Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:37 AM

27,217 posts, read 46,791,599 times

Advertisements

We came here a few decades ago and soon we learned about free vaccinations at the Health department in each County.
Free immunizations which I even had to explain to Americans who were clueless. Some friends paid co-pay until we informed them that up to age of 18 this is free.

I was actually shocked that we were not asked about our status, even though we were legal, we were here on a visa.

Every child can get them and for adults there are reduced prices.

This is the fact that the left won't tell you and the right is not clever enough to keep pointing this out.

I even know of some Americans who know about this fact and have or still abuse the system as there are reduced prices for some items, based on income. One person I know uses her W2, but leaves out her 1099 as the both combined makes her not eligible.

The amount of fraud in this Country is beyond ridiculous and could be eliminated to get health care for almost everyone, who chooses to have it. The person I describe voted twice for Obama but never signed up for Obamacare as not having insurance was cheaper and scamming the system with a W2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:45 AM

5,989 posts, read 2,244,758 times
The vaccines are not free everywhere for everyone. Additionally the vaccine types are limited to ones given to children entering school only, even in the adult program. Vaccines are given free under the Vaccines for children and Adult vaccines for children programs, a federal and state covered programs.

Not all people qualify, some states or local counties may subsidize these programs further to cover more. While the vaccine is free most do still charge a “administration” fee which is the fee to inject the person, usually a 15-25 dollar cost. This is often the charge you would pay at a CVS or Walmart to receive the vaccine, again they are charging to stick the needle in you.

All of this is paid for by the Tax payer as a public good so again nothing is free.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:49 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Medicine sux in this country by most any measure. Even in the best places. People who have been through the mill many times understand that.

We pay twice the price for worse care. Medical care is profit driven and Wall Street and Corporate Board Rooms are not looking to keep people from getting sick, but rather to treat them continuously after they do get sick.

Diabetes and Obesity are "profit opportunities"....dirty air means more respiratory disease. The War on Drugs means plenty of treatments and profitable jails.

I have the money to buy "the best" in health care but my current plan is not to....I'd rather end it at some point than be just another "patient" that no one knows anything about except for the 5 minutes I am in seeing the doctor.

Everything about our system is wrong....from the ground up.

The last doctor my dad saw told him "I don't have time for that" when he asked a question. He saw many more who lied to him before that....or they were simply ignorant. He knows the score.....why would docs want to go into geriatric medicine? It's not really profitable....

It's all about the Benjamins in US Health Care. No one who knows the system can deny that.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:38 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We came here a few decades ago and soon we learned about free vaccinations at the Health department in each County.
Free immunizations which I even had to explain to Americans who were clueless. Some friends paid co-pay until we informed them that up to age of 18 this is free.

I was actually shocked that we were not asked about our status, even though we were legal, we were here on a visa.

This is the fact that the left won't tell you and the right is not clever enough to keep pointing this out.

I even know of some Americans who know about this fact and have or still abuse the system as there are reduced prices for some items, based on income. One person I know uses her W2, but leaves out her 1099 as the both combined makes her not eligible.

The amount of fraud in this Country is beyond ridiculous and could be eliminated to get health care for almost everyone, who chooses to have it. The person I describe voted twice for Obama but never signed up for Obamacare as not having insurance was cheaper and scamming the system with a W2.
Where do you live?

What you are saying isn't true for most Americans.

There are some programs that provide SOME vaccinations for free to those who QUALIFY.

Here is a link to New York's program with the details.

https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention..._for_children/

Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
^^VFC which you linked to above is actually a federal program. https://data.oecd.org/healthcare/chi...tion-rates.htm Basically, the states and some local health departments administer the programs, but the rules are the same in every state. The qualifications are:
Uninsured
Underinsured (some policies that were grandfathered in under the ACA)
Medicaid recipients
Alaskan Natives
Native Americans
An administrative fee can be charged, but no one can be turned away due to inability to pay.

VFC started in 1993. Prior to that, there was another federal program that supplied vaccines to state health departments, 317, which is still in existence. What has really changed is that since the ACA, a lot of health departments do not offer vaccines to people who have insurance. The ACA requires that all ACA-compliant insurance (most insurance) provide well visits and vaccines free at the point of service, regardless of co-pays and deductibles for other services. ACA went into effect in 2010.

It is possible that the OP arrived in this country before 1993.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:17 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,103,068 times
Provide a source backing your so-called “lie of the left”, because from where I’m sitting, it just seems like another right-winger spouting nonsensical propaganda.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,147,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Vaccines are certainly not free here. Our local health department charges for everything. You can get reduced prices if you don't have insurance, but they are not free.

Old 06-16-2019, 07:58 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,833,669 times
Free vaccinations do not equate to healthcare.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:16 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,892,093 times
Most who believe in the American Health care system have never experienced any other form. They want to believe that we are Number 1 at everything. No one can be better. I know I was one of them.

Then you travel and the inevitable happens. You get sick or injured while abroad. Suddenly you at the tender mercies of the healthcare systems you have demonized for years.

For me it was a stupid, stupid act of pride and ego. Amateur kickboxing in a country known for kick boxers. I held my own and gave as well as I got. I was also in my late 30's. Detached retina. I had a lot of fun getting it.
The Thai medical system was to me, amazing. Very short wait, very in-depth exam and treatment the same day. My insurance, blue cross and Blueshield wasn't accepted. So paid out of pocket and took the bills home.

The biggest difference. Very short wait. Measured in the time it took to sign in. To be fair I used a private hospital and a very good one. My bill for everything was just shy of $700 USD. The torture I endured from my wife for being stupid, continues to this day.

There are many systems besides what Canada or England uses. Yet they are constantly singled out . Australia has an amazing system. Norway and Sweden and Finland all have outstanding systems. We dont need to reinvent the wheel (The Affordable Care Act). We need to reapply what works well and adjust it to fit us.

For me the wake up call to reality came from being abroad and needing treatment, now.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
When you're indigent and have stage 4 cancer, you better hope the hospital is compassionate enough to give free cancer care for indigents. In countries with universal health care, being indigent is not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies