Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 05:30 PM

39,948 posts, read 26,667,913 times

Advertisements

No end of the liberal loons promising free chit and working to divide this nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 05:38 PM

16,781 posts, read 8,774,545 times
Isn't it ironic how the Democrats who were responsible for perpetuating slavery, are the ones demanding others pay for it now.

Yes I said perpetuating, because no American was responsible for slavery, as it was other countries coming here to colonize this land, whether it be the Spanish, Dutch, English, etc.

So if anyone should be held responsible, it should be those countries who engaged in it in the first place, by bring slaves here before America was ever founded.
But you wont hear the Democrats bringing up those facts, nor their parties continuation of slavery. Heck the Republican party was formed to break the chains of slavery, from the very first presidential candidate Fremont, to the next one, Lincoln.

They also fail to mention that the first black members of Congress were Republican, namely;
Sen. Hiram Revels (R-MS), Rep. Benjamin S. Turner (R-AL), Robert DeLarge (R-SC), Josiah Walls (R-FL), Jefferson Long (R-GA), Joseph Rainey and Robert B. Elliott (R-SC)

The white Democrats were so enraged that they former the Ku Klux Klan to help put an end to it.

Up until Democrat LBJ cynically figured out a way to manipulate blacks into voting for Democrats, most blacks were Republican.

But why let facts get into the way of emotion driven false narratives of today, perpetuated by Democrats.

BTW - Anyone reading this post and doubting it, look it up yourselves. However be warned, you might not like what you find if you call yourself a Democrat!

`

Old 06-19-2019, 05:41 PM

4,985 posts, read 4,000,058 times
all along, i told my wife that Hillary would win with "reparations".
she did not do that, and now she sits on the sidelines.
this is a Winning issue for the Democrats.
the candidate that has a plan will be
the nominee (in my opinion).

Old 06-19-2019, 05:42 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,092,651 times
The Democrats 2020 campaign strategy = self immolation.

I wish them luck on their journey.

14,221 posts, read 7,002,744 times
Sounds like something Wall Street backed democrats would support in order to polarize society as much as possible, while the billionaire class laughs all the way to the bank.

A huge gift for the right wing. Just like means testing social programs is.

But we shouldnt be surprised. Mainstream democrats and the GOP have the same big money donors. They collaborate in order to destroy the 99%.

7,982 posts, read 4,313,092 times
I absolutely hate the reparations discussion. Frankly, I think it’s stupid.

It’s impossible to implement, so discussing it is a waste of time and takes away from more important discussions.

Also, as a black woman, I find it reeks of pandering. Yes, even from Booker. It’s cringy, and I wish they’d all drop it.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,632,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
This is essentially a free campaign commercial for the GOP:

www.apnews.com/a0bccbcc80324280aedd58ed401db797

tl;dr version: Ta-nehisi Coates and Danny Glover testify in front of congress in support of reparations, and a whole bunch of Democrats reiterated their support for the idea.

Legislation introduced by Corey Booker would waste taxpayer money by studying the possibility of reparations, how they would be distributed, how they would be funded, etc.

Just so we’re clear here, we’re talking about forcing white people — who didn’t own slaves or participate in slavery — to pay trillions of dollars into a fund that will be split along African American beneficiaries, who were not slaves.

Everyone involved in the American slave trade is long dead.
The members from the party of slavery and KKK should pay for the reparations.

That party is Democratic Party of America.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,632,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I absolutely hate the reparations discussion. Frankly, I think it’s stupid.

It’s impossible to implement, so discussing it is a waste of time and takes away from more important discussions.

Also, as a black woman, I find it reeks of pandering. Yes, even from Booker. It’s cringy, and I wish they’d all drop it.
Absolutely rich from the Democrats, who fought for slavery, invented and popularized KKK, implemented Jim Crow laws, and still advocate slavery.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,418,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
It isn't just about slavery... There has been another century-and-a-half of US policies that perpetuated unfair practices that disproportionately affected the descendants of slaves. Sundown towns, redlining, lynchings, employment discrimination, wage inequities, poll taxes for voting, etc... All of these things were allowed to continue while African-Americans "supposedly" had the same rights as white people. This affects black people who are still on this earth and has been perpetrated by people who are still living.
The the non-slavery issues that you mentioned here are definitely points that need to be addressed. However, how we realistically implement them is perhaps the question we should be asking.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 PM

10,103 posts, read 5,776,170 times
Dumbest thing I heard recently. Pay reparations with what? Our country is bankrupt. And besides, the Native Americans got screwed over more than anyone. No one gives a rip about them. What about the Chinese workers who built the railroad? You think you deserve a payday because life isn't fair?

Dems would support dog fighting if it meant getting votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies