Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:41 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Unless you are a woman alone in a home or a mother who has young children in the home, you can't possibly understand the vulnerability involved due to a ban the box law, firebird.

Most people want to give ex-cons a second chance for a good life and legal employment. but, if that employment involves working in my private home and potentially risking the safety of my children or my safety, it is an unreasonable request to ask me to just trust the employee doesn't have a history of being a violent felon or does and is no longer a threat. I won't change my mind as long as the ban the box law remains in place.

if i'm at an oil change public business, I don't care what prison history the person has that changes my oil. I'm never alone in my home with that employee.
Dear,
Relax because the person -who I pray never gets near you, or your family - could be a crazy drug fiend who has never been in the system that breaks into your home. You think can control crime by a background check that only goes back 7 years ? Everyday there are millions born, not all are nice people. I know preachers been in jail in their youth ! And they are not exempt for running in public office. So, If you feel so unsafe, maybe need see why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 06:52 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
For me it depends upon the crime.
Sex offenders, like rapists and pedophiles? Who wants such as they working in a school?

Road rage turned manslaughter? Yeah we want that guy working as a gym teacher.

Violent offenders need to be outed.

Non-violent like that guy caught selling hash? It's the past.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:04 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
For me it depends upon the crime.
Sex offenders, like rapists and pedophiles? Who wants such as they working in a school?

Road rage turned manslaughter? Yeah we want that guy working as a gym teacher.

Violent offenders need to be outed.

Non-violent like that guy caught selling hash? It's the past.
How about warmongers that secretly wish to glass other countries?
I have seen so many of these type lately with the Iran Fiasco.
How many children and women would be killed from their fantasies?

Old 06-15-2019, 09:51 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
my birth state has been taken over by moonbats

at least they can still potentially weed them out with background checks. so what exactly does loopy lujan-grisham think she's accomplished besides making employers spend more money?
That's a little odd. Some crimes are specifically relevant. It may just be that the law decrees that you can't have a yes-no checkbox on the initial application asking if the person has ever been arrested. I think there's something like that in New York. The purpose is to keep employers from immediately unfairly excluding people for inadequate reasons. For instance, a person might have been arrested at a political protest when 19, and now at 32 is applying for a job as an accountant.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:00 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Then why is there a record?

The gov can easily solve this, just delete the criminal record of the person, officially declare the person not a criminal nor having a criminal past.
Ideally, that is whats supposed to happen after a person has paid their debt off to society, not sure how we allowed it to get to the point it is today though.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:06 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Dear,
Relax because the person -who I pray never gets near you, or your family - could be a crazy drug fiend who has never been in the system that breaks into your home. You think can control crime by a background check that only goes back 7 years ? Everyday there are millions born, not all are nice people. I know preachers been in jail in their youth ! And they are not exempt for running in public office. So, If you feel so unsafe, maybe need see why.
Ive said the same thing about BG checks in the past too, 50% of the time, they are not even effective!

Old 06-15-2019, 10:11 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times
I see this as discriminatory against noncriminals. I believe non-criminals need protection because employers will be attracted to criminals if they don't know their history. Criminals have dark triad qualities that the world loves.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The real answer from their side which they never admit, because it's so abhorrent, is that once someone is an ex con, they should be segregated from society for life and either starve to death or kill themselves. That's the real answer.....
Except both are unlikely, because ex-cons would be more than willing to commit crimes in order to survive.

Why are we making it difficult for the ones who actually WANT to reintegrate into society and live a law-abiding life?

If someone is so dangerous that their past needs to be forever disclosed to employers and landlords, then maybe they shouldn't have even been released?

Otherwise, they've fulfilled their punishment. Let them move on so they're not cornered into returning to a life of crime out of necessity.

Plus, selfish motive here: I really DON'T want to have to pay for welfare for them with my tax dollars.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:55 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I see this as discriminatory against noncriminals. I believe non-criminals need protection because employers will be attracted to criminals if they don't know their history. Criminals have dark triad qualities that the world loves.
https://www.businessinsider.com/ceos...-traits-2017-7

How many CEOs are ex cons?

Old 06-15-2019, 11:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Meanwhile, Trump won’t make e-verify mandatory.

Same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies