Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It’s not widely known, but they started as a jug band, then LSD came along and morphed them into the Grateful Dead.

Well, actually, it morphed them into The Warlocks, until they discovered the name was taken by another band, so they changed it to The Grateful Dead.

The original Warlocks eventually ended up changing their name to the Velvet Underground.
I've always loved how Jerry Garcia explains that playing at acid test parties allowed them a freedom that helped them develop their music. Paraphrasing here... "we weren't expected to perform well or at any level really, or at all."

On the Acid Tests, Garcia says, “Mostly it was completely free, there was no real performance of any kind involved. Everybody there was as much performer as audience.”

Garcia says that the band fell in with the Acid Tests for about six months, but recalls that it was the most important time for the band in terms of finding a direction.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jerry...G2kGxMaBFcPUdN

Old 06-20-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Poor America.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:53 AM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Only in Trumpland could respect and support be measured by crowd size.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Well.....myself and friends WOULD travel as far as 2 hours from home to go to a Trump rally about the same distance as a concert. But more like a country concert or a Christian concert, more about God and country.
Reminds me of a something I heard not too long ago...

“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”

Old 06-20-2019, 11:57 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Only in Trumpland could respect and support be measured by crowd size.

Said by those who don't have it.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:57 AM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Well if you consider the Grateful Dead "too commercial," maybe there's a comparison to Trump that fits, but really? First time I've ever heard of this band that probably performed live more than any other as "too commercial." Usually "counter-culture" is more what comes to mind with most people who know anything about the Grateful Dead going back to the beginning.
I only listened to classical and gospel & bluegrass growing up. I listened to the forbidden stations while my parents were working. Nice girls did not listen to THAT kind of music.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My husband and I both have full time jobs. We also own a business together. Beside those two things plus family commitments and other things going on in our lives, we don't really have time to attend any political rally.

Look, we loved Obama. It is my opinion that Obama is one of the greatest presidents this country ever had. And yet not once did we attend his rallies.

I loved Hillary. I still hold the opinion that she would have made a great president. Never attended her rallies, though.

Don't know how Trump supporters could have the time to attend his rallies like that.
Same...

I've always been very interested in politics, and I strongly believe that politics is very important, but I've also never been one to attend rallies or even march for this cause or that. Just not how I engage politically. I think this is true for most Americans, but to hear Trump and his followers talk about attendance at these rallies, you'd think it was the Second Coming.

Of course crowds that have filled the seats to hear people like JFK, MLK and Obama speak has meaning. What concerns me is the meaning of so many people filling seats to hear someone like Trump instead...

Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
You beat me to it. When I read the sentence you quoted in the post you were replying to above, the bolded was the first thing I thought about.
Beat me too, but I'm only now catching up with the comments posted in this thread after I started it yesterday morning. This also came to mind when I read the one about how "classy" Trump's followers are...

Donald Trump Cracked a 'Joke' After His Supporter Yelled About Shooting Immigrants at the Border. This Isn't a Joke.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...order-militia/

Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Said by those who don't have it.
It isn't the size of the crowd that matters most. It's the people in the crowd and what draws them. No "classy" candidate is going to draw the kinds of crowds that Trump does. That's a fact...

Old 06-20-2019, 12:26 PM

3,841 posts, read 3,068,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well at least when trump has a rally he doesnt have to invite music and movie stars to that rally to get fans to show up, like hillary did.

Or pass out free Obama phones and EBT cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies