Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 PM

39,497 posts, read 27,846,417 times

Advertisements

man, imagine that, if you are white/japanese mixed, you probably have to pay double.

White side pays the black, minorities, Japanese side pays for pearl harbor. (The chinese probably would go after you too) Better off dead anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 10:05 PM

10,267 posts, read 16,023,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Aren't you Chinese-American? I think they'd tax you ass too. Just sayin'
They would, yes! ON the record I'm not in support of reparations, I was just trying to get into the Democrat mindset.

But if black slaves descendents get reparations, what about the descendants of white indentured servants who worked without pay for many years????? You could argue they were able to earn their freedom, but some black slaves were also able to earn their freedom, and buy the freedom of other blacks.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:07 PM

10,267 posts, read 16,023,327 times
AND.....if someone is mixed black and white, would he have to pay reparations to himself?????

Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
They would, yes! ON the record I'm not in support of reparations, I was just trying to get into the Democrat mindset.

But if black slaves descendents get reparations, what about the descendants of white indentured servants who worked without pay for many years????? You could argue they were able to earn their freedom, but some black slaves were also able to earn their freedom, and buy the freedom of other blacks.
I get your point.

I honestly don't think any types of law will be passed regarding reparations for slavery. It is just another topic to divide the country, no more/less.

All jokes aside (and I see your point by the way), Sylvester Magee (May 29, 1841? – October 15, 1971) was a man who allegedly was the last living former American slave. It is over.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:12 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,928,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
The US has paid reparations before :

In 1988, President Reagan signed the Civil Liberties Act to compensate more than 100,000 people of Japanese descent who were incarcerated in internment camps during World War II. The legislation offered a formal apology and paid out $20,000 in compensation to each surviving victim. The law won congressional approval only after a decade-long campaign by the Japanese-American community.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...rnment-redress

It's funny how the US was able to address the wrongs committed by our Government towards a immigrant group but we still can't do that with black America who are our citizens and a part of the American fabric since its founding.
Let me know when you find a living slave...

Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:

In 1988, President Reagan signed the Civil Liberties Act to compensate more than 100,000 people of Japanese descent who were incarcerated in internment camps during World War II. The legislation offered a formal apology and paid out $20,000 in compensation to each surviving victim. The law won congressional approval only after a decade-long campaign by the Japanese-American community.

It's funny how the US was able to address the wrongs committed by our Government towards a immigrant group but we still can't do that with black America who are our citizens and a part of the American fabric since its founding.
One of my relatives actually received the compensation because she was actually interned.

I think former slaves should receive reparations for sure, but unfortunately, they are all dead now.

If 40 acres and a mule didn't happen, nothing is going to happen now.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:23 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,041,445 times
Quote:

Perhaps the bolded portion above eluded your notice. They paid reparations to SURVIVING victims...i.e., people who were actually interned and were still living in 1988 to receive the reparations. They didn't, however, pay any reparations to the descendants of those victims who may have passed away before the 1988 Civil Liberties Act, insofar as I am aware.

That's the problem with reparations for slavery, which ended in the U.S. over 150 years ago. All of the actual victims are long dead, as are those who caused them injury. Dunning taxpayers who never owned slaves in order to pay "reparations" to people who themselves were never enslaved represents a cynical mockery of justice. It also cheapens and denigrates the suffering of those long dead slaves by attempting to put a price on their misery.

In light of these realities, no doubt you'll want to relegate this particular proposal to the "Let's Move On" category.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:29 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,301,951 times
What if you were a black slave owned by a "free black"?

Quote:
So what do the actual numbers of black slave owners and their slaves tell us? In 1830, the year most carefully studied by Carter G. Woodson, about 13.7 percent (319,599) of the black population was free. Of these, 3,776 free Negroes owned 12,907 slaves...
https://www.theroot.com/did-black-pe...ves-1790895436

Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 PM

29,554 posts, read 22,898,941 times
Quote:

I've seen this analogy made before, and it is not a valid one.

As others point out, those compensated were directly affected by internment and the camps. There are records and 'provenance.' How do you even begin to do that with slavery, considering not all black people in America alive today can even trace slavery in America to their ancestry.

Also, African Americans and their families who were directly affected by racial injustice and violence in the past WERE financially compensated, so it is not as if only Japanese Americans were ever compensated.

In 1974, the U.S. government paid an out of court settlement of $10 million (52 million in today's dollars) to those who participated in the infamous Tuskegee syphilis experiment.

In 1994, the Senate paid $2.1 million in reparations for the Rosewood massacre of 1923.

Our government is more than capable of righting past wrongs if need be.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,419,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
What if you were a black slave owned by a "free black"?

https://www.theroot.com/did-black-pe...ves-1790895436
That is something that a lot of Democrats either overlook or willfully leave out when preaching their agendas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies