Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Would it better if they ate the lion?
People in these countries hunt for food and Americans cause problems when they hunt for fun in these places. It's even worse when they kill off endangered species so they can play "safari hunter".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 05:37 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What savage beasts they are to take the life of such a wonderful creature.

I am and will always remain opposed to trophy hunting. And spare me about how the lion meat will be used to feed the hungry in those areas; lion is not and has never been a significant part of the diet in those parts and is unnecessary for sustenance.

Even if you are not against such hunting, the posing they did is disrespectful to the life that they took. I have been taught by many hunters that the taking of another life is a sacred thing, and nothing to be celebrated like some sick accomplishment.

Never in decades of hunting did I ever take a picture or have anything mounted. I took hides. Had things made or made thing myself once they were cured. Deer skin make awesome gloves. And moccasins of course. I took one "trophy" hide. From the mountain lion I told about earlier. I gave it to the people who's sheep the cat killed.

I have a ceremony I do with any animal I take. A habit I picked up from my Indian buddy. I couldn't do a canned hunt like the people here did. I've never taken an animal strictly for the hell of saying I did. There was always a reason. And the ceremony I do after having taken the animal is to put the animals spirit to rest. Yea yea, Indian hocus pocus but I believe in that stuff.

I don't hold with trophy hunting like with the lion here. There was probably a reason that they were allowed to take it. Some sort of culling thing more than likely. But it sure wasn't real hunting. Especially with an apex predator like a lion. Different strokes.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats pretty sick and demented if you think about it...they pay large amounts of money to go out and kill something that is easy to kill,( no challenge or risk).

It sounds like they get a thrill out of killing and will pay to experience that! I wouldnt feel safe with those people around anyone I care about!
It’s certainly a weird hobby. Idk about “not feeling safe” around them. The people who partake in big game hunting are generally non-violent upper middle and upper class people. The area of the US with the most hunters per capita, the western portion of the upper mid-west(Montana, Dakotas, Wyoming, etc) has some of the lowest crime rates in the world. One can make the argument that big game hunters save animals as the animals they are hunting are all about to die, are already in pain, and the money they pay is used to stop poachers, who are the real problem.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:50 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Why don't you show us a video of you walking into a pride of lions and slicing off a nice piece of wildebeest?
I think I have some old film of me dong just that except it was a Zebra.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Except for the complete absence of anything remotely resembling "hunting" and all his friends and acquaintances now being aware he's a phony as far as real "hunting" is concerned.

Yeah, I guess there should be no surprise some would call that a win.
It is hunting, no doubt. Except it is hunting where the hunter is, or very well may be, the hunted, too. Open your mind and let some reality in. Just because you limit yourself to a Quail or two, doesn't mean others have to as well.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:16 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
I think I have some old film of me dong just that except it was a Zebra.
Well, then "huzzahs" to you.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:17 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
There is a certain segment of hunters who are going back to using primitive methods. It's a growing group. Archery has always been around of course, I archery hunt, but there are others who are using spears and knives and even bare hands. The knife or spear technique is big in Hawaii. They drop out of a tree onto pigs and skewer or stab the animal.

My son wants to try this. LOL, he's ...adventurous ...that way. I think taking on a large predator like a lion or even a mountain lion like this would be ..ill advised. But there again different strokes. If I were to try that now I'm fairly certain the cat would disembowel me and eat me for a snack. Mountain lions are not even that big. A big one that's been eating good might hit 120 pounds.

But they are all muscle and pound for pound a LOT stronger than humans. I've seen mountain lions take a 150 pound deer in their mouth by the neck and zip up a sheer cliff like it was flat ground. Beep beep zip BANG. I'm sure in no hurry to take one on with just a knife if I have a choice.

But I do admire these traditional primitive hunting types and when I was much younger I would have been tempted to try it. It's really gained traction with pig hunting. That's not much less dangerous than trying it with apex predators. Pigs are dangerous. If you miss your mark you could very likely get ripped to doll rags. I'll stay in the tree and use an arrow thanks. Humans are not the most formidable animal in the woods without our weapons. Our natural equipment is sorely lacking.

There are some who do this type of hunting bare handed with deer. But a deer is still a LOT stronger than a human. They use leverage tricks and break the neck in this game. Interesting fact. There are more humans killed and severely injured by deer every year in the US than all other wild animals combined. Including bears, mountain lions, buffalo and elk. A deer can mess a guy up quick fast and in a hurry. Then there are smaller animals like badgers. A BIG badger may go 50 pounds. But a badger can and will chew you up in a heartbeat. They are all teeth and claws with a bad attitude to match.

Anyway I hope some may find this information interesting. Carry on.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
People in these countries hunt for food and Americans cause problems when they hunt for fun in these places. It's even worse when they kill off endangered species so they can play "safari hunter".
Any of these old animals are far done mating. The local poachers kill everything.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:26 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What savage beasts they are to take the life of such a wonderful creature.

I am and will always remain opposed to trophy hunting. And spare me about how the lion meat will be used to feed the hungry in those areas; lion is not and has never been a significant part of the diet in those parts and is unnecessary for sustenance.

Even if you are not against such hunting, the posing they did is disrespectful to the life that they took. I have been taught by many hunters that the taking of another life is a sacred thing, and nothing to be celebrated like some sick accomplishment.
What’s the difference in the beauty scale between a lion and a cockroach?

Old 07-18-2019, 07:29 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
LOL. Given the population of humans, hunting is never a sustainable way of life.

Farming is if you don’t know.

Farming however kills far more animals than hunting.

The biggest threat to the animals is not hunting. It is human encroachment of their habitats.

In another word, our very existence is the threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies