Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow. I generally refrain from disparaging remarks about entire states or regions, but it seems Alabama has been quite a magnet for illogic and stupidity.

With that type of convoluted logic, pregnant women shouldn't:
  • drive - they might get in a car accident and if the accident isn't their fault but they have a miscarriage, they could be prosecuted for killing their child;
  • swim - they could drown, etc. etc.
  • cross the street - they could get hit by a car, etc. etc.
  • walk up and down the stairs in their homes or offices - they could trip and fall, etc. etc.
  • prepare food in the kitchen - they could stab themselves with a sharp knife, etc. etc.
  • go to the grocery store - they could slip and fall on some spilled water in the produce department (there's always spilled water in the produce department), etc. etc.

Good grief. If you can’t see the difference between doing those things and going out and physically attacking someone then I don’t know what to tell you.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:33 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Good grief. If you can’t see the difference between doing those things and going out and physically attacking someone then I don’t know what to tell you.
Seriously. I mean, we can have a debate over whether it was prudent to charge the woman, but the blatant distortion/ignorance of the facts here is mind boggling.

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Nope, you're so prejudiced on this matter that you won't eve admit take the time to admit to the facts, even though they've been explained to you. The pregnant woman was the aggressor. The shooter, after being attacked, acted in self defense. You do realize that self defense against serious threat of death or serious bodily injury is a justification for homicide, right? This is why the shooter isn't being charged. Its really not that difficult to understand for those without an agenda to push.
She was so threatened by an unarmed, 5 month pregnant woman in the parking lot of dollar general that she had to shoot her in the stomach to defend herself? Come on.

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Nope, you're so prejudiced on this matter that you won't eve admit take the time to admit to the facts, even though they've been explained to you. The pregnant woman was the aggressor. The shooter, after being attacked, acted in self defense. You do realize that self defense against serious threat of death or serious bodily injury is a justification for homicide, right? This is why the shooter isn't being charged. Its really not that difficult to understand for those without an agenda to push.

I know she was the aggressor. I know she was five months pregnant. I know she confronted another woman over a man, in a Dollar General parking lot, and the other woman pulled a gun and shot her. I know what happened. The other woman shot her in the stomach, she lost the unborn child. And now Alabama is charging her for manslaughter. Because she should go to jail for manslaughter, not for assault. According to you.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-27-2019 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: rude...again

Old 06-27-2019, 09:35 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
This explains things a bit more. The only thing that sounds stupid is people in this thread making statements based on their own prejudices and without a complete understanding the the facts

Marshae Jones, 27, was shot in the stomach by Ebony Jemison, 23, while five months pregnant in December 2018.

However because Jones initiated the fight and continued to lash out at Jemison a jury in Birmingham, Alabama, decided that she should be indicted over the baby’s death. Police found that she was at fault because she initiated the fight with Jemison who was acting in self defence in a row about the baby’s father.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/27/alaba...iage-10078203/
No where does it say that the victim got physical with the shooter. So now in Alabama, verbally lashing out at someone is grounds to be shot?

Yes, it does explain things, prospect. It shows that you must not argue with anyone in Alabama, because if do and they shoot you, YOU will be the one going to jail for that shooting.

It shows the Alabama really is as stupid and regressive as we all thought. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:39 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Handmaid's Tale, folks. In that show, abortion is punishable by death.

The religious nuts in the bible-belt (to include Alabama) would fully embrace a new America where Christianity is the law of the land.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:39 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
She was so threatened by an unarmed, 5 month pregnant woman in the parking lot of dollar general that she had to shoot her in the stomach to defend herself? Come on.
Contrary to the myth that you and others are spreading around here, the fact that you're pregnant doesn't make you a defenseless, docile person, incapable of harming another.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:40 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
In many civilized states, one can only use deadly force in self-defense when confronted with deadly force, or reasonable fear one's life is threatened. One cannot reasonably whip out a gun when someone is fighting them with no weapon, let alone a pregnant woman vs. another woman, and use that gun to quell the threat. If they can in AL, then AL is more effed up than I initially thought.

Just because it's "the law" doesn't mean it is logical or right, or shouldn't be questioned.

Your argument that a pregnant woman who initiates a fight that results in her being shot, disproportionally to the threat she posed, should be charged with the death of her unborn baby is absolutely absurd. And the logic follows that many other "reckless" acts a woman engages in should also lead to charges if the baby dies as a result of an injury sustained, like examples some have provided. If all it takes is "reckless" conduct with the knowledge it could potentially lead to an injury or even death, then I'm sure a good number of pregnant women can be charged if their babies died in utero. Like finding fault in a car accident resulting in the fetus's death, or a fall down the stairs if mom was carrying a basket of laundry, for example, and couldn't see where she was going well, etc. I don't say it a lot because it's usually an exaggeration but this is true slippery slope territory. And you are totally okay with it.

Pregnant women might as well stay inside in AL after this. You never know what one could declare her fault as a result of "recklessness."

Also, the article I read in the OP doesn't tell many details of the fight. We don't know how serious it was or how much the other woman overreacted. You are making a ton of assumptions here. The woman with the gun could very well have escalated it, and considering she wound up using the gun, it sounds to me like she did escalate it.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Contrary to the myth that you and others are spreading around here, the fact that you're pregnant doesn't make you a defenseless, docile person, incapable of harming another.
But it means the state can control you 100%, because the unborn child must ALWAYS be the first consideration.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:44 AM

5,983 posts, read 2,236,544 times
Wait I got it. Stand your Ground.

Mom didn't have to move as she was standing her ground. After all Stand Your Ground does not depend on who started the altercation. I say give it a shot.

So much overreach in the name of "Justice" these days. Just looks like a spiteful charge to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies