Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Marshae Jones was 5 months pregnant. She got into a confrontation with another woman over the father of her baby. The fight ended up with the other woman shooting Jones in the stomach. She lost the baby. Now Alabama is charging Jones. As a pregnant woman, the state says, she should not have gotten into that argument.

So the state wants to control pregnant women and when they have disagreements with others?

https://www.pennlive.com/nation-worl...goes-free.html

Only in deep-red Alabama could something so unbelievable be happening. Madness.

I would imagine even most of the conservatives around here would agree this is absolutely insane.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Bingo.

I note that even abortionist states like NY have charged people with 2 murders where their actions have led to the deaths of a woman and her unborn child. If this case makes Alabama like the Taliban, what does what I just mentioned make NY?
New York will charge someone with two murders for killing a pregnant woman, but Alabama will let the murderer go and charge the pregnant woman for the bad luck of being shot. It really sounds stupid when it's spelled out for you, doesn't it?

Old 06-27-2019, 09:17 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
IMO this is a test case for holding women responsible for the death of their fetus... so ultimately women can be criminally charged for choosing to end a pregnancy. Alabama and then what? We should all be paying attention to where this goes.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 06-27-2019 at 09:36 AM..

Old 06-27-2019, 09:17 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So she had an expectation that confronting another woman she saw as threatening the relationship with her baby's father would result in her being shot, and her unborn child dying? That's reasonable to you?
That's for a jury to decide. I don't know all of the facts here, and nor do you. But, under certain circumstances and facts, yes, that could be reasonable to me.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:18 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
We are really stretching the police state into new ground here.

Where is this Baby Daddy? Was he there? If so where are his charges, it was his baby too.
I guess Alabama is a special place.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Every state allows for the charge of reckless homicide, where one can be charged even though one may not have "pulled the trigger" based on one's recklessness leading to the conditions that led to homicide. This is not some new or unique concept.
I think it is a new concept, that if you are pregnant, then you are responsible for another person shooting you and killing your unborn child. I'm pretty sure this isn't established legal precedent.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:19 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do you think there is a reasonable expectation that if you instigate an argument or fight that you will be shot?
Should this reasoning also be applied as Annie53 suggested if a parent is a gang banger, drug dealer or engages in any risky behavior that results in their child being killed? What about any person who is shot or killed engaged in a confrontation, should the shooter be absolved of the crime?
Every situation is different. If I walk up to someone in a parking lot and punch them in the face multiple times while telling them that I’m going to kill them, then yes I should be smart enough to know that I may get shot in return.

As far as the gangbanger/drug dealer drive-by theory, that’s a bit different since there is no altercation or threats taking place at that moment. That would probably fall under child neglect.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:21 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow. I generally refrain from disparaging remarks about entire states or regions, but it seems Alabama has been quite a magnet for illogic and stupidity.

With that type of convoluted logic, pregnant women shouldn't:
  • drive - they might get in a car accident and if the accident isn't their fault but they have a miscarriage, they could be prosecuted for killing their child;
  • swim - they could drown, etc. etc.
  • cross the street - they could get hit by a car, etc. etc.
  • walk up and down the stairs in their homes or offices - they could trip and fall, etc. etc.
  • prepare food in the kitchen - they could stab themselves with a sharp knife, etc. etc.
  • go to the grocery store - they could slip and fall on some spilled water in the produce department (there's always spilled water in the produce department), etc. etc.

And would the victim of the shooting be blamed for the incident if she weren't pregnant?
If this isnt thrown out it will open a big can of worms.

There are lots of cases where men kill their pregnant girlfriends or cause them to miscarry. So if a woman remained in an abusive relationship while pregnant and her boyfriend caused a miscarriage through abuse is she responsible?

Old 06-27-2019, 09:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
That's for a jury to decide. I don't know all of the facts here, and nor do you. But, under certain circumstances and facts, yes, that could be reasonable to me.
I know that if she hadn't been pregnant, she couldn't be charged with manslaughter. So she has special responsibilities above and beyond other human beings, simply by virtue of being pregnant. That may be reasonable to you.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
First off, in Alabama, if someone has a gun you have an argument with they can just shoot you in defense? Did the other girl fear for her life from the unarmed pregnant women enough to use a gun to the stomach? Hard to fathom.

Second, this will lead to the eventual prosecution of women who skip a prenatal appointment, or have a drink before they know they're pregnant. Just wait for it. I see plenty of pregnant women filling the jails eventually in Talibama because pregnant women are human, not baby making machines.
The reality is they are giving women one more valid reason for choosing to abort.....fear of prosecution if anything they choose to do causes a miscarriage.

Let's see......

Pregnant women shouldn't ride bikes, they could take a fall and miscarry. Her fault.
Pregnant women shouldn't swim in the ocean, they could get bit by a shark and miscarry. Her fault.
Pregnant women shouldn't go hiking, they could get bit by a rattlesnake, attacked by a mountain lion or slip and fall off the trail and miscarry. Her fault.
Pregnant women shouldn't mow the yard, the mower could throw a stone and hit them causing them to miscarry. Her fault.
Pregnant women shouldn't hang curtains, change light bulbs or paint a room, they could fall off a ladder and miscarry. Her fault.
Pregnant women shouldn't ride any recreational vehicles, there could be an accident causing a miscarriage. Her fault.
Pregnant women should never disagree with their SO, he could get mad and hit them causing a miscarriage. Her fault.
Pregnant women shouldn't go to baseball or hockey games, they could get hit by a foul ball or a hockey puck and miscarry. Her fault.

And on and on and on.....talk about putting women on a slippery slope.

Meanwhile.....what about that baby daddy whose gang affiliation caused the death of his child? Why don't his actions have consequences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies