many times before. If enough people want it changed it can be changed legally.
So instead a dozen-ish purple states do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I like the idea that some States are passing laws that a candidate can not be on the ballot unless they release their tax returns.

The vast majority of candidates have no problem complying anyways. Except one. Anyone want to guess who that may be? And more importantly, why?
If it was not a law when Trump ran, it should never be a law for Trump. Ex post facto changes are a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The electoral college is in there for one reason: it prevents large population centers from running the whole show by themselves. I don't want California values dictating how the rest of the country is to be run, and I don't care if Trump loses the popular vote next time by 10,000,000 votes (which obviously a good portion of these are illegal votes to begin with). The democrats are going to have to work with flyover country, otherwise they aren't going to win.
So instead a dozen-ish purple states do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I find the notion that the lazy people in this county are going to mount a war over this pretty hilarious.
True that. Several groups of bubbas would. If it ever got serious... google the videos of US Army helicopters taking out insurgents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
The problem is that it's purple states as well. Examples are Colorado and Nevada. The scions in those legislatures are afraid that their people might favor Trump and they "know better."
NO red states are considering this. This leaves me scratching my head wondering why this is a thing.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:38 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nope

It hasn't worked since the 19th century. Losers of the vote have been elevated to the WH on several occasions dating back to the post Civil War era. And it's happened with 2 of the last three presidents, who were selected, not elected.

It's been a dumb convoluted formula for 230 years.

Time to correct that mistake.

You have to go back at least to 1824 when the popular vote winner was Andrew Jackson, the House of Representatives winner (EC was deadlocked) was John Quincy Adams.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:39 AM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Is this ultimately any different from what Maine and Nebraska already do?

No, not really. Nevada and the other 15 states would just use a different criteria for deciding how the electoral votes are allocated.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:39 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,876 times
Quote:
This is nothing more than an attempt to stop Trump from winning in 2020. Its irresponsible, dangerous and It will eventually lead to succession. Our founding fathers knew what they were doing “leave it alone”.

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/polit...sh/3760601002/
Yeah, that concept of actual democracy is an express train to Hell. 1790 can't return a moment too soon.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Quote:
FYI...My parents lived under a fascist regime. So I think have a pretty good idea what a fascist is!
If you think this is fascism, then you clearly don't have any idea what it is.
Changing rules in order to jimmy the result of an election is pure banana-republic; and unconstitutional as well.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No it doesn't stack the deck in our favor. It creates the ability for lesser populated states to have a say in electing Presidents. The STATES elect Presidents not people. Remember the intent was that your STATE government was to be your PRIMARY government, not the Feds which have usurped power since the Civil War. The theory was that your state capital and thus politicians were closer and you could have more influence over them.

You just don't want the Electoral College because then L.A. and NYC would rule the entire country and we'd never have another Republican President again. Democrats want ONE PARTY DEMOCRAT RULE. That is what abolishing the EC is all about.

What ??? The last time I voted, I didn't see any State standing next to me, I saw PEOPLE. PEOPLE vote, and every one should have their vote counted...…….no exclusions. Would you want YOUR vote tossed out ?

Old 05-22-2019, 07:42 AM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Changing rules in order to jimmy the result of an election is pure banana-republic; and unconstitutional as well.
The constitution allows states to decide how to allocate their own electors. So what you just said is that the constitution is unconstitutional.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
And now those same people are trying to put it back the way it was in 1787, all in the name of our dead “founding fathers.”

Forgive me for not wearing my gratitude on my sleeve.
One has to be very careful before changing rules that have produced a prosperous, relatively happy country for 230 years, since George Washington was inaugurated on a brisk New York City spring day on April 30, 1789.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The constitution allows states to decide how to allocate their own electors. So what you just said is that the constitution is unconstitutional.
The constitution does not allow for interstate compacts, absent Congressional approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies