Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:46 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

We often hear from the AGW crowd that they "believe in science". "Minds that understand science" are sometimes very selective in choosing what scientific information they choose to believe or dismiss, yet contend that they are fully wed to the scientific method and the veracity of scientific data.

I wonder how many supporters of AGW believe:

1. That GMO foods are not safe

2. That vaccinations are harmful and cause autism

3. That chemtrails are intentionally created to alter weather

4. In using homeopathic or naturopathic medical treatments

5. Use fish oil or "supplements" is beneficial

6. Fluoridation of water is harmful

7. in the existence of ghosts

8. That the earth has (or is) visited by aliens from other planets

Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We often hear from the AGW crowd that they "believe in science". "Minds that understand science" are sometimes very selective in choosing what scientific information they choose to believe or dismiss, yet contend that they are fully wed to the scientific method and the veracity of scientific data.

I wonder how many supporters of AGW believe:

1. That GMO foods are not safe

2. That vaccinations are harmful and cause autism

3. That chemtrails are intentionally created to alter weather

4. In using homeopathic or naturopathic medical treatments

5. Use fish oil or "supplements" is beneficial

6. Fluoridation of water is harmful

7. in the existence of ghosts

8. That the earth has (or is) visited by aliens from other planets
If they do...they're probably the kind of people that just happened to fall into a group they liked and believe anything they say...or they know that some beliefs (like ghosts) won't harm society at large no matter what their belief is, so they just kind of casually assume they exist and don't put a huge amount of thought into it, or they maybe they don't have a firm definition of what a ghost is and just think of it as some mysterious and difficult-to-understand force. That doesn't change anything though. Those people will exist regardless of the political group.

On a side note...did you know there was a 2012 Gallup Pole that found that 58% of Republicans were young Earth creationists:
https://news.gallup.com/poll/155003/...n-Origins.aspx

(I'm assuming all those things you mentioned are false...I haven't even really thought about most of them except for aliens, chemtrails, and vaccinations...and a little bit about GMO's. I'll grant that it's certainly possible aliens have visited us though. I don't see people as unintelligent for believing that. I just don't believe it myself.)

Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Um, no? Not sure how you connected those dots or what evidence you have of any of that.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:25 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Another ill thought out, ill conceived thread.

2, 3, 6 are conspiracy theories found on right-wing websites.

The existence of ghosts and aliens is just a plain inane statement.

Many people take fish oil supplements, including conservatives.

Of course the piece de resistance in this thread is when the OP then contradicts his own arguments because he shows 58% of Pubs believe in creationist theory.

In another words, he shows that Pubs believe the earth is only 6000 years old. If you believe the earth is 6000 years old, then all the science in the world means nothing,

Thank you for proving the point just how anti-science conservatives are.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:35 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
If so many scientists were not employed by government organizations, government funded organizations, or politically biased educational institutions it might be a little easier to figure out. But they are, and some of those organizations have members who report being required to state beliefs with a certain slant.

I acknowledge the existence of global warming, but refuse to blame mankind (and America in particular). Lefties always believe that "someone has done something" to cause whatever distresses them. Conservatives do not.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:53 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If so many scientists were not employed by government organizations, government funded organizations, or politically biased educational institutions it might be a little easier to figure out. But they are, and some of those organizations have members who report being required to state beliefs with a certain slant.

I acknowledge the existence of global warming, but refuse to blame mankind (and America in particular). Lefties always believe that "someone has done something" to cause whatever distresses them. Conservatives do not.
Do you have a source for this?

Old 06-11-2019, 08:55 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

But why do you refuse to blame mankind? People have made plenty of arguments for why you should. What are your counter arguments? You can't just say "The government says X is true, so I'm not going to believe it" if your goal is to be convincing. It's multiple governments all over the world saying "X is true." Leftists like to spend more money on government programs than the right. Nobody likes to just dump money down a hole though. They'll usually have some kind of a reason for spending money.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:02 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
I did start taking zinc tabs at the onset of a cold. They seem to help. First heard about it from Rush Limbaugh. The sophomoric jackass whose done as much as anyone to bring down thoughtful debate in this nation was good for something.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
But why do you refuse to blame mankind? People have made plenty of arguments for why you should. What are your counter arguments?...........
Climate changed many thousands of years ago and drove people from Northern Africa - once a lush forest - to the Nile Valley.
And more recently the cities along the Indus River all failed due to climate change and the population migrated East to the plains of the Ganges river system.
There were not enough people and technology on earth then to cause such a change in climate. The world is warming and the climate is shifting. Same as it always has.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Do you have a source for this?
Of course.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/0...itical-reasons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies