Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:26 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I suspect that crime is based more on money than ideology. Having large concentrations of poor people with little hope for improvement in their lives is bad for everyone.
^^^Nailed it. It's not driven by pigment either. (Although the levels of poverty are a result of pigment based policies)

Now ask yourself. What is the cheapest, most politically expedient way for say...a mayor of a city like Chicago (where I used to live) to deal with this issue?

1) Spend lots of money on jobs, training, diversion and other programs to uplift the community? (Please note, this community doesn't have money for donations and already votes for you. )

2) Blame the rival political party for not banning guns and having a peace march or two when things flare up?

Old 07-31-2019, 09:31 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by End Game View Post
Just swap two words in the title, and this would be headline news on CNN and MSNBC.
It would be the biggest story on CNN, MSNBC, etc. in decades....might overtake the Russian Collusion Delusion if the guy ever said something positive on Trump..

Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) CNN used to be my news for 20-30 years...I dumped them for Reuters this year due to low quality and constant race baiting.

2) I'm totally in agreement as to whom still bears the largest crap from racism in this country. I'd just hope for fair reporting and not one trying to profit by pushing division.

3) I see an extremely sinister downside to focusing solely on white racism towards blacks and turning a blind eye to intra-minority racism. Curious if your discussions with real life people are picking up on any of this racism coming from sectors that aren't "old white dudes".

P.S. I really started noticing this phenomenon when I would see articles like who is killing trans men (mostly black) and I'm aware that the vast majority are killed by other black men but they didn't want to say it. Another was a magazine article (I think people) talking about underemployment\low wages and the impact on the black community where they focused on uneducated black people still struggling to find jobs but hmmmm....absolutely no mention as to whom was working those jobs for low wages. *wink wink* We all know who, but the magazine didn't want to go there. Just some examples.
3) bosses at work in an extremely pernicious (and subsequently hard to prove) way and customers, more blatantly (who admittedly are often old white dudes). Also things like leasing apartments and going to rent a car are specific examples I recall. Insidious because it robs people of their equalness without being obviously racist.

I'd say if the error is going to be made, make it an effort to help people rather than in an effort to defend yourself. Obviously it would better if all sources were above board and had no agendas but it's not pragmatic to expect that.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:40 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^Nailed it. It's not driven by pigment either. (Although the levels of poverty are a result of pigment based policies)

Now ask yourself. What is the cheapest, most politically expedient way for say...a mayor of a city like Chicago (where I used to live) to deal with this issue?

1) Spend lots of money on jobs, training, diversion and other programs to uplift the community? (Please note, this community doesn't have money for donations and already votes for you. )

2) Blame the rival political party for not banning guns and having a peace march or two when things flare up?

From my perspective one side is trying (albeit not so effectively) to address these issues and one side is insisting that these issues be relegated to a distant past.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Bet he enjoys the white dollars that feed him.
The white dollars are likely the money used to buy the dope he probably sells.

Don’t leave that part out.

BTW...conservative Republican?

Old 07-31-2019, 09:46 AM

29,492 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/07/31/black-...IwAR2gqNMPzMYD

But only white people can be racist, right?

More POC privilege.

Trumps fault remember ?

Old 07-31-2019, 09:47 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Hilarious seeing the OP and some of the comments in here from the conservative Trump supporters,....

because some of you are in the pro-Trump thread claiming that Trump and you all "love the blacks!" LOL
Picked that up too, huh?

Old 07-31-2019, 09:51 AM

19,641 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I don't like the fact that "POC" have turned my hometown neighborhood where I grew up (and my parents still live in the house they've owned since 1972) into a ghetto rather than the working class, SAFE neighborhood it was back in the 1970's-1990's when I was growing up there.

But I don't go around shooting them. I just try to avoid them as much as possible when I go over there to visit my parents.
How is it a ghetto? If crime has increased by a lot, they really should move. I've experienced first hand what can happen when people are in denial or stubborn about leaving a declining area especially an area swiftly changing in culture and demographics. I can't believe my grandparents didn't get out when the crime escalated, and my parents enabled it, culminating in me hiding in a bathtub as bullets hit the siding. This is not how you treat yourself or your family because of some sense of pride, nostalgia, stubbornness or virtue signaling about not being racist. I was just a young girl being taken to that war zone. The police even warned us we don't belong there but the family would not sell.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:52 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
True. In addition to that, I find it highly disrespectful to the people who keep the place going by participating, because they've taken the time to post and then suddenly the mod gets the last word and closes the thread - or the mod just deletes the thread completely.

It would be like an art teacher ripping up every pupils artwork because a few colored outside the lines.

And yes, I'm calling us all children...lol.
Once you find common ground with someone, share a huge laugh over something mutually funny ... basically, once you connect with another human being, it’s more difficult to turn around and eviscerate them for having a different opinion. This is partly why I am an unrepentant jackass around here; I’d rather make friends than enemies. And at the end of the day, even after doing battle here, I recognize that arguing with strangers about politics is a rather futile activity.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:00 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Once you find common ground with someone, share a huge laugh over something mutually funny ... basically, once you connect with another human being, it’s more difficult to turn around and eviscerate them for having a different opinion. This is partly why I am an unrepentant jackass around here; I’d rather make friends than enemies. And at the end of the day, even after doing battle here, I recognize that arguing with strangers about politics is a rather futile activity.
No doubt. This is where I get it out of my system so I can sit down to a beer with my right wing buddies (of which I have many) and not have to *eviscerate them. It's therapy of a sort.

*love that word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies