Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 10:01 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
A child does not have to continue to pay for being neglected. Its called child protective services and they should do their job. No amount of free food is going to make a neglectful parent fee their kid. Its not a matter of not having food its a matter of parental neglect. The point is children are not going hungry.

And yes you claim children are going hungry so you do need to give me some evidence of it or your words have no credibility. I have searched for evidence of actual hunger in children in the US and found no evidence.

Strange? You brought up Christians and Jesus.
Who is off the hook. One, these children arent suffering and they are not going hungry, two there is a SNAP program that provides food for the less fortunate in addition to free lunch and breakfast at school and a variety of charitable organizations that provide food banks and even cooked meals. And yes my church is one and yes I donate to the food bank.

I'm not sure why you are trying to shame people for speaking up on government waste.

Be honest. No proof I give you will satisfy you. You know that. There is all sorts of evidence from the CDC, WHO, and various world groups. There are also a LOT of different ways this looks--malnutrition, undernourishment, food insecurity, and even "overnutrition," which includes poor diets resulting in obesity/disease. The goals of these programs is to address much of this. It's still the child that suffers if everyone is failing them.

The point is, you are wrong. There are kids going hungry. There just are, and you can deny it as many times as you like, but they are there. You are denying something that many, many people see. Hunger in the US isn't as dire as it is in a place like Yemen. That is absolutely true. But that doesn't mean there isn't a degree of hunger impacting children in the US. I don't know what the socio-economic makeup is in the area where you are, but I live in a place with low incomes. Those kids are there. I've seen them. You can only say you haven't seen them. But I can say that I have empirical evidence, because I see them. I don't know your situation, but my spouse & I make a decent living. But mortgage, car, insurance, utilities--there's not a lot leftover. If one of us is laid off (which is entirely possible in our economy), we would really have to stretch things. But we'd be okay. I can see how it would be hard to manage on less than we make.

As far as your biblical citing, I just think you're missing the boat, but I am an atheist, so it makes no never-mind to me. It's a curiosity to me. I just think you have to do a lot of mental contortion to justify saying we have no responsibility to support those in our society who need it. You are apparently fine with it. I wouldn't be. I guess I took a different set of messages to heart when I was a believer. I think your approach is unChristian, to be frank, but you obviously look through a different lens. You and your maker need to come to agreement on that, and you don't need my approval certainly. If you're okay with it, be okay with it.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:29 AM

5,996 posts, read 3,734,817 times
If the Evangelical idiots succeed in outlawing abortion, I expect this "problem" to multiply exponentially.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Be honest. No proof I give you will satisfy you. You know that. There is all sorts of evidence from the CDC, WHO, and various world groups. There are also a LOT of different ways this looks--malnutrition, undernourishment, food insecurity, and even "overnutrition," which includes poor diets resulting in obesity/disease. The goals of these programs is to address much of this. It's still the child that suffers if everyone is failing them.

The point is, you are wrong. There are kids going hungry. There just are, and you can deny it as many times as you like, but they are there. You are denying something that many, many people see. Hunger in the US isn't as dire as it is in a place like Yemen. That is absolutely true. But that doesn't mean there isn't a degree of hunger impacting children in the US. I don't know what the socio-economic makeup is in the area where you are, but I live in a place with low incomes. Those kids are there. I've seen them. You can only say you haven't seen them. But I can say that I have empirical evidence, because I see them. I don't know your situation, but my spouse & I make a decent living. But mortgage, car, insurance, utilities--there's not a lot leftover. If one of us is laid off (which is entirely possible in our economy), we would really have to stretch things. But we'd be okay. I can see how it would be hard to manage on less than we make.

As far as your biblical citing, I just think you're missing the boat, but I am an atheist, so it makes no never-mind to me. It's a curiosity to me. I just think you have to do a lot of mental contortion to justify saying we have no responsibility to support those in our society who need it. You are apparently fine with it. I wouldn't be. I guess I took a different set of messages to heart when I was a believer. I think your approach is unChristian, to be frank, but you obviously look through a different lens. You and your maker need to come to agreement on that, and you don't need my approval certainly. If you're okay with it, be okay with it.
Sure it will if it is proof and not biased reports based on a food insecurity questionnaire mailed out to individuals.

If Im wrong show me actual hungry kids. Americans dont even know what it is to go hungry. Hunger is Sudan, Yemen, Asia, Latin America. Hunger is not skipping a meal here and there, it is not being fed junk food and fast food instead of nutritious food. You can keep saying we have a problem with childhood hunger and malnutrition in America all you want be there is no actual documentation that America has an issue with hunger or that children are going hungry.

I've state I live in a rural county that was/is considered poor so that all grades preK through 8 get free breakfast/lunch/snack/summer meals, EVERYONE. I have been active in the school for 5 years with my gson, see the kids, parents, know plenty people on assistance. Not seeing hunger. Not seeing a necessity to provide free food during the summer everyday.
I'd like to know where I said we as a society have no responsibility to support those in need. We are talking about a federally funded program that reimburses private non profits to provide sandwiches, chips and a drink (of which 40% is thrown in the trash) to any person under 18 that shows up at designated areas.
Again you brought up religion. If you atheist Im confused as to why your inserting Jesus and Christianity into this discussion about government waste and necessity.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:03 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
You are too concerned with "why" a child is hungry. I don't disagree about neglect, but you are asking the CHILD to continue to pay for being neglected, and that makes no sense. There are many, many people who don't do the right thing, don't take care of children. And at what point is that child hungry enough for you to think they should be fed? I never claimed these kids are dying of starvation, but if a child lives in a food insecure home or is not getting enough to heat for whatever reason, I don't think they should continue to suffer.

I don't need to show evidence of anything. I might as well ask you how NOT feeding these kids helps them.

It's so strange to me that you are actually using biblical passages as a defense. And what you show me doesn't say to ME that you are okay denying those who suffer, to whatever degree. "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." Huh. This sounds so much like gospel of prosperity justification. I learned it differently. So, we are all brothers & sisters in Christ, if I remember my religious education. We have one true father, and should treat the least of us as we would our savior...but you are suggesting that that line means you're off the hook if a child's family is not providing for him? Boy, are YOU gonna be surprised at the pearly gates...
It's called tough love. We need to do something to stop enabling these irresponsible adults to have kids they won't or can't care for knowing full well that the taxpayer will be forced to do so. What is your suggestion to stop this unending BS? Since you are also spouting the Bible then I'm sure you know that God would not be in favor of abortion either.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:29 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Sure it will if it is proof and not biased reports based on a food insecurity questionnaire mailed out to individuals.

If Im wrong show me actual hungry kids. Americans dont even know what it is to go hungry. Hunger is Sudan, Yemen, Asia, Latin America. Hunger is not skipping a meal here and there, it is not being fed junk food and fast food instead of nutritious food. You can keep saying we have a problem with childhood hunger and malnutrition in America all you want be there is no actual documentation that America has an issue with hunger or that children are going hungry.

I've state I live in a rural county that was/is considered poor so that all grades preK through 8 get free breakfast/lunch/snack/summer meals, EVERYONE. I have been active in the school for 5 years with my gson, see the kids, parents, know plenty people on assistance. Not seeing hunger. Not seeing a necessity to provide free food during the summer everyday.
I'd like to know where I said we as a society have no responsibility to support those in need. We are talking about a federally funded program that reimburses private non profits to provide sandwiches, chips and a drink (of which 40% is thrown in the trash) to any person under 18 that shows up at designated areas.
Again you brought up religion. If you atheist Im confused as to why your inserting Jesus and Christianity into this discussion about government waste and necessity.

I don't think any stat or study I would show you would satisfy you, and I'm not going to waste my time doing so. There's plenty out there, and you are not open to even the ideas contained within them. You don't seem to believe in hungry children at all. I've been active in schools for 21 of the last 30 years, so I do have a lot of observation. I now work in post-secondary education, and I can tell you there are college students who don't have enough to eat. I see it every single day.

What's happening in Yemen and other places is not hunger. It is starvation. I have never implied the US is in the same situation. What is happening in places like that is degrees worse, and a different situation entirely. Just because it is worse somewhere else doesn't mean we should not do better. We can. We should. Oh, look--we are.

Are there children you do think qualify for free food during the school year? What magically happens to them in the summer?

I mused about how I wondered if any of you against this program were Xtian, as I think it is an UNChristian stance. I still don't understand it, and I'm not alone.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Somewhere between 'let them all starve' and 'just keep handing out everything' there has to be a happy medium.
Instead of handing out food stamps/EBT cards, let's just feed low income children directly through the school system. Seven days a week, let those eligible children eat at the school cafeteria, and every meal be a healthy one. Their parents can feed themselves.

Of the senior citizens who need help feeding themselves, expand on the meals on wheels programs and also feed them at soup kitchens.

Food stamps and EBT cards should not be used for junk food, soda or sugary desserts. They should not be bartered for cigarettes or money.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You should live in Switzerland then where many Cantons have direct democracy and laws are publicly voted on. In the USA, it's a representative one, and you elect officials at all levels to make those decisions for you. Don't like it?

Vote the buggers out next election. That's how it works.
We did

that's how you know who got in there

Old 06-20-2019, 05:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
This country is not abundant with opportunities unless you already have the money or know the right people.
I was born in the shadow of a mill and raised by my grandparents after Mom couldn’t be bothered. I started working scrubbing pots in a hospital kitchen at 14. I paid for my own college and worked full time while doing it. If you want to sing a sad song, I’ll match you note for note. I moved cross country alone at 22 for a job. I now have 2 graduate degrees and am a recognized expert in my field. I own two dozen investment properties. No one gave me a thing along the way.

My wife arrived in this country at 22 with $50 and an overnight bag. With English as a second language. She also now has two graduate degrees, and by the time she was 30 was making six figures.

This country is full of opportunities. If you don’t see one, then make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I was one of those kids. My teachers even hated my guts and let me know often how little they thought of me. I guess it was inevitable that I would grow up to be so worthless as an adult. Even after three college degrees for fields that are in demand employers still view me as too worthless to hire. I haven't been employed in nearly ten years. That's a special kind of worthless right there as people like to point out. And God never healed me after many years of praying.
So blame it all on your invisible sky friend? By my measure you’re just a whiner.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:04 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This country did a near identical summer program for years until the mid 80’s.

It’s a good program. If I have to pay for wars, then you can pay for summer food programs. Stop crying
obama's wars haven't been paid for. false equivalency.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Instead of handing out food stamps/EBT cards, let's just feed low income children directly through the school system. Seven days a week, let those eligible children eat at the school cafeteria, and every meal be a healthy one. Their parents can feed themselves.

Of the senior citizens who need help feeding themselves, expand on the meals on wheels programs and also feed them at soup kitchens.

Food stamps and EBT cards should not be used for junk food, soda or sugary desserts. They should not be bartered for cigarettes or money.
But you have no issues with $180 million dollar drones, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies